Western Members - Thinking about going back to school...

LS1stunna
08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Well I really wanted to goto school, and start doing Auto Body Repair at NVOC. I was sitting down, and thinking about what I want to do with my future. I dont think Auto Body Repair is something I really want to take up right now. So then again I was speaking to one of my close friends about the Criminal Justice course he is taking at ITT Tech in Sylmar. He told me its around $30k, and it almost a 3 year course. And the reason for me to take the C.J. class is so when I graduate, I can go into Law Enforcement.

So last night, I went to a friends house to chill, and knock back a few. So school becomes the topic of everyones conversation. Everyone starts talking about it, and I state what school Im going to, and what its about. And one of my other close friends starts telling me about how the Federal Jobs are getting major wage cut backs, and how its not really worth it go through with. Now Im starting to second guess if I really want to get into this. Because after school, and everything which is hopefully done by the time I turn 25, I want to move out of California to NYC.

Now Im deciding between Criminal Justice, or going back to NVOC or WVOC to take an EMT class, and then after that goto Fire Department Training, and so on. Almost everyone in my family is affiliated in the Medical jobs. So now if I decide to take the EMT class, I was planning on taking a few months off to go through the books, refresh my memory, and then register.

What do you guys think??? Would it be worth while to take the C.J. Course with Federal Careers are getting wage cuts? Please help me out, I would greatly appreciate any of your guys opinion on this.

Soul TKR
08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
didn't think you had to have a degree to go into law enforcement...?

LS1stunna
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
didn't think you had to have a degree to go into law enforcement...?

Not really, its just to give us preperation for that career. Heres a description on the C.J. course:

Objectives
This program teaches the fundamentals of the criminal justice system and criminal justice skills. The program offers a foundation in criminal law, legal procedures, criminal evidence and criminology. Areas of study include law enforcement, the courts and corrections. Students are taught about the legal system and law enforcement standards to help them develop technical skills used in todays criminal justice environment. The upper-level courses enhance the study of the criminal justice system and expand into areas such as criminalistics, victimology and forensics investigations. The curriculum is designed to offer a balance of theory and application used in the field by integrating interpersonal skills and administrative subject matter. Students will examine the criminal justice process and study interpersonal communication skills. The program offers an interdisciplinary study of the mechanisms of social control, criminology and criminal justice in American society. Program content includes communication, criminal law and procedures, cybercrime and homeland security issues as well as technology skills. The program can help graduates cultivate particular human relations skills appropriate to the industry and an understanding of the causes and prevention of crime.

Career Opportunities
The program can help graduates prepare for careers in community corrections, the private investigation and security fields and law enforcement*. Upon completion of the program, graduates will have developed knowledge and skills that can be used to pursue entry-level positions involving a broad spectrum of criminal justice careers in the private sector involving workplace security, private investigations, and insurance investigations as private detectives, safety officers and security patrol officers. The program also offers the academic preparation to pursue entry-level positions involving criminal justice, such as local, state and federal law enforcement jobs in policing*, crime commissions, parole and probation, corrections and court systems.

MaroonLS1
08-18-2008, 01:04 PM
From experience: If you want to go law enforcement apply first and go through the hiring process. For example the minimum requirements for a police department is HS diploma and over 21 years of age, no felonies, and no domestic misdemeanors. CJ can open some doors but it does not guarantee you getting the job. Once inside the department of your choise; thats when your degree would help. The initial process is the same when you apply even if you have a masters in law.

LS1stunna
08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
From experience: If you want to go law enforcement apply first and go through the hiring process. For example the minimum requirements for a police department is HS diploma and over 21 years of age, no felonies, and no domestic misdemeanors. CJ can open some doors but it does not guarantee you getting the job. Once inside the department of your choise; thats when your degree would help. The initial process is the same when you apply even if you have a masters in law.

Oh alrite, so its pretty much NOT NEEDED, which I knew already. Just thinking about taking the course in the meantime to get some skills and everything set out. Since Im 19, I would have to wait until Im 20 1/2 to take the LAPD written test.

ALLBOTTLE
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
If you want to go into law enforcerment go in to your local PD/Sheriffs office and ask to speak to someone about Joining, what they are looking for. call the PD of the City you may move to and ask them what they want in a deputy/officer.

