LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

QTP Problem: SPONSOR OFFERED TO RESOLVE

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default QTP Problem: SPONSOR OFFERED TO RESOLVE

I have a set of QTP longtubes on my car and was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with them leaking where the primaries go into the collector? Its a pretty big leak and sounds pretty bad. I called and even sent QTP pictures of where they are leaking and they told me this is normal, which Im not too sure about. While I know it wont affect performance it's just annoying to always hear. They told me the joint can expand and shrink with heat which I also understand too, and it may be just the price I have to pay for performance. Car is also untuned currently, but I dont think that would affect this either. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Last edited by NBM99SS; 11-27-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not normal but it may not be a leaking. You will hear more valvetrain noise with headers.

My pacesetters "tick" but its just valvetrain noise from what I've been told. I can't find any actual leaks.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

They shouldn't leak. You know its leaking or just suspect that it is leaking?

QTP is a quality product and they should fix it. I'd call them back if you are certain of the leak.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
I have a set of QTP longtubes on my car and was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with them leaking where the primaries go into the collector? Its a pretty big leak and sounds pretty bad. I called and even sent QTP pictures of where they are leaking and they told me this is normal, which Im not too sure about. While I know it wont affect performance it's just annoying to always hear. They told me the joint can expand and shrink with heat which I also understand too, and it may be just the price I have to pay for performance. Car is also untuned currently, but I dont think that would affect this either. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?
On each header they make there is always one tube they don't weld up all the way around, look in the center of where the 4 tubes merge and you will see it.

Both of mine (left and right) are big enough to see daylight thru it, I too sent them pictures and was also told its supposed to be this way.
If your lucky you get a set that was mated up close and has close tolerances, if your unlucky you can get one with a really wide gap. Mine appear to be approx. 0.025" gap on one and approx. 0.030" on the other header.
I understand about it expanding and contracting, but both pieces are made from the same material, thus they have the same expansion and contraction rates as they will be basically at the same operational temperature. If its not a really close fit, and there is a large enough gap, its not going to seal up.

I'm just getting mine put in, so I don't know how bad its going to be yet...

Last edited by Weezzer; 11-27-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya i know the exact gap you are talking about mine is really big. I am sure it is leaking because I can put my hand in front of it and feel the exhaust hitting it.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

just wondering, when did you buy the headers.... cause one of my buddies bought some qtp's a couple months ago and has that same problem
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
just wondering, when did you buy the headers.... cause one of my buddies bought some qtp's a couple months ago and has that same problem
Purchased them in April of this year, they were delivered in late July.

edit: it is speculation a bad batch of headers were sent. QTP 11/29/06 confirmed they had no batch of bad headers the entire year.

Last edited by GEARHED; 11-29-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I wonder if this is the same deal I have with mine. They have a leak I can easily hear from inside when they are cold. It gets better when they warm up but doesn't go away. I've crawled under there but I didn't think to look at the collector. Is there anything that can be used to seal it?
I got mine in July too.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

pics?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MISERICORDIA
I wonder if this is the same deal I have with mine. They have a leak I can easily hear from inside when they are cold. It gets better when they warm up but doesn't go away. I've crawled under there but I didn't think to look at the collector. Is there anything that can be used to seal it?
I got mine in July too.
You can take it and find a good tig welder and let them fix it, the PS shouldn't be hard to get to, the DS is going to be much harder as it has that long "L" shape comming out of the collector and I doubt it can be tig welded as access to the spot is severly limited. It may be doable with a stick rod but care will have to be taken not to arc across the remaining primaries as they will have to weld down between that long section of tubes. Another solution would be to identify the "problem" tube and have the welder weld around that tube from inside the merge collector. If it's fixed this way it will have to be welded all around that one primary, but it may be much easier to access on the DS header.

I thought about having these welded prior to assembly, but I didn't. I thought I'd try them and see just how bad it is first.
If this post had been started prior to Friday (thats the day I started installing them) I probably would have located a good welder and found out how hard it would be to fix this problem first. I thought I was the only one that noticed this problem....

It appears QTP isn't going to do anything about it so it will more than likely be up to each individual to correct it.

EDIT: I pulled them back off the car and had another look, I'm very dissatisfied with the quality.
I placed a thread in the sponsor feedback about this problem.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...12#post5957812

Last edited by Weezzer; 11-28-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Runn
pics?
Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll be glad to send them to you. I can't post them here because the limit is 100k and most of my pics are around 900k.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.imagethrust.com its free

Hey I'm from South Alabama. Theodore to be exact.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya im very unhappy with this issue too. Especially since now I know im not the only one with it. I am going to try and have them welded from the inside or just pack a ton off muffler mender inside of it. It is impossible to get to it from the outside I cant even get a pocket screwdriver there to touch it. Yes it is quite noticeable when cold, and still there when warm but slightly quieter. The thing im most upset with is my buddies dont leak at all so when QTP says thats normal then that means the quality control is junk if some are leaking and others arent

Last edited by NBM99SS; 11-28-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Ya im very unhappy with this issue too. Especially since now I know im not the only one with it. I am going to try and have them welded from the inside or just pack a ton off muffler mender inside of it. It is impossible to get to it from the outside I cant even get a pocket screwdriver there to touch it. Yes it is quite noticeable when cold, and still there when warm but slightly quieter. The thing im most upset with is my buddies dont leak at all so when QTP says thats normal then that means the quality control is junk if some are leaking and others arent
I took my headers and let a couple of good welders scope them out, they don't want to touch them. Thats what I was afraid of, as you point out its pretty much impossible to have any welding access from the outside or even from inside the merge collector. Your correct about QTP quality being hit or miss. It seems to be a gamble doing business with them.

I found some Cargo Thermosteel at the local chain auto store - its used for headers and exhaust manifolds, it's supposed to be good to 2400 degrees F. Its for filling cracks and gaps. Its one possible solution. Just have to find the right shaped application tool to pack it into the gaps.

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
www.imagethrust.com its free

Hey I'm from South Alabama. Theodore to be exact.
I'm not sure where Theodore, AL is, but I'm west of Dothan near Ft Rucker.
Thanks for the link, here are some pics:

http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2j...header-1b.html

http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2j...-header1c.html

http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2j...-header-1.html

http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2j...ps-header.html

Last edited by Weezzer; 11-29-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Today, 11:08 AM
Quick Time
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Quick Time
All headers are welded like that as we already informed you about. It is impossible to weld all 4 tubes inside. It is also not an issue and we told you any gap will will seal when the tubes get hot. Just like slip fit collectors.
All this chatter about a "bad batch" of headers is simply not true. I have talked to TSP about this and all other issues posted here - if you do not understand how your collector works then please call/pm/email them for step by step instructions.

~Sponsor Feedback Moderator~
Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

So if these gaps are supposed to close when the headers/collectors get hot why do I still have an exhaust leak while im driving? I dont think you can tell me that they aren't getting hot while driving. I understand it may be impossible to weld all four pipes, but like I said I compared mine to my friends and his gap is nowhere near as big as mine, and his dont leak.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Call them again and explain it. QTP is more than happy to help you figure out if the collector is a proper fit.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man I would but at this point after hearing them tell me, and plenty of other apparently that nothing is wrong with our headers its quite obvious they arent going to fix it for me. I will go ahead and fix their problem and bad quality myself and probably just wont recomend their product anymore which is a shame because I think they are a great longtube but they dont seem to want to help out their customers and shown in this thread.

Quick Reply: QTP Problem: SPONSOR OFFERED TO RESOLVE