Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

My car got keyed. Any idea if this amount will total it

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My car got keyed. Any idea if this amount will total it

So I woke up yesterday morning and my car was keyed. Front to back, headlights, turn signals, driver window. The whole car needs re-painted and my quote came to $6,442.11. My car is a 2000 Camaro SS. T-tops, leather, full power. It has 113k miles. I really don't want the car to be totaled. The local insurance said it was to high of a claim for them and it had to be turned into claims. She didn't sound real positive on assuring me that it wouldn't be totaled so that makes me worry. Anyone have any input on this situation. Insurance is state farm. With that amount is it probably gonna be totaled
Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, take the check and buy it back and through more mods on

and sorry for your misfortune
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

well i still owe 5k. So if they total it and give me a check for what it books for $9100.00. That leaves me with appox. 4100 bucks. Then who knows what it'll cost to buy it back. I have over 7k in mods already. What happens to all that stuff?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't think he meant that he gets the $6400, i think what he is saying is that is what it is going to cost to get the car repainted and lights and widows replaced... sounds like his insurance isn't paying anything either..? sorry if i'm reading this wrong.. sorry for the misfortune man, i would go crazy if someone messed up my car like that.. good luck on the insurance and car..
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

This sucks. I dont want the car to get totaled I just want good paint again and move on. I dont want it totaled.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

IF... you get money, buying the car back should be cheap if it goes how I think. But you should be able to fix it and pay it off, and get an alarm with motion sensors
Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kkslds
So I woke up yesterday morning and my car was keyed. Front to back, headlights, turn signals, driver window. The whole car needs re-painted and my quote came to $6,442.11. My car is a 2000 Camaro SS. T-tops, leather, full power. It has 113k miles. I really don't want the car to be totaled. The local insurance said it was to high of a claim for them and it had to be turned into claims. She didn't sound real positive on assuring me that it wouldn't be totaled so that makes me worry. Anyone have any input on this situation. Insurance is state farm. With that amount is it probably gonna be totaled

If the car books out @ $9100 WHOLESALE, then it takes AT LEAST 70% of that number to total the car = $6370. So depending on State Farms protocol, you car may be totalled. You do however, have a say in the matter because the damage is mostly cosmetic- it should not have a salvage title.

Some insurance companies total loss thresholds are higher than others, and some are even @ 100%. So you never know. One of the reasons that they may not be able to tell you is because the initial estimate is often times 'preliminary' and if the ins. co. thinks there may be some supplements, they can be reluctant to fix the car and may total it depending on how close to the threshold it is.

Good luck, if I can help you answer any questions, let me know. I own a Collision Shop and deal with this sort of thing daily.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

If the car books out @ $9100 WHOLESALE, then it takes AT LEAST 70% of that number to total the car = $6370. So depending on State Farms protocol, you car may be totalled. You do however, have a say in the matter because the damage is mostly cosmetic- it should not have a salvage title.

Some insurance companies total loss thresholds are higher than others, and some are even @ 100%. So you never know. One of the reasons that they may not be able to tell you is because the initial estimate is often times 'preliminary' and if the ins. co. thinks there may be some supplements, they can be reluctant to fix the car and may total it depending on how close to the threshold it is.

Good luck, if I can help you answer any questions, let me know. I own a Collision Shop and deal with this sort of thing daily.
Thank you very much. I have a $500 deductable. Does that get takin off what they would compare to my %70? Like $6442 with $6370 (%70)= totaled but $6442-$500=$5942 which puts me under the %70. I hope I didnt confuse you
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

They will look at the total damage amount, the deductible is just your responsibility to pay the shop when you have them repair the car.

I think your borderline, but don't worry about them turning it in, alot of the agencies around here turn them in when a claim get's above 2500.
I'm guessing they are just going to send a adjuster to review and cut the estimate..

My guess is that something will get worked out and the car will get fixed, but only time will tell.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

I hope your right. I had a friends car that had a similar incident happen to his car. An adjuster came out and gave a low ball estimate and gave him a check for that amount. He said if it cost more just tell the body shop to bill them. That away their not giving a big check away and nothing get fixed. Hopefully your right about the adjuster and thats what my situation is. I just want it fixed. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you like the car and want the car, take the highest total amount, that you can get before totaling the car, then work with the shop or pay the difference
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPDEMON

He hit the nail right on the head.

<---auto damage appraiser
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

state farm in mo uses nada to gauge the value of a vehicle. so if nada says 9100.00 and the total is 6400. that means the damage is 70% of the vehicle value which in mo will not total a car it has to be 80%. the only good thing about it being keyed is that there is no hidden damage so the price should not go up enough to total it once repairs have started. only diff would be maybe some parts price increases. also state farm probably pays less an hour then the body shop charges so the total of their estimate should be lower assuming you had the estimate done at a dealership, or other well known shop that would charge the same. example the shop i work at charges 44 an hour but state farm pays 40, so we deal with it and work from that price, as any shop will do to get the job. keyed vehicles are a cake walk for a body shop so no one will turn it down. just check your state guidelines and see what % they will total a car at and go from there. i deal with insurance claims all day as i am an estimater at the dealerships bodyshop i work for, if you have any questions send me a pm. hope this helps sorry for the long post.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Most insurance companies will go off of retail values, not wholesale values...just something to remember.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Hope everything goes good, and you get everything straight
Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies everyone. nada wouldnt work yesterday. I got 9100 from kbb. I think they are usually a little lower. I think i'm supposed to get a call today so we'll see what happens. I'll post as soon as i find out. thanks again
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Since it is just cosmetic, force them to fix it, do not tollerate them totaling it over paint work.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**** that, this is such bullshit!!!! if there is no body/frame damage or drivetrain damage...if all it needs is paint and crap, how the **** can they "total" the car???!!!!! ****, you can get headlights, turn signals, windows off eBay or the junkyard.. ******* insurance companies...all they do is take ur money and then butt **** u when you need them.

**** if worse came to worse i would get the parts off of eBay and take the car to Maco...

Damn man, i realllllly hope everything works out for you; i kno what it is like to lose a card you love over some bullshit...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

sorry to hear abour ur car. Something cosmetic i wouldnt think they would total it. i think ur in the clear here
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your insurance not cover you for glass replacement? I'm sure there's probably plenty of people still got a set of headlights hanging around in the parts classifieds! Would your insurance also not pay out if you could find a body shop that would respray the car for less & give them the quote.
I've got some turn signals I'll ship you for free! I ain't usin em.

Quick Reply: My car got keyed. Any idea if this amount will total it