Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

a message to all bird owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a message to all bird owners

listen fellas, this is a message from a former t/a owner. if you ever have any kind of thoughts of selling your car, DONT DO IT. there is nothing i have regreted more then getting rid of my t/a. o ya it'll be cool to go get a new car, better gas mileage, blah blah blah. dont get me wrong, the malibu is nice, but seriously, WTF was I thinking!?!? the t/a was paid for, all i was paying was gas and insurance. i will be honest and forward, im a dumbass. now im in a worse position then i was before, i have a car payment, gas, insurance, and hour cuts at work. **** me. sorry for this long speil, but i needed a place to vent. if there was anyway i could go back and not get rid of the bird, I would do it. dont ever make the same mistake I have. peace out.
-kevano
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was contemplating trading my bird towards a new g8 maybe a TBSS...but no...I have too much heart into that inatimate object....lol it sounds wierd talking about a thing..personifying it, but yeah my car is part of me. and non-car people dont understand that...everyone has their thing...i dont know why non-car people cant leave us car people alone.

....what were we talking about?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe one day you can buy another f-body. I know a few people that have bought the new Malibu and they seem to like it a lot. I would buy one as a DD, but I will always have an f-body in my garage.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I planned on taking my bird to the grave with me. Have spent far too much time, blood, and sweat getting it to where it is today. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Plus, it's paid for.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune though. Hope things turn around and get better for you.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know what it is like to get rid of a Blk/Blk 2002 auto Ws6. Payments were about $600.00 month and I was gettin married. I felt real bad that I had to get rid of ws6 because of payment. I had the car for 4 years. So after I got married I had to get another fbody. Once you taste it you cannot go back. Except for maybe a vette or something. Anyway I was comin into a lil money in late 2006, and I was looking for an LS1. Well in Orlando Fla, I found a completly stock to the air filter2000 TA 6 speed for $13,500 had 55,000 miles on it. So I grabbed it and now payments are $200.00 month.

But now I dont care if I put 250,000 miles on this car. I am not gettin rid of it. Even if gas prices go real high. I am glad I found this opportunity to get one. Hope u find one again bro take care.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

That sux selling a ride you love. I have a Z06 and was drawn to F-bodies. Now I have a Z06 and a Z28 and I love them both. Now I'm looking for a WS6 to complete my GM trifecta of speed.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z16kalel
That sux selling a ride you love. I have a Z06 and was drawn to F-bodies. Now I have a Z06 and a Z28 and I love them both. Now I'm looking for a WS6 to complete my GM trifecta of speed.
Thats the way to do it!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man Im already thinking about selling my car once its all paid off, and thats in 3 years. But as I think about it, I dont even want to pay anymore cars off for a while. I just want to save up money for my future and/or mods. But if I do get rid of my fbody it will be for an frc, or a terminator.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats one thing thats nice about having an older LT1 car, its paid off, and probably not worth selling/trading in, so when the time comes for a newer car (probably soon as my DD subaru has over 200k) i'll buy something newer and have the T/A for the weekends like it is now.. 13 years old and not a single "winter" (it was a hawaii, north carolina, where it saw one light dusting of snow, florida and arizona car until i brought it back to indiana last summer, and stored it last winter)
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I've been there. I had an 80 Turbo Special Edition and an 89 20th Anniversary (which I bought new). Sold the 80 in 1997 and the 89 in 1998 so I could buy a house and get married. I regret selling both, and drove family cars around for years, but REALLY missed the TAs. 2 years ago I bought my 97....and love the thing. It doesn't have the looks of the 80.....but it sure is alot like driving the 89.

I have no plans of ever getting rid of it.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Launching!

couldnt say I know how you feel, i WANT to sell my v6 lol. As far as gas mileage why are you guys saying that is a factor for selling. LS1s get 20s city and 30 highway? not many cars around can even beat that by much..
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I get rid of a car is when I'm either forced to, or there's a better one. Example: Had a lifted 86 Burban, chameleon flames, pretty nice. Found a 91 Formula, SUHWEEET Traded it + like $1K. Year + later, motor pops, sat for awhile and parents made me get rid of it. Ontop of that, they made me get rid of my Conquest too!!! >_< I never got the Conquest driving either :\ I really wanted to drive that car.

On the brighter side, with the Camaro and G8 here, F-Body prices should drop.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The good MPG is only there when you drive casually. But the way I drive, and Im sure others are a bit heavy footed aswell.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

I know how you feel. I have contemplated getting rid of my 99 TA, but when it comes down to it I just can't. I wanted the Trans Am ever since I was a kid watching knight rider on tv. I even had a knight rider big wheel with a reflective scanner strip that I regret getting rid of. Now I have the decision of waiting on a used 5th gen or try to get an all black 02 ws6. Decisions, decisions...
Old 09-13-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

If I was to be offered good $$$ for my bird
First thing I will be looking for another stock 1
And moding it with the good stuff
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

I'm still not over my black '89 Firebird. It was a V-6 but I had GTA wheels on it. That little 2.8 was not a monster but it was a nice cruiser. I got rid of it and still regret it. I really can not see myself getting rid of my Formula.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Im glad i read this, i always wondered how i would feel if i ever sold the T/A. Wondering if i could ever hand the keys over to the salesman and pick up a new ________, or waking up the following morning and not seeing the nostrils staring back at me through my room window.
-Joel
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I feel for anyone that has had to sacrifice and sell thier F body. I am now 43 and bought my first brand new Firebird in 1985, totalled that one quick and bought a new 1986. Loved that one for a while then got married. I thought I had to start looking responsible so no more Firebird for me and I sold it. Biggest mistake I ever made. Fact is these cars get in your blood. You feel an empty spot when you dont have one. Crazy? Sure. But I am sure we have all felt it before. So back to my story. After getting married and being responsible for a while, I dabbled in the used Firebird market without my wifes blessings. I bought a couple every few years or so and kept the burn going. Fast forward 20 years and where I am now, I own my own business and have more fun money than I ever have before. Time to start playing, right? You bet your dual exhaust *** it is. 9 months ago I bought a POS 1979 Firebird Formula with a 400 and a 4 speed. I am happy to say that it has just been completed as a Bandit tributecar.

I am also happy to report that I have taken it full circle and just two days ago picked up a mint 1998 Trans Am with a built up LS1 and six speed.

I really don't know which one I like more, but I do know that they are both going to go into my warehouse for storage and will come out as much as possible. I have room for one more in there if GM gets smart and build the 5th gen.

Morale is, you may go away from the Bird for a while, but it will always be there when you want it back. And you will be back. Trust me.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never even crossed my mind.... but thanks for the warning not to do so.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had two LT1 Formulas. I sold the first one when I came under financial pressure. Then, when the situation evened out, I bought another identical one - A4/3.23.

Then the opportunity to buy my Judge came along. I had to sell the second Firebird to raise money to buy it and get it running. Two years later when that was done, the next time I got behind the wheel of a 4th gen Firebird, I asked myself, "How could I have gone so long without one of these?" Bought the LS1 Formula and the rest is history.

These cars just "fit me" somehow. I can't really explain it. It just feels right when I'm behind the wheel.