Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install part list and questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header install part list and questions

I will soon have headers installed with ORY and just wanted to make sure I get everything I need: (I read the stickies and searched hense how I came up with this so far)

(Updated 8/4/08 in blue with info posted here and in other threads)
The items in orange are OPTIONAL. You by no means HAVE to do them when installing headers and a y-pipe. They are just MUCH EASIER to do when the headers are off, and therefore I chose to do them now, since they will need to be replaced sooner or later anyway.

- Plugs/wires: I bought NGK/MSD brand. Can be had from sponsors on this site for around $65 shipped. I bought from Texas-speed and performance (TSP) (www.texas-speed.com) but there are others.
Use TR-55 plugs for normal use and TR-6 plugs if you are using boost or nitrous.

- Poly motor mounts: I bought Prothane brand. Can be had from sponsors on this site for around $60 shipped. I bought from ws6store (www.ws6store.com) but there are others. This is highly recommended otherwise banging issues with the y-pipe will be had.

bosch 13111 o2's (aka vette o2 sensors). Can be had from autozone or the like for around $70 each. Reason for these o2 sensors is because you wont need to buy o2 extensions for them to fit. If you choose to keep your stock o2's you will need o2 extensions. Its cheaper to just buy o2 extensions, but I figured I rather have brand new o2 sensors.

Header gaskets - Can re-use stock one, but I recommend getting a new GM metal gasket. Though any MLS (multi-layer steel) gasket would be good. I paid like $11 bucks each at TSP for the GM stock gaskets.

Stage 8 header bolts - Can re-use stock bolts or buy new stock bolts, but these are considered better bolts. Its up to you what you want to do here... I decided to re-use the stock bolts. I believe these cost like ~$35-40 bucks, tho im not sure since I didnt really look into it.

Band clamps - These can be had from any auto parts store i believe. They work better then ubolt clamps which most places will use because they wont crimp your exhaust, and wont make it immpossible to take off again later. Not sure on price, as these come with the TSP y-pipe.

Where can I find each for the best price? Also part numbers / links would b great!
I know sponsors sell ngk tr-55's/MSD wires for like ~65 shipped here. But what about the other stuff?

I am still unsure which ORY I want to go with. I have been leaning towards the TSP one. Any suggestions?
Use TSP y-pipe if not lowering, and stick to the pacesetter y-pipe if you plan to lower the car. I chose to go with the TSP ORY.

Also I will be removing my EGR and AIR (my car is a 00 with stock ls1 intake mani.). What do I need to remove them properly? Block off plates? Where can those b located for the best price?
Getting an EGR plug for the LS1 manifold. Can be had from speedinc.com or can buy a freeze plug of equal size at autozone or the like. Costs $2 on speedinc.com online store.

Let me know if I forgot anything...
Thanks in advance!

Hope the updated info can help anyone else with questions like I had.

Last edited by udienow; 08-12-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get a expantion plug for the intake mainifold. If your putting in off road headers you wont have to block off any thing else. You can get in to the driver wheel well and remove the air pump and all of it hoses. Also check out arp header studs I love the way mine look. use anti seize when reinstalling your header bolts or studs. TSP's is a nice y pipe as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
I will soon have headers installed with ORY and just wanted to make sure I get everything I need: (I read the stickies and searched hense how I came up with this so far)

Plugs/wires
Poly motor mounts
bosch 13111 o2's
Header gaskets
Stage 8 bolts
Band clamps

Where can I find each for the best price? Also part numbers / links would b great!
I know sponsors sell ngk tr-55's/MSD wires for like ~65 shipped here. But what about the other stuff?

I am still unsure which ORY I want to go with. I have been leaning towards the TSP one. Any suggestions?

Also I will be removing my EGR and AIR (my car is a 00 with stock ls1 intake mani.). What do I need to remove them properly? Block off plates? Where can those b located for the best price?

Thanks in advance!
The TR-55/MSD combo is pretty much the best deal around.
My buddy has a custom Y with a magnaflow merge, it looks awesome.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plugs/wires
Poly motor mounts
bosch 13111 o2's
Header gaskets
Stage 8 bolts
Band clamps

Thanks in advance!

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to throw in a couple more questions. When you buy the solid mounts for around $150, do you normally have to get the bushings for them separately?

Which headers are you getting? My Pacesetters came with gaskets.

TSP has TR 55's and TR6's. Which one is better?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRBOTYZ
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to throw in a couple more questions. When you buy the solid mounts for around $150, do you normally have to get the bushings for them separately?

