Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure after cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No oil pressure after cam install?

I finally finished installing my TR cam package and go to turn the car on today. It wouldn't hold an idle at first, I had to give it a little gas, I have an SES light and a check gauges light. I'm not worried about the SES light, but the check gauges light is on because my car has no oil pressure. At first I thought it was a faulty pump I had bought, so I swapped it out with the stocker. I turn her on, and the same thing happens. I just let her run for maybe about 9-15 seconds to see if the pressure will go up. It just stays at zero. Someone help, I'm really confused about this. I didn't swap out my intake, so the oil pressure sender is out of the question. Along with the TR cam package, I also installed a rollmaster double chain, new stock pump, and NGK's. Anyone want to take a stab at it?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: No oil pressure after cam install?

DID you replace the O ring on the pick up tube going from the pan into the oil pump? that is probly your problem, either its not there or its pinched and split.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Did you put the spacer on the drivers side on correctly and use some sealant on it. It seals between the pump and block where the oil is pushed into the block and to the valvetrain. It is important that this spacer is on correctly or else you will be oiling your timing chain well, thats it.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oil pump pick up tube. It falls out all the time, and since you cant see it it is easy to forget about. Use the new oil pupe and make sure you assemble the pickup tube and o-ring properly. At least you didnt spin a bearing due to that damn thing...

Chalk up yet another oil problem to that little pesky ring.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

It's not the O-ring, I've already triple checked that to make sure it wasn't torn up and put on correctly. I don't know what you mean by the spacer on the driver's side Heritage, since I shimmed my oil pump to clear my rollmaster chain, do I have to buy another shim for where the spacer goes? I had no idea about this.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:56 AM
FormerVendor

Well if you dont hear any metal on metal griding could the oil sending unit have gone bad
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Sebastian,

well, thats pretty scarry. um, if you changed the oil, and put the spacers back on the block correctly, re-installed the pickup tube correctly w/ a new o-ring, and tightened it all down, you should have oil pressure. assuming everything else is correct. double check everything and then test the OPSU for proper operation. thats what it sounds like to me, good luck with it!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spacer included with the rollmaster chain can be installed upside down, resulting in the oil coming out from behind the pump instead of throught it. The passenger side doesnt matter, but the drivers side spacer has the hole in it for the oil to pass through. You may want to check it out.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you drain your oil? Really simple question, did you fill it back up?!?!
-Steve
Old 08-29-2003, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

The spacer included with the rollmaster chain can be installed upside down, resulting in the oil coming out from behind the pump instead of throught it. The passenger side doesnt matter, but the drivers side spacer has the hole in it for the oil to pass through. You may want to check it out.
Thats what I was getting at.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Thank you guys, it ended up being the freaking spacers. I completely forgot about them in the rollmaster chain box. I started her up after putting in the spacers, and it only took about 1-2 seconds for the oil pressure to go up. She idles pretty well, and has a noticable lope through the magnaflow. I can't wait to hear how she sounds through the cut out! Thanks again guys!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Krab, I don't understand what happened here. If you installed the oil pump without the spacers (which you said were left in the box) then the pump would have hit the double row chain. If you tightened the pump mounting bolts then you would still have oil pressure because the output port of the pump would be sealed against the block. Leaving out the shims doesn't cause you to have (0) oil pressure, but it can surely cause damage to the chain and/or pump if they touch. Please help us on this issue.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Krab, I don't understand what happened here. If you installed the oil pump without the spacers (which you said were left in the box) then the pump would have hit the double row chain. If you tightened the pump mounting bolts then you would still have oil pressure because the output port of the pump would be sealed against the block. Leaving out the shims doesn't cause you to have (0) oil pressure, but it can surely cause damage to the chain and/or pump if they touch. Please help us on this issue.
Ahh, sorry I didn't completely explain the situation. What I had done, was actually put the four small washers that came with the rollmaster chain between the block and the oil pump. I also added an extra washer for each bolt, which made each bolt have two washers between the oil pump and the block. I did this because the chain was too close to the pump with only one washer. By doing this, the hole in the oil pump that is supposed to seal to the block had about 2mm of space between each other, which equaled to zero oil pressure. After putting in the spacers, the oil pump hole sealed to the block, and viola, oil pressure! I was so freaking worried I had really fugged something up during the install. Thanks again guys for all your help!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Now I understand and it makes perfect sense! Thanks.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after cam install?