Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Sweet Muscle Cars in HDR

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet Muscle Cars in HDR

I went out and bought a new HDR Program called Dynamic-Photo

It has a lot more features than the Photomatix one that I used before. I think the quality of the pictures come out better. What do you think???

My personal favorite -

Last edited by Bad Cop No Donut; 09-28-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do you HDR cars in motion? Or are you simply throwing a single shot into the tone mapper? Which would not be HDR.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by newton
How do you HDR cars in motion? Or are you simply throwing a single shot into the tone mapper? Which would not be HDR.
I take a single image shot in RAW. I adjust exposure levels w/ PS. Then I take the 5-6 different exposed images and run DP-HDR and go from there. The still images I just shoot in RAW at different exposure settings on the camera and make life easy with no ore-editing before hand.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st stang= rice.

love that 2nd stang though
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

great looking pictures
Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad Cop No Donut
I take a single image shot in RAW. I adjust exposure levels w/ PS. Then I take the 5-6 different exposed images and run DP-HDR and go from there. The still images I just shoot in RAW at different exposure settings on the camera and make life easy with no ore-editing before hand.
Yeah, the stills are real HDR. Taking a single RAW file and adjusting levels to create different frames isn't the real deal.

Not hating or anything, it's just that the term HDR is really being tossed around when half the people here aren't even doing it correctly. Ticks me off a bit.

Great shots though.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Teching In

The still image of the red and gold 2005 mustang was done correctly

I took 5 different images to make that one.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Teching In

added more
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
1st stang= rice.

love that 2nd stang though
How is it rice?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

I like the first stang but a different color would be nice
Old 09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

HDR is getting hyped way too much. All of these shots look more like CGI than anything else. A lot of noise is showing up as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, you should take some of the images and run them through Photomatix AND Dynamic-Photo. Then post them side by side. I'd love to see a comparison like that.

Yeah, the stills are real HDR. Taking a single RAW file and adjusting levels to create different frames isn't the real deal.

Not hating or anything, it's just that the term HDR is really being tossed around when half the people here aren't even doing it correctly. Ticks me off a bit.

Great shots though.
I just wanted to chime in here. Being a photog for a couple decades and using HDR for a while now, I have knowledge on the subject. There are 2 methods to create a true HDR. Using a RAW and making 2 EV variations versus using 3 JPG's with the same EV variations is the same deal. It's still a TRUE HDR.

As you stated (This also pisses me off): A lot of people take one single JPG and Tone Map it in Photoshop and call it an HDR. That's incorrect. That is only a Tone Mapped image.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I just wanted to chime in here. Being a photog for a couple decades and using HDR for a while now, I have knowledge on the subject. There are 2 methods to create a true HDR. Using a RAW and making 2 EV variations versus using 3 JPG's with the same EV variations is the same deal. It's still a TRUE HDR.

As you stated (This also pisses me off): A lot of people take one single JPG and Tone Map it in Photoshop and call it an HDR. That's incorrect. That is only a Tone Mapped image.
Thank you so much.

I guess the thing that ticks us off is that many photographers spend the time to learn and process a neat image while many other people here could care less about what's involved in photography and simply want badass shots of their cars. Whereas real HDR takes a little more time and effort, they're people out there taking their point and shoot cameras and throwing whatever image into the Tone Mapper and calling them HDR shots.

I guess I'm feeling selfish, but whatever.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
How is it rice?
the body kit, the huge chrome rims, the weird hood, the weird lighting position...i'm not a fan of the yellow stripes; black would be cooler for me but w/e

rice is subjective, so my opinion is :
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you so much.

I guess the thing that ticks us off is that many photographers spend the time to learn and process a neat image while many other people here could care less about what's involved in photography and simply want badass shots of their cars. Whereas real HDR takes a little more time and effort, they're people out there taking their point and shoot cameras and throwing whatever image into the Tone Mapper and calling them HDR shots.

I guess I'm feeling selfish, but whatever.
Completely agreed. I love my Nikon DSLR and my Canon SLR. Oh, it's great to see people who call themselves professional's using P&S camera's. How's that work? I understand that it's not the camera that makes the photographer, but if you want to call yourself a pro, you better be using an SLR, DSLR, or some type of Leica, Hasselblad, etc. Just my opinion.

I do admit, I've taken some killer shots with the 35mm disposable camera's that I used to carry in my bunker gear (fire gear). But, that's more of being in the right place at the right time.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm slowly learning to make HDR pictures, but I haven't found good enough subjects to really try either. Need to get out and around.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Teching In

just for the record, these are not just point and shoot images.

I'm using a canon 40D and shooting in RAW.

No where did I say I was a pro, I'm learning and wanted to post up some of my work. constructive criticism is fine, but bashing is just plain ignorant
Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Not bashing. Just a question. Why HDR? I see so much of this lately and just want to know what's so cool about it?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No where did I say I was a pro, I'm learning and wanted to post up some of my work. constructive criticism is fine, but bashing is just plain ignorant
Hey man. The talk from Newtown and I wasn't related to you using a P&S or anything, 'cause as you said you're using a DSLR. We know YOU did it correct with shooting in RAW format. No bashing whatsoever. We were just discussing how there are quite a few people (here as well as other boards) who use P&S camera's. They take 1 JPG and Tone Map it and say it's an HDR. Again, nothing related to you. You do good work
Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

i got the same camera, define raw....

Quick Reply: Sweet Muscle Cars in HDR