Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What are your thoughts on the CME?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are your thoughts on the CME?

Moderators/Administrators: Please do not move to external section, Im intending this thread for look purposes. Thanks

I really like the way it looks and I think it would be a nice change for my car. At one point in time, I wanted to change the tips, but I havent come across anything that I like. I really didnt pay much attention to the CME until now. I really like it and thought about putting it on my car.

1. Do you know if the CME tips are compatible with the LM exhaust?
2. If so, what has to be done to make it work and fit properly?
3. Is the CME and exhaust system or just for looks tips/plumbing?
4. If so, can you just buy the plumbing/tips to go on the LM?
5. I would also need the piece that mounts under the bumper. Whats that called?
6. Its an SLP option, do you know if they have a kit that you can buy?
7. Do you think this would be a good idea?
I really like how it mounts in the center and how well it flows. (looks wise)
8. How much weight will be added or how much the entire kit weighs if a kit exists?
9. Do you know if it affects the flow any?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What are your thoughts on the CME?

Since no one has tried to answer, I'll give it a go. I used caps.

Moderators/Administrators: Please do not move to external section, Im intending this thread for look purposes. Thanks

I really like the way it looks and I think it would be a nice change for my car. At one point in time, I wanted to change the tips, but I havent come across anything that I like. I really didnt pay much attention to the CME until now. I really like it and thought about putting it on my car.

1. Do you know if the CME tips are compatible with the LM exhaust? YES

2. If so, what has to be done to make it work and fit properly? NOTHING THAT I AM AWARE OF, BOLTS RIGHT UP.

3. Is the CME and exhaust system or just for looks tips/plumbing? DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS ONE.

4. If so, can you just buy the plumbing/tips to go on the LM? YOU CAN BUY REPLACEMENT PARTS THRU SLP.

5. I would also need the piece that mounts under the bumper. Whats that called? THE REAR FASCIA. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE BUT IF YOU HAVE A DUAL-DUAL OR LM, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY THE FASCIA, THE ELBOWS AND THE TIPS.

6. Its an SLP option, do you know if they have a kit that you can buy? YOU CAN BUY THE WHOLE SYSTEM OR REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM SLP.

7. Do you think this would be a good idea?
I really like how it mounts in the center and how well it flows. (looks wise) YES. MANY PEOPLE WITH THE CME HAVE CHANGED OUT THE SYSTEM TO A LM AND KEPT THE CME TIPS/FASCIA.

8. How much weight will be added or how much the entire kit weighs if a kit exists? IT WILL ADD SOME WEIGHT (MINOR) BUT YOU LOSE A FEW GOING TO THE LM SINCE IT HAS NO MUFFLER - THAT DAMN MUFFLER IS HEAVY.

9. Do you know if it affects the flow any? FLOW SHOULDN'T BE AFFECTED AT ALL SINCE IT IS BASICALLY JUST REROUTING THE ACTUAL TIPS, NOT A MAJOR SECTION OF THE EXHAUST.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:41 PM
dug
Banned

I originally thought cme was a joke until I saw it in person. It was on a 2002 ss with h/c, hooker headers, and ory. Lookd and sounded amazing. That has to be the best exhaust for a camaro as far as looks and sound.

Anyway, I did a search about CME and supposedly slp isnt selling the 2002 version. They have a different cme they sell with 4 center tips. The rear fascia for this one looks kinda ricey and tacked on. The 2002 one looks much cleaner. Check out the slp website. They have a pics of the CME hardware to give a better idea how it bolts up.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CME is one of the +10HP SS exhaust options.
It comes with a much bigger muffler, the I-pipe
has a 3.25" OD (except where it necks down to
match the Y-pipe) and the runs from the muffler
to tips are 2.5".

If you have the LM and it makes a split for two
tips, then the plumbing for the CME piece should
replace the other tips pretty close.

The tips are a pain in the *** to keep clean, the
aluminum gets all crusty from the steam and soot.
Say hello to Mother('s) at least once a week.

I've been thinking about painting mine black,
since it's the only shiny piece on the back end.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are your thoughts on the CME?
Personally I think it Kicks ***! I hate the look of a muffler hanging down from the back of a Camaro that I was looking into fabricating a polished Stainless Steel roll pan to cover mine up. But when I found out I could add the CME to my car I jumped all over it. I think it finishes off the back of the car nicely (much like the rear facia of the Trans AM).

I say get it! Eveyone gives me compliments on it where ever I go.

Greg

Old 09-15-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks awesome and like it belongs, ie it brings the line under the door to the rear . I am also thinking about it, and I want to know how it attaches to the car (sorry for hijacking thread).
Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I love mine, and it IS the best sounding factory 4th gen exhaust ever. Very nice, deep sound.

Tony
Old 09-15-2003, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

I agree, it blends in well and finishes the backside off! Also, when you look at it from the side, the bottom of the car (from tire to tire) flows nicely to the back with the valance installed. <---I think thats what its called! It just doesnt go up drastically like it does without it. Ya know what I mean. I know those are the best choice of words, but my vocabulary is a bit weak/little/undereducated! So I just need the plumbing, tips, and valance? Does the valance come painted or will I have to get it painted? Will the kit look just like SS LS1's and all that originally came on the cars or will it be different? The reason I asked is because I read somewhere that they dont make them like they originally installed them. Is this true? If so, what do they look like/whats different about them/any pics? Thanks everyone for your input! Im definately going to do it, but just dont know when! SLP ENG. is soooo expensive!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

"Will the kit look just like SS LS1's and all that originally came on the cars or will it be different? The reason I asked is because I read somewhere that they dont make them like they originally installed them."

