LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Back from Pinks All Out Sonoma!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back from Pinks All Out Sonoma!!!!

Well I'll begin by saying this.... we didn't get picked cause they ended up picking a slower field than what we had my car setup to run so now that that is out of the way i'll describe my experiences there for anyone looking to go....

Thursday night we show up with the enclosed trailer and I was lucky enough to camp with the Chris Alston Chassisworks guys and their 300,000 dollar renegade double stackers.... Incredible bunch of guys and we had pretty much the nicest pit setup of ANYBODY there. We squared off our pits using renegades to block any wind and setup a bunch of EZ Ups cause it was expected to be 100 degrees during the day on both friday and saturday. We get unloaded, and they had 2 hrs of tech on thursday night to get thru some of the cars. Got the car tech'd and believe me they were being STIFF on tech. Infineon usually is but this was especially nasty as they were looking to reduce the field. If you were running 9's you BETTER have all your crap together or you're going home. So we got thru tech thank god with no issues. Told the guy we were running around 9.60 to 9.80....

Went home and left the trailer on thursday night, drove back to Fairfield (about 30 minutes away) and showed up on Friday morning at about 10AM since we were already tech'd. I was thinking there would be alot more TV coverage on friday but you rarely see a camera at the T&T session. Started at noon and ran thru 7.... So at noon they start calling cars to the lanes by number. Seemed pretty organized and waiting in the staging lanes rarely had you out there for longer than 25-30 minutes. So first pass we get up there and we have the 150 shot in the plate, digital 7 set for 4000 RPM launch on the brake. And we had a BRAND NEW UNMOLESTED set of 28x10.5W ET Drags on the car. Set em to 10psi and was off. My crew chief told me john force em the first pass. Pull into the box and they were only running left lane because they had a small oil down in the right. So I'm running a single pass. Okay whatever. Smoked em HARD and long... Pull into the beams on the pro tree which I have never practiced before. When i did my burnout i must have pulled pretty far forward because as I rolled forward and i'm doing stuff inside the car I must have crept into the fullstage beams. After my typical gauge check and turning stuff on/off I was full staged. I look up and I see both lights on and I'm like OH ****. I floor it, lights flash and I see green. I don't panic cause I'm like who cares about RT so car gets to 4K, I let off the button and I'm out. Car pulls tires about a foot and a half and i'm motoring downtrack. Noticed I was making alot more steering corrections than i'm used to on the radials.... go thru the traps and felt like a clean pass....

Results: 9.86@137.9 60': 1.47

I get my timeslip and i'm pretty happy. lost a mph from the change to slicks but the car hooked hard and just went. No more spinning the radials off the line. So i'm pretty juiced. Until I get back to the pits and my crew chief notices a screw sticking out of the middle of my brand new slick..... and it went all the way thru. I wasn't running tubes as none of our guys in our camp do but we pulled the screw and oh yeah it's pissing air. I'm pissed but i'm like well let's fix it..... So I remember I have tubes back at my house and there is a tire shop on the infineon race track grounds.... so we talk to them, drive all the way back to my house in bumper to bumper traffic to pick up my tubes. Drive back and get back at like 4:30...... new tubed slicks on the car at about 5:00... Chief tells me "they just called your number get in the car and let's go"..... so we're rushed down to the lanes and we get there, he puts 9 psi pre-burnout in the slicks. no changes to the tune or the nitrous jetting. pull up in the water box and let em heat. another nice smokey one... I've got at reddish Nova in the right lane and me in the left. I'm determined to get this pro tree down this time. So I stage first and get right up in the beams and wait for my opponent. By the time he pre stages I have already done a gauge check, checked switches, and i've got the t-brake in and I'm just waiting to floor it when he full stages. He bumps in and I wood the pedal.... see the flash of amber and i dump it with a .127 RT (not great but WORLDS better than the 1st pass).... Car launches and heads straight for the moon. I stay in it thru first till about 7K and then grab 2nd. Car comes down off a massive wheelstand, lands pretty soft and i'm still going straight so I stay in it. grab high gear and I can't see that Nova anywhere. thru the beams and on the brakes.......

9.892@135.7 60': 1.519 back tires........

Here's a few camera shots of the pass..... 2nd column from the top there's a series of three pics..... car got some serious shttp://www.outlawphotoguy.com/galler..._UrsE5#P-11-20

So our whole team is pretty juiced. If camera guys were watching that it should have attracted some attention. So we shut it down for the night and start drinking beer, sharing stories and wrenching. Some seriously good times. We rode pit bikes around, visited old friends, and shared stories of the day.... Stuff you never usually get to do at the track usually...... Had so much fun friday night.

So we woke up saturday morning, got the drivers' brief from Rich C who was actually very funny in the briefing.... Said some stuff that made ALOT of sense. Some may think he's a d-bag but me for one is glad that he's bringing grassroots racing to a TV audience..... We would have pinks all out without his vision so i could care less what he acts like... So after the drivers brief and since we're car 219 we think we've got about 2 hrs before we run..... however they started smoking thru the field with zero breakage and zero oil downs.... So after about an hour and a half we're getting called to the lanes.... We decided to put the 175 jets into the plate to test it out..... So we get into the lanes, crew chief is calming me down, talks to me about the pro tree..... I get ready and as we get closer to the starting line I notice i'm lined up with a white Turbo TA streetcar.... The driver is an acquaintance of mine and we used to streetrace each other years ago... And I could NEVER beat hiim. He'd always be a few tenths faster or i'd break or sumthing would happen. So I'm trying not to let that get to me..... My chief knows i'm feelin it so tells me don't worry about it..... I do my burnout and try my hardest to block him out in the other lane..... I stage first, he pulls into the beams, i floor it and the lights flash and i'm out. Car pulls the wheels nice about a few feet and i'm haulin the mail.....