You can also take those crimial Justice classes at a local JC and get a certificate in Criminal Science for alot less than 30k and then you are 1 step closer to a bachelors degree if you want to maove up the ranks to detective or what not.

FYI most federal Agency's require a Bachelors degree to get hired.

hlaalu
08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
im trying to get into law enforcement myself in nevada. its pretty simple. first step is register for a written and physical exam. if you pass both (they are VERY easy) you will then be interviewed. if you are what they are looking for they do an extensive backround check. you then then take a series of pyhsicals, psychological, and polygraph testing. then you are admitted into the police academy, usually an 18 week course and you do get college credits for it as well. if you pass that, then your in :) then what i plan to do is take classes on my days off and hopefully move up the ranks.

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
for what it's worth school is a bunch of garbage...yeah some of you may not agree with me but it's the truth. School is worthless. I have several reasons to say this. LS1Stunna just do what makes you happy.

hlaalu
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
for what it's worth school is a bunch of garbage...yeah some of you may not agree with me but it's the truth. School is worthless. I have several reasons to say this. LS1Stunna just do what makes you happy.

i agree. companies dont give a shit what your degree is in, they just want you to have one. thats some bullshit.

primer84z
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Ever thought about the military? Do your 4, get some experience in LE or EMT if you want (MP's, Corpsmen, Medic etc), then get out and go to school for free.

cruiSSin LS1
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM

wow, what an ignorant statement...:bang:

allblacksrt4
08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
if you want to take criminal justice courses. go to a junior college. dont let itt tech rip you for $30k. And going to itt wont help u at all in law enforcement.

djsanchez2
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
^^^ I agree. I got my AA in Criminal Law in 2yrs for WAY less, from teachers that were actually in the field, some currently working their Law jobs too. :nod:

It is not really necessary in the first place anyways, it is simply a means of advancement in the field.

zjt
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
cruissin, I agree that was an ignorant statement. An education is never a bad thing to have.

Yes, I am a college student, but before anyone rags on me, during the summer I work construction for a general contractor. I'll be the guy 20ft down in a rocky ditch in alaska laying 18ft sticks of ductile iron pipe, 10+hrs a day, 6 days a week.

Sorry for the :hijack:

Anyway, ls1stunna, just do what make you happy and as I said earlier, getting educated never hurts

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
wow, what an ignorant statement...:bang:

:eyes: really? why do you think going to school is good? so that you can get a career and make ok money? tell me your reasons why you think my comment was ignorant before you go out and make such a statement :eyes:

cruissin, I agree that was an ignorant statement. An education is never a bad thing to have.

Yes, I am a college student, but before anyone rags on me, during the summer I work construction for a general contractor. I'll be the guy 20ft down in a rocky ditch in alaska laying 18ft sticks of ductile iron pipe, 10+hrs a day, 6 days a week.

Sorry for the

Anyway, ls1stunna, just do what make you happy and as I said earlier, getting educated never hurts

that goes for you too...i agree with you that getting an education can't hurt, but the reason why people do it is what makes it worthless. If you wan't to go to school because you want to grow as a person that's all good but if you're looking to change your average life by going to school you're in for a reality check.

allblacksrt4
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
and in law enforcment. atleast in lapd. education gets you alittle more initially, but does not help you with advancement. Advancement comes with time on. Taking test pertaining to the postions, interviews. and then they rank you and put you on a waiting list for open postions.

primer84z
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Come on dude school isn't worthless, try opening up a doctors office with out going to school and let me know how that works out for you. Obviously you don't need school training for all jobs that pay well, but there are some fields that you cannot get into with out school training/education.

