LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Beware: Katech LS9R clutch failed 700 miles Katech wont stand behind their products

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware: Katech LS9R clutch failed 700 miles Katech wont stand behind their products

Beware:

On Feb 1st 2012 I ordered the LS9-R clutch kit from Katech KAT-A6184. With the remote bleeder and shipping I spent $1825.70. I had the clutch kit installed at the dealership who installed the katech flywheels, clutch and pressure plate, slave as well as a new gm clutch master cylinder. I did the usual stop and go 500 mile break in period no issues. Let me also state that this is a weekend vehicle so I only drive it on weekends weather providing. Well one Sunday mid April I was driving the car and noticed as I shifted into third gear there was a strange noise from the drivetrain area. I coasted to the side of the road to soon find out that the car would not come out of gear. The car would move forward fine but it was stuck in gear for some strange reason. I turned the car off but as I tried to start it again with the clutch pedal pressed in the car tried to jump forward and still would not come out of gear. I let the car sit a bit, checked the clutch fluid and still no luck so I had the car towed back to the dealership. The dealership began by checking a few things and replacing the clutch master again with no luck and then they tore the rear end and drivetrain all back out. The clutch disk on the pressure plate side had been ground down to the rivets and there was a large worn area on the pressure plate as well. The strange part is that the flywheel side had not worn at all like that and the flywheel still looked perfect. I contacted Jason at Katech that following week to discuss what had happened and informed him that the car had only 700 miles on it since the clutch was installed. He said he would have his “engineers” look into the pictures that I had taken and for me to send him the damaged parts back. After numerous emails and different “ideas” of what they thought might have happened, Jason refused to stand behind his product (which was obviously defective) and replace the parts. I have attached pictures and copies of our emailed conversations.

Me: Hi Jason,
I had called you the other day in regards to my LS9-R clutch kit that I purchased back around the first of February. I had the dealership install my clutch kit on Feb 10th and it has approximately 700 miles on it since the install. I also had the dealership install a new clutch master when we put this clutch kit in. As I was telling you the other day the clutch locked up and wouldn't disengage at all. I had the car towed back to the dealership. The dealership first replaced the clutch master cylinder to see if that was the issue but no luck. They then tore the whole thing back down. I had the technician take pictures of everything and I have attached them for you to see. The disc on the flywheel side looks perfect he said and the flywheel is still in excellent condition as well. I'm thinking I need to switch out the disk, pressure plate and slave. Please give me a call at your convenience so we can discuss swapping this out for another unit.
Thanks James

Jason’s first email response: Thanks for the pictures. I'm having one of our engineers review this. I'll get back to you.
Jason Harding
Director of Aftermarket Operations

Jason’s next email response: James,
It looks like the clutch was slipping for a long time, finally wore the material down on one disk and let go. You have a lot of clutch dust on the slave cylinder for only 700 miles and it looks wet. This could be caused by an oil leak at the rear main seal or a hydraulic leak. You will need to replace the clutch assembly and investigate an oil leak.

Best Regards,
Jason Harding

My response: Jason there is no leak of any sort on any part of the clutch assembly. There is no rear main seal leak at either. There is clutch dust on the slave boot because the clutch disk was worn down to the rivets and that dust had to go somewhere. There was definitely some sort of defect in the pressure plate and disk and these parts need to be replaced.
James

Jason’s next email response: James,

I've been speaking to the engineers involved with the design of this clutch and I have some more information for you about the failure you experienced and a concrete explanation. The failure is from what the engineers call “cold burst over speed.” In other words, the drivetrain was over-revved when cold. The disks are good to over 10,000rpm when hot, but when cold that threshold is greatly reduced. If the car experiences a mechanical over-rev, clutch disk speed exceeds maximum with clutch pedal in. The input shaft is still traveling at high speed even though the engine is decoupled from the gearbox and an engine over-rev does not occur. I hope that sheds some more light on the failure.

Best Regards,
Jason Harding

My response once again: Jason,
I have sent you the clutch kit back as requested so you should be receiving it within the next few days. As far as the "cold burst" goes that is impossible for that to have happened. I warm the car up properly each and every time I drive it which is only on weekends and our Texas weather has been 80 degrees + for the last few months. The clutch disk and pressure plate failed on the pressure plate side after 700 miles and as I stated earlier it was installed at the dealership by a certified 20+ year GM technician. I really wish you would stand behind your products and make this right.

