LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhaust Voiding My Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Voiding My Warranty

OK so i bought my GXP about 2 weeks ago. Love it.
When i bought it only one of the key fobs was working so i thought i'd go to the dealer and have 'em program my other one....No problem.
I wanna start modding this thing so i asked him what were the exhaust limitations on voiding the warranty and he said...
"You can do anything after the cat. Before the cat you can't touch"
Soooo obviously i plan on putting a Hogan down pipe on my car. And i probably plan on getting rid of the cat as well.

Am i SOL with my warranty?
or more so lets say i had a tranny problem...does that mean they won't touch my trans because i have a down pipe and no cat?

Any help or personal experiences would be great... thanks guys
Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Seriously?

Again....

We have to answer this question again???

You're fine B4 and after the cat. The only way they can deny you warranty work is if they can prove a certain "mod" is directly responsible for another part's failure. Not really possible for a catless DP to screw up a tranny. Good luck and welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Sorry, I'm a little bitchy this morning.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Teching In

haha no it's cool sorry for being such a noob
looks like i'll be choppin' that exhaust up asap
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand why anyone thinks removing the cat is a good idea.... Do you really need that .01 second speed increase, risk failing emmissions tests, throw codes, want foul smelling exhaust and raspy sound that badly to warrant it?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I think in every forum, that statute gets brought up. the dealers can easily say that by removing the catalytic converter, engine horsepower increased thus breaking the said divetrain part, or removing the catalytics caused emission codes to cause a glitch in the transmission electronics thus breaking the transmission. can the dealers prove it, probably not, but i guarantee you they will fight it and will prbably take months and some legal costs before a decission is made in your favor or theirs. in the mean time, your car will sit with a broken transmission. Aren't these transmissions expensive as compared to other gm transmissions?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome, Mr. Pessimist.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

If you do want to replace the DP with a catless or high flow, there is a very good chance your car will throw a code for catalyst inefficiency. You'll need a tuner to remove the code. Just an FYI.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I noticed that no mentioned the federal illegality with tampering with the emissions.....hehe
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Teching In

If they void your warranty, go to the service advisors home and drive your car through his living room.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Teching In

welll then uhhmmm maybe i'll rethink this whole cat removal and just get the catless hogan and use the stock cat
i dont know how restrictive they are compared to a high flow cat but i'm sure it should hold me over for a while
Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

No emissions here. Rid yourself of that damned cat!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

removing the cat will throw a code, which will need to be tunned out and as soon as you start tunning your computer you will be voidig the warrenty on your engine and trans since now the dealership can say you caused the problem by playing around with your computer.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128
Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

This type of bulletin has been around for a few years, but has been sent out more and more recently.

xTooltipElement
Service Information 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 4WD | Envoy, TrailBlazer, Ascender (VIN S/T) Service Manual | Document ID: 2182477
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-06-04-033B: Identifying Aftermarket Engine and Transmission Calibrations Gas Powered Engines Only and Automatic Transmissions - (Aug 26, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine and Transmission Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only and 6T40/45 (MH8), 6T70/75 (MH2, MH4, MH6, MY9), 6L50 (MYB) 6L80 (MYC) or 6L90 (MYD) Automatic Transmission

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

EXCLUDING Pontiac Vibe, Wave, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to remove the Pontiac G8 from the list of excluded vehicles. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):
Go to TIS2WEB
Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
Enter VIN
Select "Get Cal ID"
Select "ECM Engine Control Module" or "TCM Transmission Control Module"
Select "Next"
Select "Complete History"
Print
Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
Plug in the Tech 2®
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
Select "Powertrain"
Select "Engine"
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM" or "TCM"
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.
* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM or TCM (CVN's on the Tech 2® do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVNs that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R.BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVNs are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Additionally, if you have an aftermarket tune installed and you reinstall the stock tune to take it in for service can't they still tell that there had been a tune in there even though you're back to stock now?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Additionally, if you have an aftermarket tune installed and you reinstall the stock tune to take it in for service can't they still tell that there had been a tune in there even though you're back to stock now?
That depends on what you use to flash it....
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Vector's tune is completely stealth...that's what I'll be doing. I tried the U7191 and it's just not the right fit for me.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
I don't understand why anyone thinks removing the cat is a good idea.... Do you really need that .01 second speed increase, risk failing emmissions tests, throw codes, want foul smelling exhaust and raspy sound that badly to warrant it?
+1
Modern cats aren't very restrictive.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Strange, with the stock downpipe the best I showed on the G force meter was .72 on accel. After the hogan DP it's now at .76 and there is a definite SOTP difference in pull. I still have yet to have it tuned, too.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red03GT
Strange, with the stock downpipe the best I showed on the G force meter was .72 on accel. After the hogan DP it's now at .76 and there is a definite SOTP difference in pull. I still have yet to have it tuned, too.
You may have just hooked up better to get .76 gs. i've hit .75 stock. You have to take into account a lot of things and our g meter is not a good tool to judge how much performance you gained from a mod.