TSP has TR 55's and TR6's. Which one is better?
The pacesetter headers I bought were used... nothing was included with them and I knew that.

TR 55 plugs are your normal use plugs, from what I read the TR6's are better for boosted cars. Unless your boosted, id go with the TR 55's
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Teching In

The pacesetter headers I bought were used... nothing was included with them and I knew that.

TR 55 plugs are your normal use plugs, from what I read the TR6's are better for boosted cars. Unless your boosted, id go with the TR 55's
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be needing the TR6's.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

you forgot the 30 case............... you can pick one up for about 16 bucks at your local grocer.... you will also need a cooler and some ice..... about 20 dollars should do you...... everything should be good after that.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by o1ls1ssmaro
you forgot the 30 case............... you can pick one up for about 16 bucks at your local grocer.... you will also need a cooler and some ice..... about 20 dollars should do you...... everything should be good after that.
haha good point.

Anyone know a place that sells the prothane motor mounts for a good price? I want the red ones. I live near speed inc, would that be my best bet?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't forget about the O2 extensions. some pb blaster helps a lot, along with a swivel socket and a pry bar to help get the motor mounts lined up again.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dutinsss
don't forget about the O2 extensions. some pb blaster helps a lot, along with a swivel socket and a pry bar to help get the motor mounts lined up again.
i was under the impression that I wont need o2 extensions with the bosch 13111 o2 sensors? Thats the only reason I was gonne get those o2's.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was under the impression that I wont need o2 extensions with the bosch 13111 o2 sensors? Thats the only reason I was gonne get those o2's.
i don't know why you wouldn't, but i stuck with the stock one's so i'm not going to say for sure. anybody else know?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

the ones he has are the vette ones and are longer therefore you dont need 02 extensions
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok, didn't know that.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

sound like you got it covered, im doing this as well this week with some used qtp's and tsp ory! im not doing mounts as two buddies have done it without much issue with the tsp ory and if i do ill just add a hangar on the y...im also using stock wires as there is probably no diffence just my .02

ive got:
tr-55s(speedinc.com)
gm metal gaskets and bolts
the corvette o2's also known as bosch 13111(priced oreilly and autozone both 70 each)
egr intake plug(speedinc.com)
flowtech cutout(speedinc.com)

i have a 2000 as well and as long as you have race headers all you will need is the intake plug i listed above. (i think you can just get a freeze plug at autozone or something but i was already ordering from speedinc so i just picked it up there)

Originally Posted by TRBOTYZ
depending on what kind i would not use those, i would get the gm metal gaskets...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Looks like you got a good handle on things. One little bit of advice though. I'd recommend the Pacesetter Y if you plan on lowering the car. If not, the TSP will be fine. I've had both on my lowered car btw.

Oh, seriously, if you don't have poly engine mounts, do them while you have the manifolds off. It's easy as hell with them off and doesn't take much time or effort or money. You WILL be happy you did them. That is if you don't have them already. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrob56
sound like you got it covered, im doing this as well this week with some used qtp's and tsp ory! im not doing mounts as two buddies have done it without much issue with the tsp ory and if i do ill just add a hangar on the y...im also using stock wires as there is probably no diffence just my .02

ive got:
tr-55s(speedinc.com)
gm metal gaskets and bolts
the corvette o2's also known as bosch 13111(priced oreilly and autozone both 70 each)
egr intake plug(speedinc.com)
flowtech cutout(speedinc.com)

i have a 2000 as well and as long as you have race headers all you will need is the intake plug i listed above. (i think you can just get a freeze plug at autozone or something but i was already ordering from speedinc so i just picked it up there)

depending on what kind i would not use those, i would get the gm metal gaskets...
Ahh yes the EGR intake plug... that is what I am forgetting. I will probably just drive over to speed inc and pick one up if I can.
The rest is on its way from ws6store and TSP.

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Looks like you got a good handle on things. One little bit of advice though. I'd recommend the Pacesetter Y if you plan on lowering the car. If not, the TSP will be fine. I've had both on my lowered car btw.

Oh, seriously, if you don't have poly engine mounts, do them while you have the manifolds off. It's easy as hell with them off and doesn't take much time or effort or money. You WILL be happy you did them. That is if you don't have them already. Good luck.
Yeah even if I lower it will not be for a while, so I just went with the TSP.
I ordered the poly mounts from ws6store... they are coming in soon.

I will update the first post so if anyone searching for this like I was, will have everything in 1 post.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I hope this can help someone else in the future.