LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

LS3 with problems, Problem Solved, Thanks LG MOTORSPORTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 with problems, Problem Solved, Thanks LG MOTORSPORTS

6.2 liter ls3, 418ci,Texas Speed prc l92 heads, 102mm intake and tb,50lbs injectors,11:6:1,1"7/8 t/s headers. The cam is the ? 239/248/.651/.615. Is this the right cam for the motor? We took the car to snl performance to get tuned,texas speed suggested them.The first time clutch was slipping,car made 461rwhp. Installed a spec stage 3+ clutch.Did the 500 mile break in before we went back. Took car back to snl performance and it only made 459rwhp and 480ftlb. Max power is @ 5500rpm. SNL and texas speed still says clutch is sliping. The car will not idle and fouls a set of plugs a week if drove very much. Not saying T/S or SNL did any thing wrong. NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Thank's Jordan

Last edited by edunegan; 01-25-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Strange, if your burning plugs its only because of bad timing or tuning. Clutch doesnt change anything to this. Take a look at your flywheel, if you puyt a stage 3 clutch on stock flywheel it might be the cause of the slipping.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had to cut the dyno session short the first time due to a rocker arm problem and a clutch that all but failed on the dyno.

The second time we dyno tuned the car but you declined the street tune... we didn't get the opportunity to finish the tune for you. The clutch was slipping on the dyno, why I'm not sure as we didn't diagnose it (I.E. pull it out). We made as much power as the car could with what you had. It's unfortunate that we didn't get to street tune the car as it would definetly help you with driveability.

We've always been more than willing to help you guys out, bring the car back when you get a chance and we'll finish the street tune.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I'll add in that the peak power RPM will be affected by the slipping clutch. The graph looked like it wanted to keep climbing, but just couldn't due to the clutch. It should peak up there around 6400rpm or so when all of that is lined out.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no fault here but your own if you don't like the way it drives when declining a driveability tune. Without a driveability tune i'm suprise it even runs with that setup.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

First off I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone, I'm just trying to get opinions. Back to the clutch, it does not have stock flywheel, it has Fidanza Aluminim flywheel. If I need to I will pull the clutch back out and take pics. If I buy a Monster clutch, put it in and power does not increase then what will we do next? I know the exhaust is having some effect (Flowmaster) but its still not making power like it should. I will change clutch, change exhaust, and what happens if power does not increase?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by edunegan
First off I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone, I'm just trying to get opinions. Back to the clutch, it does not have stock flywheel, it has Fidanza Aluminim flywheel. If I need to I will pull the clutch back out and take pics. If I buy a Monster clutch, put it in and power does not increase then what will we do next? I know the exhaust is having some effect (Flowmaster) but its still not making power like it should. I will change clutch, change exhaust, and what happens if power does not increase?
Depending on the severity of the slip you're losing a lot of power. Fix the clutch and go from there. You need to fix what you know is wrong before working on any hypotheticals.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Other people we have talked to and have seen the dyno graph say the clutch is not slipping, they say the cam is too big.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Kinda strange.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The cam is too big, so it's peaking almost 1K rpm's early??

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Jordan forwarded the information for this link and the associated dyno-graphs to me for consideration and to be honest the curve is smooth and consistent. Unless there is some amazing amount of corrective factor being applied to smooth the graph I would argue that the clutch doesn't appear to be slipping. I know that others in this post may see this differently...and perhaps posting the graphs will allow other to understand what I mean (See graph below).

In fact if you look at the Data Points (found on the right-hand side of the image) which are based on engine speed, you can see that there is a steady prograssion of torque and HP throughout the visible rev range. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see any evidence of slip.

Generally speaking slip would be evidenced by increased RPM without a corresponding increase in MPH...Jordan doesn't feel this when driving the car and even the dyno doesn't seem to show support for the above assertions. If you want to datalog the car and provide evidenceto support this I am more then willing to take a look. Just let me know. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Here's a graph everyone should be able to see. Unless the cam is installed incorrectly, which Jordan has assured me is not the case, the car should peak up around 6500rpm or so. I'd tend to agree that slipping would typically see more RPM but not a real increase in MPH, but if the slip isn't as drastic, that might not be the case. Perhaps the clutch isn't completely slipping, but not holding 100%??? Jeremy and Steve, yall are the experts on that subject, and I'm all ears!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Is that on pump gas? 11.6:1 is pretty high. Anyway, wouldn't you smell the clutch if it was slipping, especially if its slipping under that much power? I know I can smell my stock clutch at the track after just one pass and its barely slipping.

I would look into valve float, got some big valves to control with that huge lift.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We saw the car's graphs with valve float before....that has been remedied and the graph doesn't indicate anymore stability issues.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

I should have checked the sizing before I posted the graph...my apologies. Thanks for resizing it. Unless there are data-logs evidencing slip then it's occurence is hypothetical. And, as a result Jordan seems to be stuck in the middle. I still see no evidence of slip in the provided graph. Maybe you all have some other data you can post to supprt this...

The most common place for slippage to occur is under high levels of load. Put the car on the road in 6th gear at a low RPM and floor the accelerator. If the clutch is going to slip it is going to happen then. Of course you can simiulate even greater load on a dyno...but doing that wouldn't exactly be kosher and doing this wouldn't make much sense.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I have put the car in 6th gear and held it to the floor, can't feel or see no clutch slip in the rpm. On the dyno we made several pullls and it made about the same power just about every time. I would figure after making several pulls on the dyno if the clutch was slipping the dyno graph would be more erratic!! Still not sure what is goin on.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Sounds to me if Monster Clutch and TS are sure its the clutch they should supply you one to put in it and if that fixes the problem then pay for it if not then put the Spec 3+ back in it and find the real problem. Thats the only way to find out who is rite or wrong.. Unless someone is afraid of being wrong???????
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

I'd be most concerned about the fact that you're fouling plugs every week. You need to cover the basics before you go crazy over the dyno numbers because what good is having a 500rwhp car if you can't drive it down the street?

Go get the street tune done and get all the non WOT tuning taken care of. This will get the car driving properly and give you time to put some more miles on the clutch so you can figure out whether or not that's the problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

The clutch had over 800 miles when we went the 2nd time. The clutch has now about 1500. The street tune was performed the 1st time we went, the 2nd time there was still problems, so yes, i declined the street tune the 2nd time. The street tune has nothing to do with power falling off @ 5500.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edunegan
The clutch had over 800 miles when we went the 2nd time. The clutch has now about 1500. The street tune was performed the 1st time we went, the 2nd time there was still problems, so yes, i declined the street tune the 2nd time. The street tune has nothing to do with power falling off @ 5500.
So then if the car was street tuned and still fouls plugs that quickly you have a mechanical problem somewhere else. A slipping clutch will not make plugs foul but whatever is causing the plugs to foul may also be causing your WOT power drop.

Quick Reply: LS3 with problems, Problem Solved, Thanks LG MOTORSPORTS