LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

paying the price

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question paying the price

this weekend I raced a 03 GT in my 94' formula,but now my cars idle is flux-u-aiding(sorry for the spelling). Don't know if I fried my plugs or something more serious.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

But Did You Win?????
Old 09-22-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

cpould be a burnt up wire. coulda damaged a plug like you said. im not sure if an opti would do that. fuel pump ? could be alotta things. check the physical layer first however. check all your wires at night with the car running to see if there bad. if there old might aswell replace them and then pull your plugs. NGK TR55 ! did you win ???
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would check plugs and simple ****... did you win that is most important
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, check plugs/wires first... That would be the easiest....

Then Fuel pressure/coil/ICM.... Then last but not least.... Opti!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

odds are again its not the opti...really again if its the opti wont even run 9 times out of 10...it will crank and crank and crank but not run...good way to check it though is if you dont have any spark or it is irradic coming from the plugs

check your fuel pressure it should stay at least 40 lbs at least, it can go higher but not higher than 60 if its a stock pump...

odds are its not your icm becuase again 9 times out of 10 its not going to run...

could be your coil yes..check to see if your spark is irradic(spelling) it shoud have a tick on every crank(crank tick, crank tick,crank tick) not crank, crank tick, crank tick, crank, crank, crank) thats bad coil.

if your plugs are fouled they will have kinda gooie black suet on them and smell like fuel...bad plugss...get ac delco platinum( make sure you specify your year of lt1) if you dont have them already

if your wires are bad then the spark will also be irradic or none at all....

to check your opti get a new wire and then take it back or something and a new plug and hook the wire to your opti from cylinder one and then the plug to the wire and crank your motor over...if no or irradic spark then opti most likely is bad or could be icm..

to check if your wires are going bad put a new plug on the end of your current wire and see if its sparking on the crank...

let us know what happens bro
Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha oh yea did you win?? lol
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jarretthise
odds are again its not the opti...really again if its the opti wont even run 9 times out of 10...
How could it not be his opti? Mine ran fine for 5 months before it finally spit a code.

If his optical signals are getting weak, this is exactly what would happen. The car might run like crap, might only be a little bad so it might not be noticeable right away. I simply say check coil/ICM/plugs/wires since they can be checked very simply. The opti gets a little more involved.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
How could it not be his opti? Mine ran fine for 5 months before it finally spit a code.

If his optical signals are getting weak, this is exactly what would happen. The car might run like crap, might only be a little bad so it might not be noticeable right away. I simply say check coil/ICM/plugs/wires since they can be checked very simply. The opti gets a little more involved.

ok true true here, but also if spark is irradic with brand new plugs and brand new wires odds are high that its the opti...when it completely stops working it will then have no spark on new plugs and wires...but you can check to make sure your opti is good by doing that test...

new plug and wire, keep it like near the intake or something and crank it...if the spark is irradic then odds are next to most its your opti...but i really dont think it is, could be but hey...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

True, check that cheap stuff first though... Not good to be throwing parts by any means...

I am going to say that more info would be very helpful... So to the OP... Write us a book if you need to, but describe EVERYTHING it does
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
True, check that cheap stuff first though... Not good to be throwing parts by any means...

I am going to say that more info would be very helpful... So to the OP... Write us a book if you need to, but describe EVERYTHING it does
LOL, AND WHEN HE SAYS A BOOK HE MEANS A BOOK!!!! HAHA.....jk man but seriously we do need some more details
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh another thing how old is your opti?? if its newer did you happen to crank the car beofre you put it in...that will take the car off of tdc and allow it to have kinda a surge or a hesitation really need to pull number 1 plug and make sure its tdc
Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes I did win by a long shot. very long. My opti is new and so is my coil, I guess it would have to be my plugs. Hopefully thats all it is. By the way, I ran him from 80 til' he gave up with a messed up tranny. He even said that I sprayed him. My car is completely stock except for the free mods, k&n air filter,and (I mean just the filter),and straight pipe. He was also with is girlfriend. LMAO
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
yes I did win by a long shot. very long. My opti is new and so is my coil, I guess it would have to be my plugs. Hopefully thats all it is. By the way, I ran him from 80 til' he gave up with a messed up tranny. He even said that I sprayed him. My car is completely stock except for the free mods, k&n air filter,and (I mean just the filter),and straight pipe. He was also with is girlfriend. LMAO
nice bro very nice!! lol..goes to show the hunk-o-junk mustang cant compete no matter what year it is...lol.. so all of you mustang owners if you want to race with us big dogs and try and beat is your gonna have to keep crammin OUR motors on those holes..lol...i dont condone cross-breeding, but you mustang dudes need it..lmao
Old 09-23-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
Unless they're modded, the Stang sadly is no competition for us. I was beating them (newer too) in my 91 350 TPI -_- They'll say anything too, just to make it sound like they aren't as slow as just made seem.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

congrats on the win! bummer on the rest :\ hope you figure it out

Quick Reply: paying the price