Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Smoke like a Deamon

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Smoke like a Demon

Here is some info on the setup. I have a 00 ls1 engine with the ls6 intake,224/224 cam, GTP Stage 2 heads, and I was driving for about a hour cruising in 6th gear for about a hour. Get to the gas station pump my gas and start it up and totally embarass myself because there was ALOT of blue smoke. It also smokes blue on accleration. The previous owner had a catch can(air filter dryer on it inline with the pvc valve. Im gonna try to reinstall that and see if it helps. Previous owner cant remember it smoking that much. Its a 59k mile engine. On the dryer catch can has a arrow on it that I think should go to the throttle body meaning its pulling from the pcv valve to the throlttle body stopping the oil before it enters the intake.

Last edited by blazin; 08-07-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to sucking a good amount of oil for that amount of blue smoke. I dont think the catch can is the issue but maybe it is. If the crankcase has no way to vent and only through the line going from the valve cover to the tb then ok I guess it would be sucking oil like that. Did it just happen all of a sudden? Is the car new to you? Valve seal maybe? Did the guy run a bunch of n2o through it? 59k and the rings going on an OEM LS1 doesnt seem likely at all, blown headgasket? Was it whitish blue smoke ?

The rocker bolts need to be sealed on the intake side usually when using ported heads, did something happen there?

There are only a few ways for oil to get into the combustions chamber. From below which would be rings, from the intake which would be the PCV stuff. The rocker bolts on ported heads, valve seals when they go usually just smoke on startup. All guesses but we dont have a lot to work with here.

Figure out the PCV system. The crank case develops pressure and needs to vent it properly. Smell the smoke. What does it smell like? Sweet smell of antifreeze? Do some more examining and get back to us. Does the car have a pcv system at all or just running all closed up with he crankcase pressure having no place to go?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey this is a engine that went into my 96 as a conversion. Engines new to me but the guy a bought it from is a buddy of mine and he said that he never noticed any sorts of smoke like im talking about. The only different configuration that has been done is the catch can removed. The pcv valve going from the passenger side cover to the intake is there, and the drivers valve cover went goes to the tb. Im going to replace the pcv valve and hook the catch can back up and find out. I have only got a couple hundred miles on the swap so far so oil usage and coolent usage are not noticable yet. When it started up and smoked out the gas station parking lot it was most def 100% oil smelling smoke, no sweet smell at all. Also I didnt touch anything on the engine before I threw it in. I just put it in and went with it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Well maybe its the catch can then. If he didn't have issue and the only thing you changed was that, it seems likely it could be the problem. You didn't hurt the engine by cruising in 6th for an hour unless you over heated but I'm sure you would mention that.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya Im gonna build a can mount tonight replace pcv valve and go take it for a spin tonight so I can test it out.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blazin
Hey this is a engine that went into my 96 as a conversion. Engines new to me but the guy a bought it from is a buddy of mine and he said that he never noticed any sorts of smoke like im talking about. The only different configuration that has been done is the catch can removed. The pcv valve going from the passenger side cover to the intake is there, and the drivers valve cover went goes to the tb. Im going to replace the pcv valve and hook the catch can back up and find out. I have only got a couple hundred miles on the swap so far so oil usage and coolent usage are not noticable yet. When it started up and smoked out the gas station parking lot it was most def 100% oil smelling smoke, no sweet smell at all. Also I didnt touch anything on the engine before I threw it in. I just put it in and went with it.

The big questions which was not answered are...

Did this smoke before you got to the gas station, or did it just happen suddenly after you filled up? How many miles have you put on the motor since it was in your car?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blazin
I have only got a couple hundred miles on the swap so far so oil usage and coolent usage are not noticable yet...
I dont know if it was smoking before because I was on the hwy doing 60 for a hour got into town didnt notice any extreme smoke, it came at the gas station and my friend said after i dropped him off and got on it hard it was smoking under w0t as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Time for a leakdown test.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well some more insight. I checked and there wasnt a pcv valve on the passenger cover. They have a hard line running to the catch can then into the side of the intake. I guess Ill try that for awhile. It has a ls6 intake on it as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think install a pcv valve in line with the moisture trap or just run it the way they had it with no pcv

drivers cover->hard line->moisture trap->intake manifold
passenger cover->throttle body

Might try
drivers cover->hard line->pcv->moisture trap-> intake.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

drivers cover should be linked to passenger cover, passenger cover should have the pcv valve between it and the intake. The line from the valve cover to the Tb is my guess whats sucking the oil.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was meaning the front of the passenger cover going to the throttle body. Im gonna check everything out and add a pcv valve before the moisture trap and see how that goes.