LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Problems to date?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems to date?

Start with me.

Steering Rack- Worn out. Dealer originally thought it was the right front strut, got a new strut...

Warped Rotors- Fronts turned once by dealer. I then replaced all of them with aftermarket

OnStar controller- OnStar and the dealer were not communicating well to fix this one. OnStar would not activate any commands other than dialing numbers.

Passenger side seat track- seat was rattling

Passenger side Outer Axle Boot- Clamped too tight at the factory

Negative Battery Cable- Dealer broke that one

Low Oil Level Sensor- Replaced that one on my own since it was $14

Air Bag controller- One of my first problems. got a new IGN swtich and Pass side seat belt and buckle assembly from this

Headliner- Velcro pads detached from board and was rattling

Keyless Entry- Low range

Truck lid alignment- causing a knocking sound in the left rear. Was rubbing on tail light

Both trunk hinges- Strut mount popped off hinge on left side...passenger side looks ready to do the same...

and now the ISS- ocasionally gettin that tugging feeling under turning with braking, and the front of the seat doesn move up unless I flick the swtich several times...

I just keep telling myself I like the car....And I do but quite a bit has failed...

32K now....

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 12-20-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

2006 Monte Carlo all stock, 22k+ miles. Had the steering rack/ISS problem and it was all replaced. other then that no problems.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

05 GXP

Cracked front rotors replaced at 70k km. Nothing else, yet @ 77k km.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

dude if thats the case if i'd recommend getting a lawyer and going after for it being a lemon or whatever else there is , usually they dont replace the car or give u ur money back, you get a settlement for x amount of dollars and keep the car and the warranty and its all good. i'd look into that if i were u sounds like your having a bad expierence with this car and need to be compensated, our cars are not cheap and this is unacceptable.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Resident

wow another problem thread.. whine whine whine
Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I keep losing to Z06s. That counts right?

The list:
-Tie Rod at 15k
-Transmission replaced at 33k.
-Leak through OnStar Antenna.
-Warped Rotors (On a W Body? Never!), used as an excuse to upgrade my brakes
-AC Delco Battery died
-Making the damn service drone at the dealer understand that when I said "Grand Prix GXP" I meant GXP and not GTP.

Beyond that no problems. I was a little annoyed by the Onstar Antenna leak, the fact that they leak just suggests that they're installed in a very half *** manner. I mean you could just put the thing on and caulk the hell out of it, but GM doesn't.

The transmission was a little scary, it always makes me worry, If I'm out in like middle of nowhere Neveda or something and it decides to go bad again, that could be a problem. But in reality all kinds of things could happen all kinds of cars that could **** me, so I should likely stop worrying as much.

Overall can't complain much.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to go to my car and get my gaint notebook of repairs to remember everything. But i've had all the problems listed to help me remember i'm going to list ones i've had problems with

Onstar battery died - new battery
Onstar would not comminucate with onstar - new onstar system
ACDelco battery died - replaced battery
seat belt warning lights and air bag light - replaced body module TWICE
low range on keyfob - replaced some more ****
Clunking in steering at 12k - replaced IIS
drivers side seat power control would not raise front of seat - replaced motors
Right side mirror would not heat - replaced mirror
seat belt latch stoped latching - replaced seat belt with new model.
Clunking and ticking and knocking and loose steering - replaced engine cradle engine mounts installed updated IIS and power steering rack.
Warped rotors at very low miles around 7k and had the problem for a long time till i replaced them on my own with R1Concepts. The rotors only showed signs of warp at extremly high speeds so wasn't a big deal

I know theres more i just can't remember.

Stealth some of us have a right to complain as we've had a redicoulous amount of problems yet this is a thread about everything we've experienced. Unless you have something to add to the thread **** off ?
You are complaining about people whining n **** but you are just contradicting yourself and crying about other ****.
So please lay off. We're suppose to be helping each other here and most of us have clearly done that except ...........yea you get the picture

One thing that does work great are my R1Concepts and ceramic brakes first time i had to do a emergency stop and mashed it all the way to the floor and i went from 60-0 in what felt like a redicoulously short period. I felt blood rush to my face it stoped so hard lol.

