Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

started my fox body swap today

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default started my fox body swap today

well today i started my 3rd swap. a 91 mustang gt. with an 01 ls1. i installed the aje k-member and went to bolt on my mounts to drop in the motor only to find they sent me sbc mounts instead of ls1 mounts. so already stuff is going wrong.

and has anyone ever found an easy way to install the front springs? i only found one type of spring compressor that woud work and i had to take it apart to get it out. the ford setup is stupid i think. the springs are so long you cant just jack up the control arms it sucked.

but at least that part is done and while i wait for the new mounts i will put the cage in (i hope thats not hard?)
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
well today i started my 3rd swap. a 91 mustang gt. with an 01 ls1. i installed the aje k-member and went to bolt on my mounts to drop in the motor only to find they sent me sbc mounts instead of ls1 mounts. so already stuff is going wrong.

and has anyone ever found an easy way to install the front springs? i only found one type of spring compressor that woud work and i had to take it apart to get it out. the ford setup is stupid i think. the springs are so long you cant just jack up the control arms it sucked.

but at least that part is done and while i wait for the new mounts i will put the cage in (i hope thats not hard?)
What were your other swaps?

Should be a fun car when you are finished
Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us informed on the swap I am planning the same swap in my 96GT should be a wicked ride when your done though
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leonpiper69

AJE told me the sbc mounts and the LS1 mounts were the same. You just use a different set of holes or something like that.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Correct..the mounts are the same for the standard SBC and LSx, you just flip the mounts..
Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i talked to them today. the holes are drilled worng but he told me how weird it was that the holes in my block were diff?

i just had to elongate the holes for the third hole, i was just worried the mounts were diff betwween sbc and ls1 and would put the motor in a diff position, that swhy i wnated to make sure they were the same.

and im not pissed, these are custom parts, and some will be a little off. at least i didnt have to figure out the layout for them to fit right. i will post a pic when i get some batteries for my camera (i let my wife take the charger to iraq for her camera batteries and i just have to get another).

all in all i like the stuff from aje.

and my first swap was in a 68 camaro ands then me and a friend did his 98 sanoma with a 5.3 out of a 01 tahoe.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

the best way i've found to do the springs is this: completely unbolt the a-arm, then use two of the bigger floor jacks. put them under each side of the a-arm, set the spring on there, then slowly start jacking up the a-arm from each side. the floor jacks are positioned where one is under the ball joint and one is under where the a-arm bolts to the car. it's a little tricky, but it's the best way i've found to do it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

that sounds scary dude. i alreasy had one spring go flying out under low presure when i was taking them apart, i would hate to try that compressing them.

i got em in, it just sucked and luckily i had two types of compressors to try and when i said i had to take it aprt to get the compressor out i meant i had to take the actual spring compressor apart to remove it form the spring once installed. i just figure there has to be a safe and somewhat easier way to do it (or maybe there is a ford only tool for doing it). now i know why guys are doing coil overs.

but when i got home form school tonight i wasnt too tired so i fired up my new welder (im still learning how to mig weld, i like tig better but i couldnt afford one) i have no idea where to set the gas prsure and my regulater is in ltr per hour, but i got the main hoop, in bent the rear bars so i can keep the back seat and welded in the rear bars.

my first couple of welds didnt look so good but im starting to get this mig thing down, if anyone has any tips i'de appreciate them.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Teching In

what was so bad with your welds? was there a lot of spatter? make sure the tip is clean and you have enough oxy.i find mig is the easiest to do, but every one has their preferences. good luck on the build by the way, its gonna be sick!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hibs
the best way i've found to do the springs is this: completely unbolt the a-arm, then use two of the bigger floor jacks. put them under each side of the a-arm, set the spring on there, then slowly start jacking up the a-arm from each side. the floor jacks are positioned where one is under the ball joint and one is under where the a-arm bolts to the car. it's a little tricky, but it's the best way i've found to do it.
that sounds scary dude. i alreasy had one spring go flying out under low presure when i was taking them apart, i would hate to try that compressing them.
I have done it this way on about 20+ mustangs and never even had one come close to flying out. (you can simply wrap a chain around the spring and the a-arm and that will prevent the spring from launching at you) But it is impossible to do it this way without the motor in the car.

Last edited by GlennNo50; 09-16-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Ya, i've done it quite a few times, and yes it does start to compress SOME, but not to the point where it's dangerous if it popped out.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

well day three went better. the motor is in. it was abit of a pian doing alone (everyone always is busy when you want to drop a motor in).
[IMG]//https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=147730&d=1221614308[/IMG]

and i only had to drill out 2 holes on each motor mount, but still ot too bad they were only off a hair. but one out of the three lined up perfect.

and yeah i did the springs with the motor out and up in the air on my lift.
Attached Thumbnails started my fox body swap today-holes.jpg   started my fox body swap today-motor.jpg  
Old 09-17-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put a jackstand under the rocker panel.
I use a small cheapo pep boys jack for manueverability. Put the jack centered on the rear of the a-arm. Once the bolts are removed just lower the jack slowly. Put them in the same way. It takes me less than 15 minutes each side to change springs. Otherwise, spend the $150 and buy a set of coil-overs.

Also, swap the mounts from left to right and they will work fine. that's what I did and they fit
Old 09-17-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Also, swap the mounts from left to right and they will work fine. that's what I did and they fit[/QUOTE]

actually as you can see in the pics the holes were drilled too close together. the holes in the block are the same distance apart regardless of what side of the engine your on.

see how the hole had to be elongated a little
Attached Thumbnails started my fox body swap today-new-hole.jpg  

Last edited by leonpiper69; 09-17-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

anyone have the pinout for the gauge lcuster in the stock 91 mustang gt gauges? i have the pinout for the ls1 gauges but not for the mustang.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

only had a couple ours after work to play, but i got my crossmember fabbed. its not very pretty but it will work and its right about were the height of the factory one was and theres room for the exhaust. the pass header fit light a glove but i have to chop up the driver to clear the stearing shaft.

Attached Thumbnails started my fox body swap today-pass-header.jpg   started my fox body swap today-pass-header-clearnc.jpg   started my fox body swap today-crsmembr.jpg   started my fox body swap today-crsmember2.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should really make a new crossmember. that thing is junk. other than that looks good
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Launching!

What did you use for headers? modified BBKs?
Any pics of the drivers side?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

yeah bbk headers i just cut the flsnges off and put on gm flanges (make sure you buy 2 they come ea.) you also have to make the rectangle end of the primamaries round.

i dont have any pics of the driver side yet. it bolts on and the rack area clears the header but the steering shaft will hit the number 7 and number 5 tubes. so tomoorow when i get out of school im going to get some j bends and see if i can make the header tube i need.

and that crossmember is plenty strong. i weigh 270 and with the weight of the trans on the crossmember i pulled on it with my feet off the ground and it didnt budge (and i havent finished welding it completely). it may look a little ugly but it was what i had laying around and this car is a beater with a good motor so i dont really care too much what it looks like just function over form i guess.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leon...your build thread lasted less than a week.

Did you abandon the thread or the build?

Tipsy

Quick Reply: started my fox body swap today