Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS HELP!!! Excessive oil/pressure thru PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation STS HELP!!! Excessive oil/pressure thru PCV system

Vehicle ran fine with kit for 6000 miles. Then vehicle sat for a month. Upon driving it I kept blowing the hose off at PCV or blowing the dipstick out. So I tested the 1psi switch and the STS PCV 3 port valve that vents to open air under boost and closes under normal driving. All checked out ok. So I found the regular pcv valve that is aftermarket slips in and out of hose easily so I put a hose clamp on it. But I noticed excessive oil once the pcv hose blew off there was what I think alot of oil. So I tightented it all up took it for a spin and I can tell the PCV valve for the STS is working because where the filter on the valve is oil is soaked in and dripping. and also oil dripping from the standard PCV valve.

What would cause so much oil through the system. The line for the standard pcv and the STS valve all come off the top of the valve covers. Im having a real hard time with this as Im moving in a few days and need the vehicle. Runs fine under normal driving but any boost blows hoses and shoots oil??

Need help pronto!!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id say you lost a ring land and am getting excessive boost in the crankcase. hopefully its something simple but id do a leakdown and rule out or in something major.

do a leakdown and find out the status of your motor. if its good start looking into the simple stuff. if its bad you have your answer. it takes about a hour and half to do a leakdown yourself and is a important test especially when boosted. otherwise your liable just to chase your tail and throw money at stupid things and never get it right while your spraying oil on everything under the hood.

just my 2 cents
Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well definately spraying oil everywhere and it sucks. Would I have had any sign of a ringland going? Motor runs strong, no noises, idles well, even with hood open and revving throttle from under hood no noises motor has always run solid 7-8pnds boost in a 31k mile car.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

happened the moment after I let it sit for a month. No other symptoms or problems.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the pcv and run a vented catch can. I know from past dealings with that little noid that when it goes bad it will blow a fuse for your oil pump. Also pull out the dip stick and see if you have alot of smoke coming out and place your thumb on it while the car is running and if you feel sucking then it may be a ringland. I know when I pop a ringland I did these steps and it was true it smoke when I reved the motor and I had a bad miss, then when I check the plugs number 8 was full of oil.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im not trying to get you down it was my personal experience though with a procharger. ran fine until i brought it out of storage and then the dipstick started shooting out. i did a leakdown and number 7 came in at 35 %. which is terrible. i could open the the oil cap and feel the compressed air race out.

all we have here is opinions to give you, if you test things on your car in the right order and with the right tools you wont be wondering whats going on youll find out and know.
and then you'll either be relieved or pissed, but your not just trying different things and wondering?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

^ werd!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipvegas
Vehicle ran fine with kit for 6000 miles. Then vehicle sat for a month. Upon driving it I kept blowing the hose off at PCV or blowing the dipstick out. So I tested the 1psi switch and the STS PCV 3 port valve that vents to open air under boost and closes under normal driving. All checked out ok. So I found the regular pcv valve that is aftermarket slips in and out of hose easily so I put a hose clamp on it. But I noticed excessive oil once the pcv hose blew off there was what I think alot of oil. So I tightented it all up took it for a spin and I can tell the PCV valve for the STS is working because where the filter on the valve is oil is soaked in and dripping. and also oil dripping from the standard PCV valve.

What would cause so much oil through the system. The line for the standard pcv and the STS valve all come off the top of the valve covers. Im having a real hard time with this as Im moving in a few days and need the vehicle. Runs fine under normal driving but any boost blows hoses and shoots oil??

Need help pronto!!
Failure of the STS PCV cutoff switch is very common. Even if you think it's good, double-check it again.

The permanent fix is to run a vented catch can and ditch the PCV cutoff. Run the 2x main PCV vents from both passenger and driver side valve covers (after the y-block by the rear of the intake) to a vented catchcan and then to the PCV. Cap off the front vent line from the passenger side valve cover to the top of the throttle body.

The vent will let boost pressure escape and the catchcan will capture oil residue, keeping it from entering the intake.

If in doubt of the engine, run a compression test. It'll be obvious if theres a problem w/ a ring or piston......as it's compression values will be WAY LOWER than the other cylinders.

All are easy checks/fixes. Good luck

Quick Reply: STS HELP!!! Excessive oil/pressure thru PCV system