Last edited by Sint3k; 12-20-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

2007 Imp SS 21k on the clock. Only problem to date was a sound coming from the rear, they replaced a spring IIRC. I think I may have the ISS problem creeping up though.

And people need to stop throwing out lemon law every time someone has a problem. The lemon law applies when ONE problem cannot be fixed after a reasonable amount of repair attempts(usually 3 or 4) within the first X amount of miles(usually 12-24k depending on state). Only other way it applies is if the car has been out of service in the shop for atleast 30 days within the same time frame. I hardly see how his car applies to this. This is the lemon law as it applies to his state, NY.

Similarly, the New York State New Car Lemon Law, General Business Law, Section 198-a, provides that if, after a reasonable number of attempts, a dealer cannot repair a new vehicle within the first 18 months or two years of delivery of that vehicle to the consumer, then the consumer is entitled to a refund of the purchase price or a replacement vehicle. The law presumes that a reasonable number of attempts have been made if the dealer has made four repair attempts for the same problem or the vehicle has been out of service for 30 days or more within the first 18,000 miles or two years. However, this does not mean that you have to have four repair attempts or meet the 30 day requirement to have a claim under the New York State New Car Lemon Law. So long as a "reasonable number" of repair attempts have been made, you may seek relief. Consequently, you should always consult with a lawyer when evaluating your legal rights. This law also provides a mechanism for recovering attorney fees.
Pennsylvania's law reads the same way only the mileage requirements differ a bit.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Stealth some of us have a right to complain as we've had a redicoulous amount of problems yet this is a thread about everything we've experienced. Unless you have something to add to the thread **** off ?
You are complaining about people whining n **** but you are just contradicting yourself and crying about other ****.
So please lay off. We're suppose to be helping each other here and most of us have clearly done that except ...........yea you get the picture
Haha chill out dude, and how is it helping seeing the same post over and over and over and over about the same problems. How is it helping eachother by listing all your problems?? and asking if your car is a lemon???.. I come here to learn about the new possibilties for new go fast products and tuning tech, not basic repair info. Learn to search people, yes your iss is crap, your power steering sucks, you have fwd, the car design is flawd, your transmission sucks, you have a loud valvetrain... Wow that really helps listing all our problem just so when possible venders do some research they are detered by everyone having some much problems. Yes i may be contradicting myself by its the same **** over and over again. I'm not tring to attack anyone by anymeans but come on every second post is either someone saying their car is crap and their selling or saying they have another problem that has been covered a million times. So it is PAST THE HELPING POINT, if they want help search, if you don't like you car sell it and leave!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Launching!

06 Imp, 14K - 2 dead AC Delco Batts, Broken negative battery cable (by dealer), Keyless entry range sucks even after their "fix". I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems, no wonder GM is going broke.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Here we go again.
-Battery went south
-Driver's seat quit reclining
-Paint is chipping around rear spoiler, getting decklid repainted in January
-XM works intermittently
-New receiver for remote starting
-Dashpad separating above middle A/C vents
-Steering noises
Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I have a right to post anything I want. If you do not approve then you do not have to read it... But obvioulsy you have read it....but not read into it. I rattled off a fair amount of issues that I had. Its good to let the community periodicly know what can go wrong with these vehicles so we know how to be prepared for them in the future. Education is a wonderful thing. I do in fact like my car; esspecially more so; as of now the seat just broke in. Very comfy... the driveline is loosening up and its it not consuming as much fuel. But the problems I have had are just very strange and way too frequent....My dealer; thank goodness; is a place I can go to and 95% of the time get a loaner and get things repaired. All they ask of me is to be patient and understanding. One thing is certian. I am not saving my car for the next comming of christ, it gets driven and I will own it quite possibly till it starts to rust. Even if I wanted to its not easy to dump a car. There is too much involved in that. Esspecially when it is not worth all that much...