This is what I read...it was in this thread!

I did a search about CME and supposedly slp isnt selling the 2002 version. They have a different cme they sell with 4 center tips. The rear fascia for this one looks kinda ricey and tacked on. The 2002 one looks much cleaner. Check out the slp website. They have a pics of the CME hardware to give a better idea how it bolts up.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My understanding is that slponline.com sells the one with the 4 tips and the valence that is two pieces (the ricey one), and that slpeng.com sells the one with the 2 tips and the valence that is one piece (the good looking one). I'm not sure if you need to have an SS to buy one, though. I think that I'm right, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The CME tips that come on the SS camaro's from the dealer is an SLP option and the only way you can get one is if you have an SS that came with that option. I had one on my car but I pulled it off because I just wanted a change. They are really hard to come by.

Jason
Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought that was b/c one was the Loudmouth setup, and the other one wasnt. That was the reason for the quad outlet vs dual outlet setup. But, i could be wrong
Old 09-16-2003, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

Carbon: Do you still have the CME setup? If so, do you wanna sell it? (I just need the plumbing/piping for the center mount set up, tips, and valance.

I was coming to think the same thing about the quad tip vs. the dual tip. I know that SLP offers a lot of things that SLP ENG. offers, but a little different. (SLP ENG. having the better of the 2, most of the time) It didnt click to me until I went the SLP ENG.'s site. Makes sense now! (SLP=quad tip/SLP ENG.=dual tip) Anyhow, to order anything from SLP ENG., you must provide a VIN# of an SS. It doesnt necessarily have to be yours. Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

SLP Engineering made the CME (nice looking valance and 2 tips)for the '01 and '02 SS's. SLP had originally made a quad tip CME back in '99 for the 2000 SS's but it never went into production. They now offer the quad tip exhaust with a different looking valance - the one that people say "looks ricey" and it is sold thru SLP Performance Parts.

You can buy the 2001-2001 CME thru SLP Engineering. I think you have to give them your VIN so they can see if your car came with the CME. If it did, you can get replacement parts (like an elbow, tips, valance one piece at a time). If your car didn't come with the CME, then you have to buy the whole thing - I-pipe, muffler, tips, valance. The reason is that the stock SS muffler won't fit up to the elbows, tips, etc.

The easiest thing to do is call SLP Eng. and ask about purchasing the CME for your car. You can contact SLP Engineering at (248)288-3066. At least, that was their old number for OE parts.

Edit: I just realized you have a 2000. You can't get a CME from SLP - only 2001/2002's can. Either get a VIN from someone or you will have to find the parts somewhere.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are the part numbers for the factory '01-'02 2 outlet CME exhaust right from SLP ENG's website. My car is a '98 so it was not available from the factory with CME. I used the part numbers below to order the parts for my car and added the Tips, Elbows, and rear valance to it. The valance will need to be painted before installation. But you will need a VIN from '01-'02 that was originally equipped with the CME system or they will not sell you the replacement parts.

The big bummer of the whole thing is that I only paid $74 for my dual CME tips in March '03, but since the parts are no longer regular production items the price has been jacked up to $259 for just the tips!!! I only paid $265 shipped for the whole system with a %10 discount and free shipping. What a crock of if you ask me. Only good news is that my system is worth more now I guess.

But I still think it is an awesome addition to the rear of the car.

Exhaust
YEAR DESCRIPTION PART# PRICE
01,02 Rear Valance Primed &amp; Harware 10758K $138.59
01,02 Dual Center Tip 10761 $259.00
01,02 Tailpipe 90 Degree Adapter, Left 10863 $20.88
01,02 Tailpipe 90 Degree Adapter, Right 10864 $20.88
01,02 Tape, PSA (0.060") 58 inches of tape 10885 $12.15
01,02 Tape, PSA (0.090") 49 inches of tape 50229 $12.15
01,02 Pine Tree Fasteners, (MATTE) Used for Center Exhaust Valance 50273 $0.59

Old 09-17-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NVMySS, Yes I do still have the dual tip center mount exhaust and I am willing to sell it. If your car is black then you will not have to paint the valance. E-mail me at jfben79@yahoo.com if interested.

jason
Old 09-17-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

NVMySS, Yes I do still have the dual tip center mount exhaust and I am willing to sell it. If your car is black then you will not have to paint the valance. E-mail me at jfben79@yahoo.com if interested.

jason

Jason, if NVMYSS (Jeremy) doesnt take them, I might be interested in just the tips. I have the CME, but want and extra set so that I can get them chromed. Drop me a PM.

Thanks,
Ulysses
Old 09-17-2003, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ulysses, whats up bro, havent seen/talked to you in a while! About the tips, you already got a set, you dont need another one! Im very interested and Im about to shoot him an email. So...THEYRE MINE!!! just kiddin'
Old 09-17-2003, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Carbon (Jason): I sent you an email. Thanks
Old 09-17-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NVMySS, PM sent

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the CME?