98BlkFormula
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh alrite, so its pretty much NOT NEEDED, which I knew already. Just thinking about taking the course in the meantime to get some skills and everything set out. Since Im 19, I would have to wait until Im 20 1/2 to take the LAPD written test.

i dont think you have to be 201/2 to take the written test. i just turned 20 2 months ago and took my physical ability test and written test for OPD. i passed my physical ability test but failed my written test by 2 points :bang:.I think you only have to be 201/2 to get into the academy

98BlkFormula
08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
here is some more info i got for the city of orange pd

Salary: 5,040 - 6,463 per month

Officers receive up to $450/month for college degree/units and P.O.S.T. Certificates.
Officers assigned as Detectives receive 7.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Motors receive up to 6.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Canine Handlers receive up to 6.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Field Training Officers receive $150.00 per month.
Officers assigned as Crime Scene Investigators receive $150.00 per month.
Officers working designated shifts receive 2% shift differential.
Officers not working in special assignment with over 6 years of service. receive 5% longevity pay.
If qualified, officers may receive $200 per month bilingual pay.
Retirement - PERS 3% at age 50.
Medical - Single $656 Family $965.

allblacksrt4
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Come on dude school isn't worthless, try opening up a doctors office with out going to school and let me know how that works out for you. Obviously you don't need school training for all jobs that pay well, but there are some fields that you cannot get into with out school training/education.

no one said school is worthless. just for that field depending on department it doesnt help you at all. your training comes from the academy. Also that itt tech is a scam of a place.

primer84z
08-18-2008, 06:05 PM

someone did say school is worthless. Also if you want to move up into say detective, shit like that, you do need a degree. Otherwise you'll stay on patrol, maybe be a sergeant. My brother is a cop in Dallas.

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
no one said school is worthless.

for what it's worth school is a bunch of garbage...yeah some of you may not agree with me but it's the truth. School is worthless.

it looks like that's exactly what he was saying, to me? sounds like someone doesnt do well in school. i dont mean u allblack..

98BlkFormula
08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
All trade schools are crap. They just want your money

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM

see...that is exactly the problem with you guys. You guys have this broken concept that your hard work will pay off. That you need to put blood and sweat into everything that you do and you'll make money and be well off, and save for retirement. I say fuck saving for retirement, and fuck hard work. I don't want to spend my youth busting my ass in school and work, get a BA in something and then make 55-65k a year. No, i don't want to have money to spend when i'm 65, i want to enjoy it NOW, wtf is all that money good for when i'm old as shit?

you talk about opening up a doctors office and see how it goes. First off, let me put it this way. If i'm, lets say 28 by the time i'm a doctor or whatever...do you really think i'm gonna have the money to open up and office? How about you people break off that silly concept that you go to school, get a career and live happily ever after...wake up, its not true! you won't graduate and magically be really well off financially before you're 30. You people need higher goals and aspirations, how about instead of becoming a doctor you hire one to run the office for you? Have him do all the work and all the studying while you do nothing and take in the profit. Have you ever thought about that? of course not! you're still trying to earn a living the traditional way! :eyes:

This is how big companies started. Someone was smart enough to get people to do all the work for them. When you go to college/university you pay them to teach you a certain thing. You then move on to the real world and land somewhere where they need what you learned. You think these colleges and universities operate solely on government support and the tuition that you pay? Companies donate to these institutions because they are looking for people like you. They are looking for other peoples skills, other peoples time, others people knowledge, while they reap the benefits of all your hard work by doing little to nothing and paying you a crappy salary.

If you go to school because u like it, then thats all good with me. But don't come to me with this bullshit that a BA or a Masters is gonna make me enough money to get the toys I want right now, not when i retire. :D

sorry for the novel lol

98BlkFormula
08-18-2008, 06:14 PM
see...that is exactly the problem with you guys. You guys have this broken concept that your hard work will pay off. That you need to put blood and sweat into everything that you do and you'll make money and be well off, and save for retirement. I say fuck saving for retirement, and fuck hard work. I don't want to spend my youth busting my ass in school and work, get a BA in something and then make 55-65k a year. No, i don't want to have money to spend when i'm 65, i want to enjoy it NOW, wtf is all that money good for when i'm old as shit?

you talk about opening up a doctors office and see how it goes. First off, let me put it this way. If i'm, lets say 28 by the time i'm a doctor or whatever...do you really think i'm gonna have the money to open up and office? How about you people break off that silly concept that you go to school, get a career and live happily ever after...wake up, its not true! you won't graduate and magically be really well off financially before you're 30. You people need higher goals and aspirations, how about instead of becoming a doctor you hire one to run the office for you? Have him do all the work and all the studying while you do nothing and take in the profit. Have you ever thought about that? of course not! you're still trying to earn a living the traditional way! :eyes:

This is how big companies started. Someone was smart enough to get people to do all the work for them. When you go to college/university you pay them to teach you a certain thing. You then move on to the real world and land somewhere where they need what you learned. You think these colleges and universities operate solely on government support and the tuition that you pay? Companies donate to these institutions because they are looking for people like you. They are looking for other peoples skills, other peoples time, others people knowledge, while they reap the benefits of all your hard work by doing little to nothing and paying you a crappy salary.

