Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD #6010 users turning 7k and more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question MSD #6010 users turning 7k and more?

Im unable to turn over 6900 with my carbed 402"LS2 with MSD^6010 controller, seems like a ignition break down to me, can anybody confirm over
7k operation with your own build using this box?
all help appreciated....
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles, the 6010 box is much cleaner but a front drive dist. is tried and true. It is stable at high RPM's. I wonder if the resolution on the reluctor wheel could be the trouble? Also is the cam designed for carb. use IE.(overlap, intake center line). Your engine makes nice power and awesome E.T.s,trap speeds!!!!!! Would love to see more pic. of your car on this thread. Hope you get it straightened out soon! JC
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxlowtech
Sorry to hear of your troubles, the 6010 box is much cleaner but a front drive dist. is tried and true. It is stable at high RPM's. I wonder if the resolution on the reluctor wheel could be the trouble? Also is the cam designed for carb. use IE.(overlap, intake center line). Your engine makes nice power and awesome E.T.s,trap speeds!!!!!! Would love to see more pic. of your car on this thread. Hope you get it straightened out soon! JC
Thanks, the cam and carb are tuned properly on our Superflow engine dyno, the motor made this power level just before this breakdown of ignition occurs, it may be inhibiting the peak power since the trouble starts right at that point.The car ran 10.49@127 mph only pulling to the 1000 ft mark with the 4.88 gears i was running, it has more left when i can get it to rev clean above 7 k. I need input from guys who are doing what im doing with no problem, please any help appreciated?
ps. i will put up more pics soon thanks for your compliments.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

valve float? ran into this issue on a brand new 5.0 motor (ran 10.70s on DRs) and had the same problem at about 7300. Everything was replaced with known good parts on behalf of the builder only for me to find out by way of three days of diagnosis that valve float was the issue. Mind you the springs were brand new and working fine but just werent suited to anything higher than what it was going. After swapping in new valve springs that were stiffer it reved to 8000 and ended up picking up 4/10ths from just that. I can absolutely guarantee that the reluctor wheel has the resolution to handle 7k amd I wouldnt be looking there at all. Id check the rev limiter programmed to the msd box first and if thats ok start looking at valve train as a likely canidate.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by matty b
valve float? ran into this issue on a brand new 5.0 motor (ran 10.70s on DRs) and had the same problem at about 7300. Everything was replaced with known good parts on behalf of the builder only for me to find out by way of three days of diagnosis that valve float was the issue. Mind you the springs were brand new and working fine but just werent suited to anything higher than what it was going. After swapping in new valve springs that were stiffer it reved to 8000 and ended up picking up 4/10ths from just that. I can absolutely guarantee that the reluctor wheel has the resolution to handle 7k amd I wouldnt be looking there at all. Id check the rev limiter programmed to the msd box first and if thats ok start looking at valve train as a likely canidate.
OK i thought the same thing and stepped up from Comp 921 springs to Ferrea higher spring rate springs for this application, it had absolutely no effect on the problem. I even rechecked the old springs on the Rymac and they hadnt lost any tension, so i am confident it is not floating the valves. The MSD rev limiter has been moved several times and it is accurate, that is a soft touch rev limit also, this problem i have is a chaotic miss with popping also . I am questioning the coil dwell time that MSD supplies with the 6010, that is not programmable on my end. They are looking into this for me but no answers yet, i am using stock f body coils btw also.
ANYONE revving 6010 above 6900 here please step in and tell me?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Shift mine @ 7300 with no problems.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by 936LNOTCH
Shift mine @ 7300 with no problems.
This info has what to do with my problem? Do you run a 6010 msd module?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you asked for anything did you reset the default rev limiter in the box?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Yes I am running a 6010 module and rev it to 7300. Haven't had any problems with it at all. How much timing is in it at the top end?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

I could be wrong, but if the box you are using is the one in your sig picture are you sure it is a 6010? That box is red and all of the 6010's I have seen are black???
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Teching In

My 6010 is red.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

my 6010 is red
what is your rev limit set at? when i had mine on the dyno, although not rev'n past 7k(6600) i heard a small hiccup-the guy running the dyno said he has seen the msd boxes start activating the rev limiter early, 2-300 rpm from the set amount-sure enough, thats what it was-i rem'ed the limit for the test, cured the problem-may not be your problem, just something to look at
i wonder if a weak cam or crank sensor could affect it
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Even tho it's a carbed setup, have you monitored the fuel pressure @WFO?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Since you asked for anything did you reset the default rev limiter in the box?
Yes i did several times and it moves around where i set it, that is a soft touch rev limit , and my problem is more violent.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 936LNOTCH
Yes I am running a 6010 module and rev it to 7300. Haven't had any problems with it at all. How much timing is in it at the top end?
I run 34* and we snuck up on this figure in 2* increments to look for any signs of detonation, it made more power and torque each time i added more starting at 28* all the way up to 34*. The compression is 11.4 and the cam is a large hydraulic roller. peak power comes in right where my cough and shake problem beigins at 6900. I wonder if the light gauge power and ground feed wires to the MSD unit are marginal for current needed?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Even tho it's a carbed setup, have you monitored the fuel pressure @WFO?
ok i have a very large volume dedicated feed and regulating log style with return line to fuel cell system, i run 7 psi and it maintains at least 5 with a cowl mounted gauge . The problem happens on the dyno with no G-force related conditions also.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forcd ind
my 6010 is red
what is your rev limit set at? when i had mine on the dyno, although not rev'n past 7k(6600) i heard a small hiccup-the guy running the dyno said he has seen the msd boxes start activating the rev limiter early, 2-300 rpm from the set amount-sure enough, thats what it was-i rem'ed the limit for the test, cured the problem-may not be your problem, just something to look at
i wonder if a weak cam or crank sensor could affect it
Ok i talk with MSD before and he assured me the cam sensor is only used for startup, i have changed crank sensor 3 times with known good sensors and there is no difference with the problem, it is a Callies Compastar crank with a 26x reluctor wheel that i verified the air gap to be consistent and true.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

You may want to pull the box and ship it back to MSD if they will help you out. Have them run their end of line quality check and replace the defective component if needed. They may not run a 100% quality check but may perform a RS sample during the build process. The folks responding to your thread appear to have no defects at high rpm's which would point to your box being defective or some other problem not related to the MSD system.
LSX
Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which coils are you running, LS1 or later LS2's? There is a setting in the box for them also.

I have read some horror stories on the MSD support forums about the boxes being sensitive to the pulse shape out of the reluctor wheel. In the one case the guy could not run with the MSD box, but it worked fine with a stock ECM. After several pages of help from the MSD folks and a couple of round trip shippings of the box to MSD, MSD finally told the guy their product would not work in his application.

IIRC the guys was running a Callis crank, too.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Pop N Wood;10043841]Which coils are you running, LS1 or later LS2's? There is a setting in the box for them also.

I have read some horror stories on the MSD support forums about the boxes being sensitive to the pulse shape out of the reluctor wheel. In the one case the guy could not run with the MSD box, but it worked fine with a stock ECM. After several pages of help from the MSD folks and a couple of round trip shippings of the box to MSD, MSD finally told the guy their product would not work in his application.

IIRC the guys was running a Callis crank, too.[/QUOTE

Im running 98 f-body coils with a ls1 msd box, i did have intermittent no start problems with this unit and MSD changed the codeing in the box to make it less sensitive, it works great now but this hi rpm miss was there before and after the MSD fix.

Quick Reply: MSD #6010 users turning 7k and more?