Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I need a T56, mine crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a T56, mine crapped out

Well I was on my way to Fun Ford , and my car decided to punish me for it. It got stuck in 4th after going full throttle, literally had to punch the shifter out of gear. Then it started popping out of 3rd, and now it just doesnt shift at all, I managed to finangle it into 2nd gear and drove about 10 miles to my work so I could drop it off.

So I am in need of a tranny, mn12 from a GTO, regular T56, whatever. Im probably gonna get one from six speeds inc, but if someone has a stocker layin around that would be alright. Whatever you got let me know.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know someone local builds them,right?Yeah,that idiot that works around here...

You need a 3rd/4th slider and blockers at minimum.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys build them down there at Dez too?

I have a 4 speed TA LOL. No 5th/6th... I'll send you a PM
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Well if you tossed a TH350/400 in there, you got a pretty good idea on how it will rev when you drive and if you put it in there your at least a 1/2 second faster
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Always have.Building one today. Do around 15-20 a year for customers.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM
CARTEK Racing

I would take a look on Craigslist and see if you can find an old stocker that can get you by while you wait for Amber and Joe to build you a killer T-56...

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Well if you tossed a TH350/400 in there, you got a pretty good idea on how it will rev when you drive and if you put it in there your at least a 1/2 second faster
.50 seconds? So you are telling me I would be running 9.82 "AT LEAST" with a TH-350?

HAHAHA I hope you that statement was a joke...

a person has to be a really shitty 6spd driver to be loosing half a second to an auto...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I would take a look on Craigslist and see if you can find an old stocker that can get you by while you wait for Amber and Joe to build you a killer T-56...

.50 seconds? So you are telling me I would be running 9.82 "AT LEAST" with a TH-350?

HAHAHA I hope you that statement was a joke...

a person has to be a really shitty 6spd driver to be loosing half a second to an auto...
Your car is above the average.

Not all drivers are created equal.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
CARTEK Racing

Your car is above the average.

Not all drivers are created equal.
A car does not shift itself...

Either way, I do not consider what I am able to do outside the realm of anyone. All it takes is practice, and with enough practice anyone can shift well.

I just don't like when people promote automatics as the only way a stick car can be fast. A stick car can be as fast with practice as an auto. Thats all. Nothing against you...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

A car does not shift itself...

Either way, I do not consider what I am able to do outside the realm of anyone. All it takes is practice, and with enough practice anyone can shift well.

I just don't like when people promote automatics as the only way a stick car can be fast. A stick car can be as fast with practice as an auto. Thats all. Nothing against you...
Ive owned auto matic F bodies and beleive me the only time I have wanted a auto again is at the track. For consistancy and quick and accurate shifts there honestly nothing better.

I mean yea, you get a Evan Smith out there who is a hot shoe, he is an exception or the guy like Ranger who has raced his car soooo much he just tuned into that set up, they can be as consistant.

Take an ave driver, a 12 sec car, change the trans from persay a 4L60e and a t-56, what often happens is the best time slip goes to the M6 driver. But the more consistant if not faster time goes to the auto guy.

In general Fbodies are plauged with shifting issues due to hydraulics. Until Tick perf comes out with their new Master Cyl, getting everyone a level playing feild is hard.

I cannot power shift my car and the shifts are NOT smooth. I slap auto in my car I know its automatically faster.

But ive posted enough on this post, didnt mean to hijack, but I certainly see your point, def cars cannot shift themselves. This isnt Maximum overdrive lol!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You know someone local builds them,right?Yeah,that idiot that works around here...

You need a 3rd/4th slider and blockers at minimum.
I didnt know you guys built them either. How much labor would I save by taking the trans out and putting it in myself? If not much I just might get it towed down there. I have AAA gold, and I dont think youre that far away.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car would run in the 12.5 range or less if I didn't have the suspension setup I do. It traps 113MPH...

Drag Racing isn't my interest. But a T56 with all 6 gears is LOL.

I will definately have you guys go through my trans than. I've got an aluminum flywheel to put on anyways.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by NateLS1
I didnt know you guys built them either. How much labor would I save by taking the trans out and putting it in myself? If not much I just might get it towed down there. I have AAA gold, and I dont think youre that far away.
It is hourly which goes around how easy/hard it is to get out.I wouldn't expect it to be over 250-350 to pull the tranny out/in.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
CARTEK Racing

Ive owned auto matic F bodies and beleive me the only time I have wanted a auto again is at the track. For consistancy and quick and accurate shifts there honestly nothing better.
I honestly believe that with practice and the right equipment anyone can be acurate and consistant.

I mean yea, you get a Evan Smith out there who is a hot shoe, he is an exception or the guy like Ranger who has raced his car soooo much he just tuned into that set up, they can be as consistant.
I remember running a faster number in an LS1Tech forum member's car than the mighty Evan Smith. Just shows... anyone can run a 6spd car well.

I don't understand the Ranger nut swinging... you put anyone in a Vette for 300 passes and one of them is bound to be a record setting pass... its simple numbers. If anyone takes 300 passes in the same car, witht he same setup they will set a record too.

Once agian, anyone can do it, there is nothing special about Ranger.

Take an ave driver, a 12 sec car, change the trans from persay a 4L60e and a t-56, what often happens is the best time slip goes to the M6 driver. But the more consistant if not faster time goes to the auto guy.
On avarage I would say you are right...

In general Fbodies are plauged with shifting issues due to hydraulics. Until Tick perf comes out with their new Master Cyl, getting everyone a level playing feild is hard.
I love Joey and Jonathan. I know the two guys from Tick personaly. Met them multiple times, had dinner with then, even drank in Joey's Basement...

But their Master is not the end all be all, im sorry Joe/Jonathan.

I have been running the CARTEK adjustable Master for 5+ years now... the same one... for 5+ years... and never had a problem shifting the car. They are not the first to solve the problem...

I cannot power shift my car and the shifts are NOT smooth. I slap auto in my car I know its automatically faster.
Of cource, you took the driver out of the equation...

Some can admit that they are not good with a stick and go to the Auto, some make excuses and go to auto. Some like Joe from Six Speeds Inc run 8's in a manual w/o excuses. Once again, the right equipment, and practice, and anyone can do it.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Check your PMs, OP.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

Some can admit that they are not good with a stick and go to the Auto, some make excuses and go to auto. Some like Joe from Six Speeds Inc run 8's in a manual w/o excuses. Once again, the right equipment, and practice, and anyone can do it.
Six Speed runs a face plated trans..... no real use for the clutch during the run.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
CARTEK Racing

Six Speed runs a face plated trans..... no real use for the clutch during the run.
On their 8 second passes, yes. No clutch used after the launch.

But on their 10.1 H/C car they used the clutch to shift. Either way, some have "solved" the problem before...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

On their 8 second passes, yes. No clutch used after the launch.

But on their 10.1 H/C car they used the clutch to shift. Either way, some have "solved" the problem before...
If I'm not using my left foot, it's a waste of my time and only suitable as a daily driver.