If you go to school because u like it, then thats all good with me. But don't come to me with this bullshit that a BA or a Masters is gonna make me enough money to get the toys I want right now, not when i retire. :D

sorry for the novel lol

im with you 100% i want money the ez way. I say we open up the LS1Tech Cartel :secret2:

PedroDePackas
08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
i agree. companies dont give a shit what your degree is in, they just want you to have one. thats some bullshit.

That's only true in some fields, so it depends on what you want to do for a living. I'll tell you this, you won't get a job like say as an engineer with a degree in history or liberal arts.

02NBMWS6
you won't graduate and magically be really well off financially before you're 30.

youre stupid man, the answer is YES, you can. Maybe YOU cant, but i sure can and will. and youre even stupider if you think that your dumbass with no education is going to be able to manipulate someone who actually has the intelligence to make it through school.

ur choice, u can have fun and fuck off now, and be screwed later. or you can put the time and work in now and enjoy it later. it's ur choice, dont knock others for theirs.

shit, you might as well just become a baseball player if you think you have the business sense to get rich without putting in any work!

L3THAL_Z28
it looks like that's exactly what he was saying, to me? sounds like someone doesnt do well in school. i dont mean u allblack..

yeah thats exactly what i said...good job, you have strong reading comprehension :lol:

as a matter of fact I always did good in school, i was actually in honors since elementary, throughout middle school, and took AP classes all 4 yrs of high school...boy what a waste of my time.

Universities should teach people how to make money and once you make that money teach how to reproduce it in large quantities. Instead of all the bullshit they teach you.

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
yeah thats exactly what i said...good job, you have strong reading comprehension :lol:

as a matter of fact I always did good in school, i was actually in honors since elementary, throughout middle school, and took AP classes all 4 yrs of high school...boy what a waste of my time.

Universities should teach people how to make money and once you make that money teach how to reproduce it in large quantities. Instead of all the bullshit they teach you.

i agree, u wont get really rich without business sense, but u need to start somewhere, school! How could you take all AP courses and then not continue to college? :confused:

and NO WAY should they teach people how to make money. if everyone was rich, what fun would that be?

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
youre stupid man, the answer is YES, you can. Maybe YOU cant, but i sure can and will. and youre even stupider if you think that your dumbass with no education is going to be able to manipulate someone who actually has the intelligence to make it through school.

ur choice, u can have fun and fuck off now, and be screwed later. or you can put the time and work in now and enjoy it later. it's ur choice, dont knock others for theirs.

shit, you might as well just become a baseball player if you think you have the business sense to get rich without putting in any work!

haha...your ignorant to think i'm not doing anything. My car doesn't run off love man, nor do i pay my bills with it either. The only reason why i'm saying this is because I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO MAKE MONEY THE EASY WAY. Did it cost me money? you bet your ass it did, about $3K to be exact. How long did it take me to learn what i'm gonna do the rest of my life? about 6 months. So no, i don't need school and yes i'll be making more than you :D

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
haha...your ignorant to think i'm not doing anything. My car doesn't run off love man, nor do i pay my bills with it either. The only reason why i'm saying this is because I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO MAKE MONEY THE EASY WAY. Did it cost me money? you bet your ass it did, about $3K to be exact. How long did it take me to learn what i'm gonna do the rest of my life? about 6 months. So no, i don't need school and yes i'll be making more than you :D

I highly doubt you'll be making more then me, and i'm gonna laugh when ur little business plan goes belly up due to some unforeseen change. what is it if you dont mind telling?

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
i agree, u wont get really rich without business sense, but u need to start somewhere, school! How could you take all AP courses and then not continue to college? :confused:

and NO WAY should they teach people how to make money. if everyone was rich, what fun would that be?

