Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ambient Lighting in the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambient Lighting in the car

I have been wanting to put ambient lights under my seats and in the floorboards. Has anybody on here done this before? What materials are best for this application? Should I go with light bars or LEDs? This isn't taking any priority at the moment. More like a planned future mod. I still have to fix my interior and before I do that buy a new clutch(my current one is feeling like a lizard in the Sahara). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess the neon bars would work but why??? lol don't put those on!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, well there's a few things you should note if you're going this route:

Don't do colors. Seriously, it looks bad. I did red for a while but when I switched to white LED's things looked a whole lot cleaner.

It shouldn't hurt your eyes. Not only should the lighting not be directly in any kind of line of sight while driving, but it also shouldn't be near reflective surfaces that will reflect the light near your eyes. It might not be noticeable at first, but your eyes will get fatigued very quickly if you disobey this one.

Lighting in high-end cars is designed to highlight accents. You should do the same. You don't put lighting that lights up carpet, you have it light up something pretty or something important. No one wants to look at carpet no matter how clean it is. And if your car isn't show-room clean it'll look like complete *** with dirt/lint/paper as the only thing people see.

If you really want your lighting to pop, get some kind of stainless steel accent for your interior and have some nice white lights illuminate it indirectly. Check out how the 3 series and up BMW's or (for a real cool look) the Mercedes S550 do it.

Just don't pop some neons under your seats and feet like I did. It looks cool for a day and then it starts to look like *** real quick. I'm yet to see any fbody owner do it "right".
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

^got any pics of your setup?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with trojan. i did blue and kind of regret it. i wish i had went with white. on the driver side, the bar tucked up in there nicely. but on the passenger side it hangs down a bit. it pisses me off, but it will have to do for now.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trojan35
Okay, well there's a few things you should note if you're going this route:

Don't do colors. Seriously, it looks bad. I did red for a while but when I switched to white LED's things looked a whole lot cleaner.

It shouldn't hurt your eyes. Not only should the lighting not be directly in any kind of line of sight while driving, but it also shouldn't be near reflective surfaces that will reflect the light near your eyes. It might not be noticeable at first, but your eyes will get fatigued very quickly if you disobey this one.

Lighting in high-end cars is designed to highlight accents. You should do the same. You don't put lighting that lights up carpet, you have it light up something pretty or something important. No one wants to look at carpet no matter how clean it is. And if your car isn't show-room clean it'll look like complete *** with dirt/lint/paper as the only thing people see.

If you really want your lighting to pop, get some kind of stainless steel accent for your interior and have some nice white lights illuminate it indirectly. Check out how the 3 series and up BMW's or (for a real cool look) the Mercedes S550 do it.

Just don't pop some neons under your seats and feet like I did. It looks cool for a day and then it starts to look like *** real quick. I'm yet to see any fbody owner do it "right".

I plan on having some stuff embroidered in the new floormats I'm getting, so I will have a reason to have the lights. However, what else would be good to highlight under there?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Embroidery in white cotton thread and then use a blacklight. Embroidery glows! Or would that be too much? Probably be a pain to keep clean too... nevermind.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK...maybe I just come across anyone who I rubbed the wrong way, but I've never had any complaints of my setup. I also didn't want to go with specific areas lit, but instead of a more generalized lighting effect.

(Pardon the difficulty I had with photographing the UV lighting)

And no...those hotspots are not readily visible with the naked eye.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

I have some ambient lighting in my car, not as intense as cobrahunters (mine is purple/uv also). It's very subtle, i'll get some pics.

LEDs are your best friend, check out superbrightleds.com they have all kinds of crap. Also some wire, solder, and a soldering iron!

Quick Reply: Ambient Lighting in the car