LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What caused this?

Rocker is a little chewed up looking, but didn't notice really anything wrong with the retainer or valve tip. Not all of the rockers were marked up like this, but I'd say about half of them. This is on a 5k motor that had the hotcam setup installed.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't see the pic.. is that on my old Engine?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That problem right there is because you are not using guide plates. Aluminum heads require ARP extra long rocker studs and guide plates, or that is what happens. You are actually lucky, it could have been MUCH worse.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't using SA rockers alleviate that just as guide plates would?

Merv, Swing into my trans thread and give me your opinion if you would please.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

SA rockers kind of suck. I would never use them on any of my engines. Just not enough stability at higher R's.... I wouldnt BS ya.

Good write up on SA RRockers VS Standard RRockers w/ Guides
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
That problem right there is because you are not using guide plates. Aluminum heads require ARP extra long rocker studs and guide plates, or that is what happens. You are actually lucky, it could have been MUCH worse.
Why do you need extra long rocker studs? Also why do you need guide plates if its a self aligning rocker? Alot of people use S/A rockers. Yea they can break...but isnt that every part on a car? If aluminum heads require this or that, why does GM use a stamped steel S/A rocker and a standard length stud? Every post I see you make is a bunch of crap....
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

What about on a stock motor that would only spin 6100? I don't have any plans to do any motor upgrades, but if they'd handle fine for a stock motor then it might be something I'd look into down the line. Main reason is budget. SA-RRs cost substantially less vs NA-RR since you'll need, at the very least, guide plates.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
Why do you need extra long rocker studs? Also why do you need guide plates if its a self aligning rocker? Alot of people use S/A rockers. Yea they can break...but isnt that every part on a car? If aluminum heads require this or that, why does GM use a stamped steel S/A rocker and a standard length stud? Every post I see you make is a bunch of crap....
Well, one of us mis-read his post...

I was under the impression he was talking about non-aligning (standard) rockers needing guide plates (which we all know), and them being more reliable vs SA rockers. As for using longer studs, he may just like the peace of mind of knowing they are threaded on more than is needed to save backing out and either falling off or breaking (just an assumption on my part).
Old 08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well, one of us mis-read his post...

I was under the impression he was talking about non-aligning (standard) rockers needing guide plates (which we all know), and them being more reliable vs SA rockers. As for using longer studs, he may just like the peace of mind of knowing they are threaded on more than is needed to save backing out and either falling off or breaking (just an assumption on my part).
Possible i guess....lol
Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Look at this guy... LOL He doesnt even know what he is talking about yet he is going to say I am full of crap... LOL

Hey guy I have a few hundred sucessfull roller rocker arm installations under my belt. I have installed just about every kind and really the SA rockers kinda suck.

No you cant use guide plates with SA rockers, and the SA rockers cost more to buy than a standard set with all the proper hardware.

The OP's problem could have also been from improperly adjusted rockers also, but I dont like the design of the SA rocker. Too much wear on the stem of the valve and too little stability of the valve train.

You can tell this guy Schweet97Z overpaid for a set of SA rocker arms! LOL Chill out dude, read the information in the link. You dont have to be a ***** to get some info.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like the OD of the valve keepers is larger than the "slot" of the SA rocker...
Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
Look at this guy... LOL He doesnt even know what he is talking about yet he is going to say I am full of crap... LOL

Hey guy I have a few hundred sucessfull roller rocker arm installations under my belt. I have installed just about every kind and really the SA rockers kinda suck.

No you cant use guide plates with SA rockers, and the SA rockers cost more to buy than a standard set with all the proper hardware.

The OP's problem could have also been from improperly adjusted rockers also, but I dont like the design of the SA rocker. Too much wear on the stem of the valve and too little stability of the valve train.

You can tell this guy Schweet97Z overpaid for a set of SA rocker arms! LOL Chill out dude, read the information in the link. You dont have to be a ***** to get some info.
Well im not going to get into an internet battle with you. For the record im running a NSA Rocker and Guide Plate on my car. However ive already made my judgement of your knowledge, and ill let the rest do the same. BTW everything in my statement before this is true, if your calling bluff, then do alittle research yourself and go back to just installing rocker arms......
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

To my knowledge they are S/A Rockers.. I built the Engine with the GM Hot Cam Kit.

I can't see the Pic, otherwise I would know what exactly you guys are looking at..
Old 08-06-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Well im not going to get into an internet battle with you. For the record im running a NSA Rocker and Guide Plate on my car. However ive already made my judgement of your knowledge, and ill let the rest do the same. BTW everything in my statement before this is true, if your calling bluff, then do alittle research yourself and go back to just installing rocker arms......
Yeah okay.

Thats a whole lot of question marks up there. Perhaps you should heed your own advise and do some more research. Dont pick a fight and say some stupid $hit like "Well im not going to get into an internet battle with you." because you already did.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

I'm waiting for the Caps Lock..
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From looking at that picture, im suspecting pushrod length or something in the valve train geometry.

Have you checked pattern on the valve tip? should be centered
Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how the hell did i end up here
clicked on something else i guess
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm not sure bout the whole SA rockers suck deal, I pulled the Promags out of my old motor that are going on this motor, and I pounded the **** outta them for 25k, no issues.

Merv are these stock pushrods in this motor? I'm taking the motor Friday to someone that has the tools to swap the valvesprings for the Crane's I'm going to have put on, and have the promags installed on this motor. The motor that I'm taking out of the car though will make its way to the truck.

From the looks of that rocker, could I use it on my other motor? I have comp springs on the other motor, forgot which ones, but the diameter of the spring looks like its slightly smaller. Roller tip part seems to still roll fine.

The valve tip just looks flat across?

I'd heard about how SA aren't good for high revs, but its a hotcam motor, its not spinning past 6500rpm, nothing very high by any means. Perhaps Merv can share how high he was spinning it, but I doubt it was very high.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Yes they are stock Push Rods. The Heads have been milled about .006, I used the Felpro #1074 Head Gaskets. I spun it to 6100, that is where the Shift Point was set.
I wish I could see the pics..

Originally Posted by NemeSS
how the hell did i end up here
clicked on something else i guess
Most people click "back" instead of making a post..that is a good one though..
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

i had one looked like that. might have not been adjusted right or the valve may not have been in the slot when you set it.

Quick Reply: What caused this?