LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Paint Issue

Hey everybody, I washed my car today and i noticed my clear coat is flaking away around the rear windshield on the passenger side. I was wondering if there are any quick fixes, or if not, would this be covered under my warranty?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under warrenty if your under 36K miles, otherwise its your problem.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only reason clear would be flaking on a 07 car is the 1/4 was repainted bottom line
if you bought it used its your problem, thats why some shops pull glass and remove everything off the car so this doesnt happen, like the shop i work for we do that
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car was repaired by a bodyshop more then likley they have a warranty on the work they did. Might be worth finding them :X
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

all gm cars at least from 07 and up have a 6 years 60,000 mile rust warrenty, not sure if that covers paint or just rust
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

We have a 72/100k rust warranty, at least I do. Hope the sheet metal starts rusting before you hit that? Doubt they'll cover paint chips though under that.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car has 23K on it, so it is still under the original warranty, plus i have a 40K warranty on top of that, it was a dollar a month so i went with it. Anyway the car has been in Florida all its life, and came up to Michigan in April of this year. It was owned by a Corporation and used as a loaner car for business visitors.

It had 17K when i bought it in June of this year. Carfax report was clean, and only showed the one owner. So i am calling my local dealer tomorrow so they can take a look at it on my lunch hour.

It started to flake away this weekend, no scratches etc around the area what so ever. When i bought the car there was a bad spot of paint on the drivers door which the dealer fixed by repainting the door. He said that there was some kind of solvent underneath the paint that made it look bad. So maybe this is related to that.

I just hope i don't have to pay for it. If I do is there any quick and easy way to touch up an area of your clear coat with out wet sanding or repainting the area??? Just wondering....My father keeps telling me to use Clear Nail Polish...Sounds like an old wives tail to me...Just wondering, this is my first new car, and only the second one I have owned in my life, so I dont know any paint/body tricks yet.

Thanks guys
Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Launching!

I had this problem on one of my Jeeps, paint was flaking away around the edge of the door. Dealer repainted it under warranty, I hated the fact that my 8k mile Jeep needed a repaint on the door, but **** happens I guess.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is chipping all over the hood. The clear coat went, and then the paint, and now it's showing primer. Pretty pissed, but the dealership refuses to cover it since it was a used car.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
Mine is chipping all over the hood. The clear coat went, and then the paint, and now it's showing primer. Pretty pissed, but the dealership refuses to cover it since it was a used car.
GM Warranties transfer with the car. They're not like crappy Dodge warranties where only the first owner gets them. If your car is under its age / mileage cap the dealer has to cover it.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Your cars is under Warranty they will repaint the car. Don't back down on this issue
or your dealer will take advantage of you on other issues.The dealer her in the New Orleans area I use are awesome no matter the request no problem.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I called the dealership, service department manager said that if the car hasn't been damaged or repainted under the factory warranty yet then it will be covered 100%.

So I know what I am doing on my lunch hour....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Get r done
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the dealership said that the car has been damaged and repainted at some point in its history. I told them the carfax report was clean. So they ran another one and it too is clean.

So now I was directed to call the dealership i bought it from and talk to them about what is going on. The body shop manager said the warranty will not cover the repaint because it was repaired somewhere else already.

Not sure what to do but I will be calling Sundance Chevrolet tonight when I get home!!!

So much for a good first car buying experience....
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I hate to hear that. I was thinking they would make good on it
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well just becasue the car was repainted doesnt mean it was in a accident, it could have been a small dent could have been a scratch, who knows
and no nail polish does not work sorry
Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your just wanting to cover it up you can buy clearcloat in a spray can. Tape off the area and put 2 or 3 layers of clear on it untill you can deal with it.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thanks Sint3k that is what i am going to end up doing. Any recommended brand or procedure??

Never painted or cleared a car before....
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Yeah thanks Sint3k that is what i am going to end up doing. Any recommended brand or procedure??

Never painted or cleared a car before....
Well it just takes practice but if your not wanting to repaint it then i would just clean it up as much as possible outline the area with tape cover the rest of the car to make sure theres no spray that gets anywhere.
The hardest part about painting is the preperation. When your ready get some dupont clear coat paint from autozone or something and hold the can about a 6 inchs from the area your going to be painting and spray a thin layer wait 15-20 minutes spray another layer wait 15-20 minutes and do 1 more layer . I repainted my mothers Yellow S-10 hood and you can't tell i was done by can. I just sanded it down , put a base coat on put 4 layers of the yellow let it completly dry then i applyed a good covering of clear let it sit for 25 min and applyed it again waited again and applyed it 1 last time
Also make sure you follow the instructions on the can they are never wrong!
If it says hold the can a certain distance away make sure you do so. Theres diffrent things that can happen. If your to far away the paint will dry in mid air and hit the surface causing dirt like spots. If your to close you'll get runs and drips or uneven coverage. Also go to your local body shop and have a estimate done its probably not going to be as much as you think or have your insurance fix it. Just because you werent in a accident dosn't mean you can't file a claim.