Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

slp ss grille??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp ss grille??

I know there's other posts about this, but do i really have to take the front bumper off the car to put this on? is there any way to do it without taking the bumper off? i want it to fit right just don't want the hassle of taking the bumper off.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its not that hard to remove the front bumper. Its been done with the bumper on. I removed mine when I installed it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what all do you have to do to remove it?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Much easier to just rip the old grille off and do it that way. Go to the hardware store and buy a right-angled drill if you are worried about not being able to drill the holes easily with the bumper still on the car. It will probably be just as hard with the bumper off.

I ripped mine off the other night, was sick of looking at that plastic. I was a little scared at first, but everyone here was right. Just start at the outside and keep pulling and eventually it pops right off.

Still trying to decide between the SLP grill and the Stull black billet grill with 69 SS emblem, but I am leaning towards the SLP.

IMO, the only reason to take the whole bumper off is if you intend on putting the stock grill back on at some time. Not sure why anyone would want to do that.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thanks man. what size drill bit should i use to drill the holes in the bumper.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I haven't done it myself yet, so make sure you check the instructions first, but what I have read is that you should use a 1/4 inch drill bit to drill the holes. Then you just pop in the fasteners and you are good to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default slp ss grill

Originally Posted by jeffbab
I haven't done it myself yet, so make sure you check the instructions first, but what I have read is that you should use a 1/4 inch drill bit to drill the holes. Then you just pop in the fasteners and you are good to go.
I just did mine last week, & NO I do not recommend you remove the bumper cover. Thats a lot more work than is needed. Just pull on the old cover & the metal nuts that fasten it on top will slip right off. Doing this didnt even ruin the stock grill so in case I wanted to sell it on craigslist or something. The instructions that come with the new grill says you can remove it either way. I used a 1/4 inch drill for the holes, but I redrilled the next size up because the clips were a biotch to install with car wash soap applied to them. I think it was a 17/64 bit.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I really never understood the problem with this. I had zero problems mounting and drilling my slp grille with the front clip installed
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian2006
I really never understood the problem with this. I had zero problems mounting and drilling my slp grille with the front clip installed
same here its a piece of cake