I've always hated school, i just did it because my parents made me. When you're hispanic people think the only way to succeed is to go to college and get a degree

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I've always hated school, i just did it because my parents made me. When you're hispanic people think the only way to succeed is to go to college and get a degree

i understand, and when u say you only did it cause ur parents wanted it, no wonder u hated it. u have to go to school because you yourself want to achieve a goal. i understand what ur saying about that, but shit, not everyone is gonna find "the easy way" and frankly i dont believe there is an "Easy way" through life.

Just like the saying "you get what u pay for" , you also "get what u put out"

and that has alot to do with self satisfaction

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I highly doubt you'll be making more then me, and i'm gonna laugh when ur little business plan goes belly up due to some unforeseen change. what is it if you dont mind telling?

Investments...but i'm not talking about stocks, cds, bonds or any of that worthless crap. You probably wouldn't know much about it, A LOT of people give me a blank stare when i talk about it. But let me tell you, this shit is a gold mine :D

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Investments...but i'm not talking about stocks, cds, bonds or any of the worthless crap. You probably wouldn't know much about it, A LOT of people give me a blank stare when i talk about it. But let me tell you, this shit is a gold mine :D
then why do u still drive a camaro? or why is it not a 9 second street car? :lol: jk man

hopefully that lasts for you, not everyone will get that lucky if everything youre saying is true, thats for damn sure.

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
i understand, and when u say you only did it cause ur parents wanted it, no wonder u hated it. u have to go to school because you yourself want to achieve a goal. i understand what ur saying about that, but shit, not everyone is gonna find "the easy way" and frankly i dont believe there is an "Easy way" through life.

Just like the saying "you get what u pay for" , you also "get what u put out"

and that has alot to do with self satisfaction

i wasn't telling him not to go to school. Just simply to do whatever made him happy. I just stated what i thought of school and crussinLS1 and other people got their panties in a bunch! :jest:

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
i wasn't telling him not to go to school. Just simply to do whatever made him happy. I just stated what i thought of school and crussinLS1 and other people got their panties in a bunch! :jest:

well u should clarify then, bc most people only say that something is garbage, and wotrhless if theyre trying to get you to avoid it. In the OP's case, school isnt prob the best option given his career choice though

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
then why do u still drive a camaro? or why is it not a 9 second street car? :lol: jk man

hopefully that lasts for you, not everyone will get that lucky if everything youre saying is true, thats for damn sure.

well, first off...i've always loved camaros, don't see myself selling it ever.

I will be upgrading to a C6 ZO6 sometime next year :nod:

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
well, first off...i've always loved camaros, don't see myself selling it ever.

I will be upgrading to a C6 ZO6 sometime next year :nod:

so what about the 9sec street car part then? :lol:

a 408, F1A, and a 9in would sure make that camaro alot more fun

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
well u should clarify then, bc most people only say that something is garbage, and wotrhless if theyre trying to get you to avoid it. In the OP's case, school isnt prob the best option given his career choice though

yeah you're right...not the best choice of words or advice to the kid. LS1Stunna there are other options out there!! you just have to know where to look! good luck!

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
LS1Stunna there are other options out there!! you just have to know where to look! good luck!

exactly. wow, was there actually just a conflict resolved in the Western Section? :emb: wtf are we coming to...

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
so what about the 9sec street car part then? :lol:

a 408, F1A, and a 9in would sure make that camaro alot more fun

Yeah, the money thats coming out is paying off family debts for now. lots of em lol
but anyway, I was leaning more towards an all out TT set up. what do you think, would that be sick or what?

cruiSSin LS1
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Anyone who thinks school is worthless, is ignorant. PERIOD. Do not try and justify your comments...BECAUSE people are going to look at you like you are an idiot. Im trying to save you the embarrassment.

I am not going to give you a million reasons why because to be honest, it wouldnt be worth my time. I am not gonna try and reason with stupidty.

And Will you are wrong about baseball players not working hard and getting a great pay day. That is one of the hardest things to do, its not all gravy believe me. Its a tough tough grind like any other profession.

If noone on here can speak with some experience under their belt, then your opinion is "worthless"...and no Lethal...ignorance does not count as experience if you were wondering, lol...

