Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairly significant exhaust dilema...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fairly significant exhaust dilema...

i've done a lot of searching and researching and am not really finding any ideas....

i'm building a big-cube LSX motor for the camaro. i have 1 7/8" Kooks headers. T56 car. i have a TUNNEL MOUNT UMI Torque arm <--problem.

i'm looking for an exhaust setup similar, if not identical to, Patrick G's exhaust on his old TA (in the "recipe for 500rwhp" thread). i want a high flowing exhaust and was thinking a y-pipe design with a good merge, like a Burns, with 3" inlets and a 4" outlet with a cutout then on to a catback.

i can't seem to find anything that will clear the TA mount while maintaining semi-equal length tubes and decent ground clearance. i'm starting to think it will HAVE to be a custom everything and i'd use a Flowmaster Y-merge. i'm not against custom exhaust, in fact it's all i've had, but i want to optimize my setup and the local shop (although pretty slick) can't really match the quality of the parts made/sold by our vendors on here.

then i think, why not stick with true duals? 3" all the way with a H-pipe and single chambers or bullets and turndowns. anything wrong with that? i mean, how much power am i gaining and/or losing with each setup REALISTICALLY?1-2hp doesn't concern me, but 5-7 does. and sound is pretty critical too. i know the shear cubic inches and cam will take care of most my sound requirements, but the exhaust will determine the final tone obviously. i've gone all up and down ls1sounds.com. there was a 421cid car with TSP's Rumbler-X pipe with bullets. i was pretty sold on that but it won't clear my TA.

thoughts, anyone?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This a 4" system that I made to work with the UMI tunnel mount torque arm.

Im getting ready to build another setup like this except it will have a cutout behind the y going into a 4" - 3" reducer which will hook up to his Magnaflow catback.

I was going to build an extra system of some sort while I had his car over here. I may end up having something for sale soon.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

that's pretty slick, got any sound clips of that setup? that's close to what i may end up doing, except i'll stick a cutout after the Y and then on to a catback...maybe...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The sound is the same as duals with bullets dumped. I had duals with bullets dumped before this and if you blindfolded me I couldnt tell one from the other.

No soundclips, sorry. Performance is second to none.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can fit a 3" dual system over the axle with better ground clearance than a catback, all while using a tunnel mounted torque arm:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=paf+dual

X-pipe merge is located at torque arm crossmember. Worth every penny to me. Sounds better than any catback car I've ever heard, and made a SOTP power improvement over a well designed y-pipe and cutout.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You can fit a 3" dual system over the axle with better ground clearance than a catback, all while using a tunnel mounted torque arm:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=paf+dual

X-pipe merge is located at torque arm crossmember. Worth every penny to me. Sounds better than any catback car I've ever heard, and made a SOTP power improvement over a well designed y-pipe and cutout.
that's a pretty slick setup, but i'm not paying $900-$1800 for exhaust....
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
that's a pretty slick setup, but i'm not paying $900-$1800 for exhaust....
You probably will... what do you think your custom y-pipe and catback is going to cost?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I used a flowmaster merge with a Kooks y-pipe and went all the way out the back with a 4 inch mufflex system. The y-pipe is custom, but wasn't too bad to fab. It clears my UMI mount just fine. It's a killer flowing system, do it.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You probably will... what do you think your custom y-pipe and catback is going to cost?
i "know a guy" at a local muffler shop that hooks me up pretty good and my buddy's dad owns a chain of muffler/exhaust distribution centers, so i'm pretty well taken care of.

i'm 99.9999% for sure going to get that flowmaster merge with a 4" cutout after it. not sure what to run after that, but i learned what i wanted to learn.