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 12-20-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Amen!^
Old 12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
I think I have a right to post anything I want. If you do not approve then you do not have to read it... But obvioulsy you have read it....but not read into it. I rattled off a fair amount of issues that I had. Its good to let the community periodicly know what can go wrong with these vehicles so we know how to be prepared for them in the future. Education is a wonderful thing. I do in fact like my car; esspecially more so; as of now the seat just broke in. Very comfy... the driveline is loosening up and its it not consuming as much fuel. But the problems I have had are just very strange and way too frequent....My dealer; thank goodness; is a place I can go to and 95% of the time get a loaner and get things repaired. All they ask of me is to be patient and understanding. One thing is certian. I am not saving my car for the next comming of christ, it gets driven and I will own it quite possibly till it starts to rust. Even if I wanted to its not easy to dump a car. There is too much involved in that. Esspecially when it is not worth all that much...
Good point, and i wasn't really directing my comments at you, i'm sorry it just came out in your thread. I just wish we had more threads about new R&D not the same old problem posts or "i want to sell my car posts". I can use the search function and probably find 100 posts about the same thing you posted about. I guess i've always had good luck with my cars, maybe since i drive them like a old lady 90% of the time and crazy only 10% lol.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

06 GXP

At 33k I had all this stuff replaced. I had the IIS replaced, both power steering hoses leak and had to be replaced. The dash had lots of rattles, the dealership fixed that. Two weeks later the rear suspension end links both needed to be replaced. Also had a tranny leak at the transmission. The dealership fixed that. Now have 37k on it, so out of factory warranty.

Travis
Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking.. My engine and transmission were made first thing on monday morning... the rest of the car didnt get finished till 7pm on friday....They worked overtime to build this one.....Certified it and sent it out the back door

Not for nothing, I am pretty good to my vehicle as well. The thing that breaks my heart is that the platform has been out for over 20 years... I was banking solely on that...I just hope nothing else goes awry....Mechanically I belive it is a sound vehicle...
Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

The thing that breaks my heart is that the platform has been out for over 20 years... I was banking solely on that...I just hope nothing else goes awry....Mechanically I belive it is a sound vehicle...
A front wheel drive V8 is not a practical car (lots of low end torque and 8" wide front tires is just asking for trouble in a daily driven car) eventhough the platform has been out for 20 years. I bought mine knowing it was a freak car lol and thats what i wanted. I knew i couldn't depend on a car like this, its not a DD just a sleeper for the straight lines. My cars even more of a freak now cause the interior is striped. These cars are what they are
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's not a DD then the car serves absolutely no purpose then. It's not practical as a performance car either.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought my car with 17k on it i now have 35k
the issues i have had are as follows
both outter tie rods
steering shaft lubricated
replaced front calipers(tsb)
new rotors and pads
right rear wheel bearing
wiring issues with the dic fixed now
heater core
belt tensioner busted new belt
dealership fucked up my interior and rear bumper
new tires

right now i need the heater control panle replaced lights blew out, steering shaft again, a small problem with the drivers seat i can fix that my self

overall small issues iam not bitchin at all i love my car, the paint chips i can fix my self no biggie, its my daily driver, i dont abuse my cars at all, **** happens
i just need the gmpp does anyone have any info on that

i can get great deal on it iam wondering with the trouble gm is in do they still offer a factory warranty??
Old 12-21-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my car, feel it saved me from serious injury ...

With that said, I leave the Check Engine and the TPMS lights lit on the dash because I'm not going to drop $1K into fixing something that will break again in 20K miles.

Mechanically I haven't had anything to complain about since it went out of warranty, just wish the electronics would go away!

I may replace the car if the economy EVER gets better, but not the smart thing to do right now, so I drive it.