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:45 PM
And Will you are wrong about baseball players not working hard and getting a great pay day. That is one of the hardest things to do, its not all gravy believe me. Its a tough tough grind like any other profession.

i was just kidding man, u know, like how we all used to say we wanted to be baseball player's when we grew up. i know it's hard, it's damn near impossible and for most it's a pie in the sky dream, that was my point

02NBMWS6
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, the money thats coming out is paying off family debts for now. lots of em lol
but anyway, I was leaning more towards an all out TT set up. what do you think, would that be sick or what?

it'd be sick for sure, but an F1a would be way sicker IMO. Much simpler and then you wont have to worry about lag and other complications of turbos.

Or an all motor LSx 454, or n2o 408, or, well the list just goes on and on, but twin setups are not my favorite

cruiSSin LS1
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
i was just kidding man, u know, like how we all used to say we wanted to be baseball player's when we grew up. i know it's hard, it's damn near impossible and for most it's a pie in the sky dream, that was my point

lol gotcha...i will agree though...most baseball players are idiots...but not all

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Anyone who thinks school is worthless, is ignorant. PERIOD. Do not try and justify your comments...BECAUSE people are going to look at you like you are an idiot. Im trying to save you the embarrassment.

I am not going to give you a million reasons why because to be honest, it wouldnt be worth my time. I am not gonna try and reason with stupidty.

If noone on here can speak with some experience under their belt, then your opinion is "worthless"...and no Lethal...ignorance does not count as experience if you were wondering, lol...

lol...think what you want man, but 30yrs from now you're still going to be living your mediocre life. Ignorance is thinking school IS the ONLY option. I'll be sure to check back to you in a couple of months and show you how ignorant i am :eyes: hope you don't get jealous :engarde:

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 06:52 PM
it'd be sick for sure, but an F1a would be way sicker IMO. Much simpler and then you wont have to worry about lag and other complications of turbos.

Or an all motor LSx 454, or n2o 408, or, well the list just goes on and on, but twin setups are not my favorite

i'll be looking for opinions down the line so i'll be sure to hit u up...i know that LS1 is coming out for sure and going into a lightweight car...but thats a matter all in its own.

cruiSSin LS1
08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
lol...think what you want man, but 30yrs from now you're still going to be living your mediocre life. Ignorance is thinking school IS the ONLY option. I'll be sure to check back to you in a couple of months and show you how ignorant i am :eyes: hope you don't get jealous :engarde:

LMAO!!!! Did I say school was the only option??? Stop making shit up... I called you out your on "school is worthless" comment...

Im just going to leave this thread alone and assume you are an 18 year old kid who thinks he knows it all...have a good day Taco Bell lol:chug:

Spiral04
08-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I always thought school was BS, and I have dual degrees from UCLA. The benefit to having the degree is people think I'm smarter:D, and or companies know I put up with the BS in school, so I should be able to handle whatever work they throw at me. I went to school to please my parents only! School gave me a vast arrary of knowledge, much of which I knew I never planned to use, but I do know alot about nothing now!

1.Middle class people say go to school and go work for someone and get a good job that pays well
2.The rich will tell you to learn as much as you can and go out on your own. Basically, don't put your hard work towards paying someone else's salary/riches

It's very easy to go work for the gov't and show up in your monkey suit and collect the decent pay and pension. It's another thing to learn what you can and go out on your own. You have to decide. The benefits are the only thing I wish I had that would sway me to work for someone else. I know a few people who recently retired, and they make as much as they did when they worked.

I started really pushing my company full time freshman year of college. Now looking back, I would of been better suited off not getting my degree and putting all my efforts into my company. College may have set me back a few years?? I do have my education to fall back on if something was to ever happen.....

You should do as you want. Becoming a cop or firefighter is a very honorable job. What about learning body shop and becoming an owner?? I don't see too many good body shops hurting for buisness, do you? Too many bad drivers and mandatory auto insurance make auto body not too bad a buisness. I'm looking into this myself, as one day I hope to buy an established shop and work my magic on it:D

What ever you decide, if you love what you do, money doesn't matter. Your young, go do it!!:chug:

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
lets just leave it at that cruissin...i respect your opinion, i know what i have in my hands and if you don't want to acknowledge that then thats cool.

