Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ebay kit + engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay kit + engine mods

Hi@all,

as this is my first post on this forum let me quickly introduce myself.
My name is Stefan, I am form Munich/Germany, 37 years old and in the german porsche scene for a long time actually owning a heavily modified 911 turbo and 928 s4.
My actual project car is a 944 s2 with a blown engine that I originally wanted to replace with a N/A LS1 engine out of a 97 corvette.
One thing lead to each other, bought an engine with 29k miles last year in Texas, ordered a conversion kit and... then I found and bought this well known ebay single turbo kit that finally arrived last week (My buying decission was assisted by the fact that the conversion headers only where 200$ more than the whole turbo kit).

For the first shot my goal is to keep things on the save side conc. boost level (< 7 psi) and engine mods.
Just let me give you a brief list of mods I am going to do over the next months and parts I have already received or ordered (step 1):

Engine (step 1):

- Aluminium intake manifold (what is the best value for money there ?)
- 85 mm throttle body
- 85 mm maf
- 42 lbs injectors
- Comp cams pushrods
- Racing valve springs (Patrick racing ?)
- ARP head studs
- ARP rod bolts
- High volume oil pump
- Racing radiator (part of my conversion kit)
- Flowbench cylinderheads ( Is this necessary for the first step, or do the org. heads the job ?)
- org. rods, pistons and cr

Ebay kit (step 1):

- Chinese turbo (to start with I will keep it, lets see what will happen)
- Chinese wastegate (same approach as turbo)

I hope to land near 450 hp or above with this setup.

For the second step to be done when all other things on the car are sorted out I plan to upgrade the engine with steel internals and a suitable turbo/wg.

Would be nice to receive your feedback on the above.

Thanks

Stefan
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

If you've not purchased the ebay kit yet, I would send ModularTurbo
LS1Tech Sponsor a PM. Affordable DIY kits, not much more then the ebay stuff and you don't get any CHINSE ****.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm whatever "kit" your talking about wont fit the porsche chassis anyways so you have to re-design the whole system however you look at it
Old 09-05-2008, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

exactly, you'll need a custom kit, and the absolute cheapest turbo I would run with it would be a master power t70 with a tial 38mm wastegate.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

@ctx97:
Thanks for the offer, but the kit arrived last week.

@fenix999:
I'll try and let you know. From the first sight neither the crossmember nor the steering box interfere with the headers or hot parts.
There is also enough room between the turbo headers and the inner fender well. Could be possible that I will have to move the radiator forward to gain enough space for the turbo and avoid contact with the puller fans.
Btw.: The kits I am talking about is the Renegade Hybrids LS1 conversion kit for the 944 and the turbo kit is the intensivelly in this forum discussed ebay single turbo kit.

Cheers
Stefan
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Hi Hennytime,

as I said I'll try and let you know. At the moment it looks promissing and even the connecting tube running from the passenger header to the drivers side header doesn't interfere with the crossemember.
Thanks for the tip with the master power t70. I will search for the price and think about it.

Cheers
Stefan
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't run that **** chinese turbo, it's a roll of the dice whether or not it's gonna take your engine out when it lets go....
Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I wouldn't run that **** chinese turbo, it's a roll of the dice whether or not it's gonna take your engine out when it lets go....
no its a certainty, the one that came with mine, the compressor contacts the housing out of the box....F.T.W.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

Ok, I think you guys changed my mind. Blown engine is much more costly than the investment in a better turbo. Same counts for the WG.

Cheers
Stefan
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur:
MP T70 and JGS 40mm WG= 825shipped
broken motor= 825+ALOTmore= expensive

That knock off stuff might work but it will fail soon or might not work at all, you will at some point replace them with better parts. You might as well use the good stuff now so you don't have to change it out later.