Car runs 9.82@139.8, 1.46 60'

.......and the guy I was running broke and oiled the track down..... oh well... Feels good on the return road but it stalled cause of where I had idle speed set when the coolant is like 220!!!! It was HOT by this time and the return road is crazy long. We let the car cool down and had about two and a half hours before having to run again. Next pass is the arm drop with no timeslip.... We checked the datalogger in between runs after my chief told me he heard the car stutter for a split second. Sure enough the car went pig rich then lean for like a millisecond and was swinging the fueling back and forth until it found a good mixture and went..... but in that time it lost some momentum when it stuttered.... So we went back to the 150 shot in the plate, gave some more timing pulling 8 degrees versus 10. Then I set the Power adder ramp retard with some additional timing so the car would leave on 14 degrees of timing instead of the 12 we had been at. I'm basically wanting the car to leave NASTY on the arm drop pass.....

So at about 3:30 ish in the 95 degree heat we're back in the lanes waiting for our second pass. Lanes went really quickly as Rich doesn't mess around when it comes to getting cars downtrack if they don't break... this time I'm running against this crazy single seat, center drive, old school front engine dragster deal.... Looks like a bronze egg with a bunch of tubes going out to the front tires with some wrinkle wall recaps for slicks..... Kinda pissed me off cause the thing looks so crazy that all eyes were on it when i'm getting ready to pound on that thing..... I do my burnout and once again block that guy out. As far as I was concerned it was just me and Rich out there..... I again do my nice burnout followed by a quick trip into the beams to get setup for my opponent. Courtesy staging my *** I get in there and i'm staring at the tree and rich for his signature arm drop, as soon as he points at me I wood the throttle, he comes up I see his arms begin to drop and i'm gone. Car proceeds to yank the wheels nice, then the nitrous comes on and car is planted hard! Back tires drive thru the fronts and car is going vertical. I silently pray that i'm going straight, I see the shift light come on in first at 7600 and the front of the car is still WAY up there. I shift to second and for about a half a second it's still up but I can feel it starting to lose vertical momentum. Car comes down and I hear the SYA bar on my side hit the ground but it didn't sound TOO nasty. I'm in second and still have it to the floor. Shift light on, pull third. Still can't see that bronze egg i'm racing...... Blow thru the traps haulin *** and I can't make the return road they want me to make so i take the last one, flip a u-turn and come back...... I am coming down the return road and people are STARING at the car like WTF was that..... All the ppl in my pits are psyched..... They said the crowd went absolutely wild for the wheelstand and said it was about 120 feet long bumper dragger.... Talked to strangers later in the pits and they told me that it was the best wheelie of the day.....
Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

So like I said they picked a slower class but we'll hopefully get an LT1 on the Pinks All out show. It shows thanksgiving weekend. And if you ever get the chance to go to Pinks All Out to race DO IT. You will have a blast whether you get picked or not...... I had so much fun I can't get the smile off my face. We didn't hurt nothing (besides an SYA bar) and we drug the bumper in front of 15,000 ppl..... Not to mention I had two little kids come up to me wanting me to autograph their Pinks All Out shirts..... That in itself is worth it anyday in my opinion........I'll have some videos up on youtube of the wheelie and stuff later....
Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty good writeup. Enjoyed reading it.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice story, had almost as much fun reading it as you did writing/doing it

And I hope you signed the nice kids shirts
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!! Too bad you didnt get picked, but glad you had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should write books, jeeze lol
Old 09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

sounds like it was a good time

The car looks good in the launch pic.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GREAT Freaking job man! You are hauling ***!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found the car, but you linked me to a mustang, lol. Get those vids up!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Teching In

i saw your last run with the armdrop outlawz, i was so pumped up from your wheelie, as it was the best of any car i saw. i just said to my friends thats the one i said was gonna be here (all ford lovers). good job bro!!!!!!! i was a little disappointed how the very last race went down though :/
Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

good story man! thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Found the car, but you linked me to a mustang, lol. Get those vids up!!!!
You're on the right page but my pictures are in the second row on that page. A mustang will come up default but go to the second row and it's the first three pics are the series of launch photos from Fridays T&T session....

but who cares about that anymore. cause ask and you shall recieve. The sickest wheelstand of Pinks All Out Sonoma has arrived... LT1 POWA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkmj1TGZzs
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hah Amazing, Outlaw!

BTW you need to get your title changed to "Single Digit Club"
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

sweet job man !! congrats!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyuuummmm!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice wheelstand now that I can finally see it, must have been quite the ride
Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice write up, sounds like fun!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pfft... I thought you said that thing was fast
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

heheheheh yeah i think it'll be alot faster when we start concentrating on moving OUT instead of UP......

but i'll tell you what nothing gets the crowd going like a 150 foot hanger.....they were freakin out....
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the vid! Good job Jason! That is one of the best LT1 wheelstands I have ever seen! You have the car hooking!

Quick Reply: Back from Pinks All Out Sonoma!!!!