L3THAL_Z28
08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
02NBMWS6 clean your pm box :lol:

allblacksrt4
08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
someone did say school is worthless. Also if you want to move up into say detective, shit like that, you do need a degree. Otherwise you'll stay on patrol, maybe be a sergeant. My brother is a cop in Dallas.

really i have a family member with no degree and he is lead detective at is station.

primer84z
08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
wow, I didnt know getting rich was that easy. Maybe you should go around giving get rich quick seminars.

primer84z
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
really i have a family member with no degree and he is lead detective at is station.

well i have an uncle who banged the presidents cousin whos daughter blew my other uncle who had no degree and then he was a police chief. Dude the point is having a degree makes you more competitive than someone who doesnt. Is it necessary, NO, does it help, YES.

allblacksrt4
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
the only way to make real money is open u your own buisness. Thats what i am doing.

2c5s
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
the only way to make real money is open u your own buisness. Thats what i am doing.

Define "real money".

The guy that has found the secret to making money..... c'mon, share the investment. In addition, please share with us your previous occupation prior to the "investment".

primer84z
08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Invest in coke dude, thats where the money is at. Haven't you seen Scarface??

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Define "real money".

The guy that has found the secret to making money..... c'mon, share the investment. In addition, please share with us your previous occupation prior to the "investment".

I would share i you had a notion of the stock market. what good is it if i shared the investment/investments (theres plenty to choose from) if you don't know anything about investing...you don't know the terminology, you don't have a broker, you don't have an account, u don't know anything about the stock market. And nobody is going to let you in on the secrets for free. Don't think this matters but I was the IT Tech and the lead person in Database Management and Development at a non profit org in downtown.

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 01:29 AM
wow, I didnt know getting rich was that easy. Maybe you should go around giving get rich quick seminars.

no need for that

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 01:36 AM

that might work if in the long run it makes enough money to pay someone to run it for you. Unless you want to spend countless hours making it work and having very little time to enjoy profits.

RooRnZ28
08-19-2008, 01:48 AM
I always thought school was BS, and I have dual degrees from UCLA. The benefit to having the degree is people think I'm smarter:D, and or companies know I put up with the BS in school, so I should be able to handle whatever work they throw at me. I went to school to please my parents only! School gave me a vast arrary of knowledge, much of which I knew I never planned to use, but I do know alot about nothing now!

1.Middle class people say go to school and go work for someone and get a good job that pays well
2.The rich will tell you to learn as much as you can and go out on your own. Basically, don't put your hard work towards paying someone else's salary/riches

It's very easy to go work for the gov't and show up in your monkey suit and collect the decent pay and pension. It's another thing to learn what you can and go out on your own. You have to decide. The benefits are the only thing I wish I had that would sway me to work for someone else. I know a few people who recently retired, and they make as much as they did when they worked.

I started really pushing my company full time freshman year of college. Now looking back, I would of been better suited off not getting my degree and putting all my efforts into my company. College may have set me back a few years?? I do have my education to fall back on if something was to ever happen.....

You should do as you want. Becoming a cop or firefighter is a very honorable job. What about learning body shop and becoming an owner?? I don't see too many good body shops hurting for buisness, do you? Too many bad drivers and mandatory auto insurance make auto body not too bad a buisness. I'm looking into this myself, as one day I hope to buy an established shop and work my magic on it:D

What ever you decide, if you love what you do, money doesn't matter. Your young, go do it!!:chug:

He's right.... and people that don't go to school will never realize this. There is more to life out there than just "making money". Now I dont know much about "investments", cause it seems boring as hell to me, but more power to you if it pays the bills and makes the car faster. :chug: This is the point i'm trying to make...

When it comes down to it, if you love what you do, then the money earned is just icing on the cake.

zjt
08-19-2008, 02:13 AM
that goes for you too...i agree with you that getting an education can't hurt, but the reason why people do it is what makes it worthless. If you wan't to go to school because you want to grow as a person that's all good but if you're looking to change your average life by going to school you're in for a reality check.

For some people it is the only option for what they want do. School is my only option to get into Solid State physics, it's an all or nothing deal.

