Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from Flowmaster 80 series to Hooker Aerochamber

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from Flowmaster 80 series to Hooker Aerochamber

bought my 02 SOM WS6 recently with a flowmaster 80 series on it and it actually sounds really good but from my own personal experience, and others, it doesnt flow very well... i just ordered a hooker aerochamber and basically just wondering if any of you all have had experience with both and if i should expect to see any gains at all with the swap... thanks!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

you will see some gains, did you order the catback or just the muffler?? The hooker Aerochamber is the best non SS exhaust for our cars !!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy has a hooker aerochamber setup on his long tube/ory car. it was very quiet, but sounded pretty good.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder where people keep getting this flowmaster does not flow that well thing from. I've only seen one guy here actually put up the dyno graph and it was flowmaster vs the cut-out and he lost like 6-7 hp from a cut-out to flowmaster. I think its the size of the pipes that makes the difference all the 3in pipes flow the same if you get the bigger one say like the 3 1/2 loud mouth or something it will flow better, its crazy how many people jump into the hype just follow what the next man says.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car with a Flowmaster catback on it, the first real money I spent on the car was to buy a Hooker Aerochamber catback. To me it sounds a lot better and I noticed the car feeling a bit less choked up top.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the flowmaster on mines, its feels real good sounds good too with the longtubes and off road y I am getting cammed up right now I know its going to sound nasty. I guess things respond different on different cars. When I get it on the dyno when its done I'm a post the graphs
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyRyda99LS1
I wonder where people keep getting this flowmaster does not flow that well thing from. I've only seen one guy here actually put up the dyno graph and it was flowmaster vs the cut-out and he lost like 6-7 hp from a cut-out to flowmaster. I think its the size of the pipes that makes the difference all the 3in pipes flow the same if you get the bigger one say like the 3 1/2 loud mouth or something it will flow better, its crazy how many people jump into the hype just follow what the next man says.
I've read numerous instances where people have gained power by switching out their flowmaster. The specific muffler they use for our cars just plain doesn't cut it.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

flowmaster on mine when i bought it too. i do feel it pull better up top now that i have a cut out on it. but the flowmaster still flows better than stock. just not as well as others. and i like the sound of the flowmaster. a catback is more about sound preferance to me, if you want performance just put a cut out on it.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

I bought the flowmaster to replace the stock set up and it seemed to drive slower, but loud. Swapped it for a 3" magnaflow system and was night and day. For our cars, say no to flowmaster, one things for sure, you won't see someone here swap they're aftermarket cb for a flowmaster. I have not read one thread about someone upgrading to the flowmaster cb and being happy with it. They're loud and thats it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster made my Z28 sound like a pickup truck coming down the road. No regrets here. I love my Hooker Catback except for the exaust tips. So I bought some 304 SS rectangular tips from Fast Toys. Its nice and quiet at lower speeds and doesn't rattle the filling out of your teeth at WOT.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mean I understand what everbody is saying all I'm saying is where is the proof I only seen one person post up a dyno graph of runs done on the same day back to back cut-out open and cut-out closed with the flowmaster, and like I said he only lost like 7 hp on a car that was putting out like a little over 400. So where are the graphs with the back to back runs with the hookers and magnaflows against the flowmasters thats all I'm saying seems like alot of hear say and people just over doing bad rumors
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

i have flowmaster 80 series on my car. as long as it flows better than stock, is enough for me. flows sound good IMO. not all mufflers flow the same or put out the same power. its just ur opinion and choice on how u want your car to sound

plan on installing LTs and ORY to my 80 series!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I'm happy with my Hooker c/b, though the fitment was TERRIBLE. Don't know if I got an off one or something, but I had to hack it up to make it fit.

However, it does have a nice low rumble. It's only a little louder than stock at idle (with a meaner tone), but man that thing wakes up at WOT.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

but i do plan on going LOUD on my next SS!!! SLP LT's and ORY into a true dual loudmouth 1 setup lol.

flowmaster vs. hooker same as the argument between LM1 vs. LM2

its all about personal opinion
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChevyRyda99LS1
I mean I understand what everbody is saying all I'm saying is where is the proof I only seen one person post up a dyno graph of runs done on the same day back to back cut-out open and cut-out closed with the flowmaster, and like I said he only lost like 7 hp on a car that was putting out like a little over 400. So where are the graphs with the back to back runs with the hookers and magnaflows against the flowmasters thats all I'm saying seems like alot of hear say and people just over doing bad rumors

That was probably me you were referencing. My cutout only gained 8rwhp over my Flowmaster, which isnt a whole lot, and that is all top end HP. The blue is w/ the cutout open, the red is thru the Flowmaster, and the green run is a baseline dyno before dyno tuning.
Attached Thumbnails from Flowmaster 80 series to Hooker Aerochamber-dyno.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In time you're going to love the rattle that plagues some Hooker owners.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah you were the one, like I said until I can see someone get a car and a dyno and just switch to all the different exhaust and post the numbers I dont believe the crap all those systems flow just about the same as long as they are the same size pipeing. Maybe some flow a little better and probably very little but they are all the basically the same its just personal preferance at the end of the day
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
you will see some gains, did you order the catback or just the muffler?? The hooker Aerochamber is the best non SS exhaust for our cars !!
just the muffler, i dont love the tips that come with the catback... i'm going to have the rest of the system custom made, prob go 2.5" and keep the stock manifolds... for awhile at least

btw thanks for all the replys...... and dont get me wrong i'm not just jumpin on the bandwagon and saying that the 80 series FM flows like **** and is worthless... it's def better than stock, it's just that i had a buddy awhile back switch from the 80 series to something else on an LT1 and it made a very noticeable difference.... other than they the flowmasters actually sound pretty damn good, imo...

but yea, glad i went with the Hooker now... according to most ppl on here it seems to be a damn good muffler, esp for the low price
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM

You will noctice a little bit of a difference. You will like the hooker sound alot better, it gets better as it is broken in. I agree with you on the hooker tips they are definally not the best looking tips. It is a good deal for a non stainless steal system though. Good luck hope your happy.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Teching In

I have a hooker aerochamber on the thirdgen. Different motr but I love it its sounds awesome at WOT and had a great rumble down low.

Quick Reply: from Flowmaster 80 series to Hooker Aerochamber