Thanks,
James

Jason’s final email response: We do stand behind our products, but our warranty does not cover over-revs. It could be a hot over-rev if the disks went over 10,000rpm. I had the GM engineers who designed your clutch analyze it. They knew exactly what the cause of failure was.

Jason Harding

CLIFFS: KATECH LS9-R CLUTCH KIT LOCKED UP AFTER 700 MILES AND JASON AT KATECH WONT STAND BEHIND HIS PRODUCTS!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that's a ******* bummer man!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

hmm... someone else on the forum just had a problem w/ their Katech LS9R clutch, I'll let them chime in. But I know the clutch is coming out because it is not acting right.

This go up on Corvetteforum? That'll break alot of hearts over there.

Last edited by C5kid; 05-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

They locked my thread and put it into the feedback section on cf.. i guess those of us whith disputes cant discuss them without the vendors pushing there weight around.. its ok im not done with them yet

James
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks man.

So does Corvette forum

I've had great experience withe my spec stage 2 clutch. I have over 400rwhp.

Good luck bro
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

BLACK WIDOW, how "beefed up" is your engine? Because if you over-revved that much as Jason explained, I think you would also have failed engine parts along with the clutch failure...? Hmmm...
Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok noone should chime in to compare there spec 2 to this clutch, wow man im real sorry to hear this, i can tell you right now i wont call them after reading there e mails, what a douch, i can see you spending close to 3 grand on a clutch and jump in first thing in the am and rev to 10 grand lol, most times there is always 2 sides, not this time its right there, at least the issue tsp had with there true duals they stood behind, but thay looks like a 700000 mile clutch not 700,
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Captain Double Post

Good point, revin that high and no other damage, you would think reving that high there would be rods/springs etc, wish my car would spin to 10 grand
Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow man sorry to hear that you are having that happen. I have the same clutch in my car and hope that if something does go wrong Katech would stand behind their product.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
They locked my thread and put it into the feedback section on cf.. i guess those of us whith disputes cant discuss them without the vendors pushing there weight around.. its ok im not done with them yet

James
LOL!!!! Not surprising. Just one of the downfalls of CF.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAMN..................

i hope they work it out with you,good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

every manufacture have there defective parts... him not standing behind it and understanding it is sad. I feel for you man
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm...just bought one. Not installed yet. When did you buy it?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
BLACK WIDOW, how "beefed up" is your engine? Because if you over-revved that much as Jason explained, I think you would also have failed engine parts along with the clutch failure...? Hmmm...
Just your average bolt on stock motor makes 570ish.. I spent the extra money on this Katech R clutch so that I could throw on a power adder down the road

James
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Hmmmm...just bought one. Not installed yet. When did you buy it?
I purchased the clutch kit on Feb 1st and the clutch froze up on April 13th

James
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, this was high on my list for the next clutch replacement. Guess I will look elsewhere. I change the clutch on my back and it isn't something I would want to do after 700 miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Just your average bolt on stock motor makes 570ish.. I spent the extra money on this Katech R clutch so that I could throw on a power adder down the road

James
Ok, so with a bolt-on stock motor if you over revved your engine that bad to do that kind of damage to the clutch (cold or hot, doesn't matter), there's likely a 99% chance you'd have some sort of failed engine part(s).

The over revved scenario doesn't make a lot of sense if there's no other damaged parts due to it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5kid
LOL!!!! Not surprising. Just one of the downfalls of CF.

I honestly couldnt agree more... It makes EVERY vendor on CF look great and im a vendor over there and i hate it.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

I read the vendors response at CF. I have driven and abused clutch cars for many years and I have never heard of a clutch over rev problem as he describes it. I am sorry you spent so much and go so little out of it.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stories like this are the reasons I stayed away from the LS9 variety at katech. I heard nothing but bad stories about it so I went with a clutch from a vendor who drag races often, East Coast Supercharging. I love my Mantic twin disk

Quick Reply: Beware: Katech LS9R clutch failed 700 miles Katech wont stand behind their products