LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor out the top

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor out the top

Well I'm wondering what the best method is for getting the motor out of the car coming out the top. So those who have pulled it instead of dropping the cradle, looking for all words of wisdom!

I took out even the A/C condenser so I guess I have room that way, but before I try to pull the motor out, would like to know everything else. To add more fun this is the first motor I've ever pulled.

Cars a M6 if it makes any difference, I have the wire harness disconnected and off to the side, haven't figured out if its best to separate the A/C compressor from the motor and leave the lines hooked up, or leave it on and unhook the hard line to the back, there wasn't any refrigerant in it anyway.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I pulled mine. I took EVERYTHING(accesories) off the engine, all I left on the front of the engine was the opti, and the hub. Take youur radiator out and everything like that. When you pull it, bring it forward, turn it 90* or so and it should come out. It doesn't really matter what way you turn it.

If you want more help just PM me. I'd be glad to help.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

I took my AC off because I wasn't putting it back on. If its empty, go ahead and remove it. Thats the only reason to leave it hooked up so you don't have to have it evacuated. I pulled mine without the tranny (it was an A4) Since you have an M6, you can pull the motor and tranny if you want.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

^So when you pulled yours the rest of the accessories were still on the motor? I've got the fans/radiator/condenser all out up there. Wasn't planning on pulling the trans.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

subscribed....

i want to learn how to pull a motor too lol
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Pull it out of the bottom it is so much easier.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

That's what I've heard.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I gotta 95 LT1 and i just bought a LS6 Z06 motor. im looking to swap it out. what will i need to complete the job?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

it is only easy from the bottem if you have access to a lift, cause you need to get the car in the air to get the motor out. If all you have is a engine hoist then pull it from the top, just do youself a favor and dissconnect the tranny and doubble check all wires so you make shure that you unhooked them all vs ripping somthing, mostly grounds and engine to chassie harness. some guys remove the hood and some don't, it is your choice. I took the hood and the driver finder off due to the fact that I had to have the hoist against the finder to clear the small *** garage I had to do it in. I also pulled the radiator, condensor, intake, heads, exaust manifolds, accessories, but I needed to do a full rebuild so.... good luck
Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

No lift needed man. Just an engine hoist. You just use it to lift the car instead of the motor.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Its coming out the top. If I had someone near by that had pulled it from the bottom in their driveway then I would have gone that route. Looking at pictures I did not want to attempt it out the bottom in my driveway.

Not looking at taking the heads and intake off either. Just looking for advice on pulling it out the top. How many bolts are there from the trans to the motor? I've been told 6, I'm guessing two of the bolts are near the top that I can't see?

I took out the 6 bolts from the motor mounts to the block. Looks like I got all the wiring out of the way, grounds, etc. Mostly wondering about the PS steering pump also now. Is there enough room to take it off the bracket and pull the motor?

I think I'd probably take the hood off I guess.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Connexion, I'm entertaining the idea now of coming out the bottom. How high up do I need to get the front end? Also do I just support the car once getting it high enough so that I can roll the support out?

I just came back in and it seems like getting the motor disconnected from the bellhousing is going to be a complete bitch.

Does the car need a alignment after doing it this way? Besides the 6 obvious bolts holding the kmember, the strut bolts, and the trans crossmember, anything else need to be undone??

Should I pull the sway bar completely off, or just unhook it from the mounts and leave it hooked up to the a-arms?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, there is 6 bolts to the tranny. 2 near the top. I had most of the accessories off of mine when I pulled it. I don't know about leaving the PS pump. I took mine off before I pulled it. Yes, you should take the hood off.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Connexion, I'm entertaining the idea now of coming out the bottom. How high up do I need to get the front end? Also do I just support the car once getting it high enough so that I can roll the support out?

I just came back in and it seems like getting the motor disconnected from the bellhousing is going to be a complete bitch.

Does the car need a alignment after doing it this way? Besides the 6 obvious bolts holding the kmember, the strut bolts, and the trans crossmember, anything else need to be undone??

Should I pull the sway bar completely off, or just unhook it from the mounts and leave it hooked up to the a-arms?
Corey I was just about to post there is no reason why you shouldn't go out the bottom driveway or not until I read this post. I used an engine hoist on my strut tower brace to lift the car. I had the back wheels sitting on top of the front wheels and the parking brake set. I dropped the whole thing engine, suspension and tranny in one step. The car basically needs to be roughly 3-4 feet in the air and you can get it out. You will either need 3 jacks or a crate with wheels to actually pull it out from under the car but jacks are easy to come by if you have a few friends. The bolts you listed are the main ones that actually hold it to the car but you also need all electricals, hoses and the steering linkage from the wheel to the rack undone (just 2 bolts on the wheel side and one on the rack side (7/16)). Have you seen my thread? Not sure on how long you will be waiting until you start but I should have a full video of how to do this in the next few weeks. Here is the link and it will be featured on my site:

www.ls1videohowto.com

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/935163-motor-r-r-video.html
Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

take off the intake and pull it out the top ... easy
Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

I've done both and there is a reason I'm saying go bottom. Have you gone through the bottom?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I've actually got 4 out of the 6 bolts out of the trans to block, so just two bolts left there and taking the hard line off the compressor and hopefully lay the power steering pump off to the side and I should be ready to try to take it out.
I'm def. going to bookmark your link though, when this new motor goes someday, a LSx is going in its place, and I'd probably go through the bottom next time. I'm close to being ready to take it out the top.

Fast- Do you recommend pulling the intake manifold for clearance or is there another reason? I suppose I don't mind pulling it to take this motor out, but as for putting the new motor in, I'd rather not remove the intake manifold and reinstall once in the car.
Wondering why, so please inform.

Thanks everyone so far. -Corey
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Undoubtably for clearance, it will make things much easier.

I would also do it out the bottom next time, its so easy its painful.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

If you're pulling it out the top, you have HAVE to take the intake manifold and ALL the accessories out. I've done it twice, and I don't see how you could pull it out the top without taking everything off. Basically out the top=longblock.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

up top.
Well I'll def. pull all the accessories as I need to swap them to the new motor anyway, can I keep all the accessory brackets on though? New motor has the brackets on it already.
So far seems people say pulling the intake def. has to happen, any more opinions on this?

Its raining all the time in FL now it seems and the car is outside, so no progress yesterday or today, probably none tommarow either.