On the same note for many people it's just a piece of paper showing that you sat in class for four years lol. School isn't for everyone and it's not because they can't do it. As you stated, it's irrelevant if they do it, unless it's for furthering him or herself as a person.

All I was sayin is there's more than one way to skin a cat lol, I've picked up a few ways in my short time on this rock and I'm sure I have lots of reality checks ahead of me :D

2c5s
08-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I would share i you had a notion of the stock market. what good is it if i shared the investment/investments (theres plenty to choose from) if you don't know anything about investing...you don't know the terminology, you don't have a broker, you don't have an account, u don't know anything about the stock market. And nobody is going to let you in on the secrets for free. Don't think this matters but I was the IT Tech and the lead person in Database Management and Development at a non profit org in downtown.

But you see, I do have a notion of the stock market. I'm an RIA and a licensed stock broker. Ser.6,26,7,24,65,63. 17 yrs. in the industry. C'mon, clue me in.

Going to school does not confirm prosperity. It's supposed to teach you how to think. How you apply those skills is up to you.

ALLBOTTLE
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
But you see, I do have a notion of the stock market. I'm an RIA and a licensed stock broker. Ser.6,26,7,24,65,63. 17 yrs. in the industry. C'mon, clue me in.

Going to school does not confirm prosperity. It's supposed to teach you how to think. How you apply those skills is up to you.

dude i always thought you sold health insurance.....

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Commodities...instead of teaching you how to think, they put you in the correct frame of mind so that the company you end up with can mold you into what they want and need.

ALLBOTTLE
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Commodities

Commodities Trading:
the art of artificially raising the price of a limited resource to become wealthy while fucking over everyone else.

i sure hope the new fed regulations pass raising the minimum requirements, and licensing required to trade commodities so we dont end up with $200 barrels of oil and $5/g of mile for no reason.

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
For some people it is the only option for what they want do. School is my only option to get into Solid State physics, it's an all or nothing deal.

On the same note for many people it's just a piece of paper showing that you sat in class for four years lol. School isn't for everyone and it's not because they can't do it. As you stated, it's irrelevant if they do it, unless it's for furthering him or herself as a person.

All I was sayin is there's more than one way to skin a cat lol, I've picked up a few ways in my short time on this rock and I'm sure I have lots of reality checks ahead of me :D

i'll have to agree with you...i'm about a year and a half from graduating, do i want to go? No, but my parents want me to get a BA since my sister graduated with a double major and a minor in art :eyes:

i was called ignorant because i don't believe school is worth it and that i'll be a failure. But some people on here don't even know me, I know the ins and outs of programs like Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects. There isn't many people on here that can do video editing with idvd or whatever...much less with programs like these that cost over a grand. I didn't have to go to school to learn what i know, but for some reason i'm ignorant :eyes: Some people are just quick to jump out to a conclusion. Like i did with 2C5s :lol:

L3THAL_Z28
08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Commodities Trading:
the art of artificially raising the price of a limited resource to become wealthy while fucking over everyone else.

i sure hope the new fed regulations pass raising the minimum requirements, and licensing required to trade commodities so we dont end up with $200 barrels of oil and $5/g of mile for no reason.

light crude oil is the least of my concerns...there's hundreds of commodities to choose from.

fucking everyone else over? haha, its a dog eat dog business. If you knew how to do it and it raked in money like a muthafkr you'd do it to so spare me the BS definition :lol:

2c5s
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
dude i always thought you sold health insurance.....

You just asked what company I work for, they do it all.

ALLBOTTLE
08-19-2008, 10:51 AM
You just asked what company I work for, they do it all.

So i could have started my portfolio with you 2-3 years ago instead of doing it on my own :bang:

2c5s
08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Some people are just quick to jump out to a conclusion. Like i did with 2C5s :lol:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, I asked for clarification.

And yes, you can make a ton of money. How long have you been at this?

2c5s
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
So i could have started my portfolio with you 2-3 years ago instead of doing it on my own :bang:

Yes. If you want, I'll review what you have.

ALLBOTTLE
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes. If you want, I'll review what you have.

I wan to start a new one. Safe low risk for the long haul. ill talk to you more about it in person.

2c5s
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM

How's your portfolio today??????????????????????