Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tire Pressure Monitor System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tire Pressure Monitor System Problem

So back in the fall, my DIC started flashing with the message "Service Tire Monitor System". I'd get the DIC message on startup, and the tire pressure light would stay on. The driver side rear tire pressure monitor was not giving a reading.

I had the dealer reset the sytem when I had my car in for an oil change this past November. Car was fine for about two weeks, then then the DIC message appeared again and stayed on.

Just took my car in again today. Did oil change and service including tire rotation. Told me they reset the system, but couldn't find anything wrong. The tire and rim are not leaking (I check the tire pressure weekly which has been constant). Started it up, left the dealer, and not 5 miles from the dealership I get the DIC message, and it won't give a reading on the driver rear and front passenger side tires!

I will have to call them again to get this looked at, as they obviously are incompotent when it comes to fixing the problem! Has anyone else had this happen to them? What do I have to do to fix the problem?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

i have the same problem.. i took it into the dealer and they reset it, but same thing.. Mine comes on after about 30 mins of driving and then will start working anywhere from 2 to 15 mins later. Sometimes it will come on again. Its funny b/c i drive the same route every weekend to see my GF and it comes on almost at the same location on the highway. So its like a time thing before the message comes on. From what i was told from the dealer, if it comes up, ithas to store some kind of code b/c service tire system isnt enough info for the tech lol, but he said it doesnt store a hard code, so when the light goes off, so does the code in the computer. Everytime i have taking it to the dealer, the message and light never comes on.. He told me to go out and get a cheap code modular for the car so when it comes on, pop it in and get the code and bring it back and they will fix it..
Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I have a similar problem my driver side rear tire reads anywhere from 20 psi to 70 psi and when i check it with a hand held guage it is always fine. but i also get a message saying to service the air bag and i notice that the light on the dashboard is on and the passenger side both lights are on " on and off" is this run off of the ecu or is it the same reciever as the remote start and door locks?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I have these same problems. Dealer has never successfully diagnosed them but IIRC from some older guys on here it has to deal with the BCM unit and the ENTIRE system needs to be replaced.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you guys need the new RCDLR (Remote control door lock receiver). Heres a bulletin from GM:

#07-08-52-001B: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters) - (Jun 19, 2007)

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne

2006-2007 Cadillac DTS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to include an "Important" statement containing breakpoint information based on the vehicle's build date. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Important: This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built after the following dates:

• DTS / Lucerne: 5/1/07

• Impala / Monte Carle: 3/1/07

For vehicles built after these dates, refer to SI for diagnosis and repair information.

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

• The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.

• The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) and/or remote vehicle start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause
Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Correction
Important: This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built after the following dates:

For vehicles built after these dates, refer to SI for diagnosis and repair information.

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Teching In

^^^^^^^^

Humh....that is interesting. I had the remote keyless entry system replaced for that exact bulletin, and this tire pressure monitor issue cropped up at about the same time!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Possible incorrect antenna installation. If you want, get out a 7mm socket and remove the 1 screw that holds on the driver side a-pillar trim panel. Remove the panel and take a picture of the a-pillar. I can tell you if they installed the antenna correctly, or even at all.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

I had the issue with the service tire monitor message. They replaced the sensor on the one wheel. Not 2 minutes from leaving the shop, the message came up again.

I took it back and they ended up performing the work on the TSB posted above. Haven't had any problems since (knocks on wood). It's been almost a year.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedshifter
Sounds like you guys need the new RCDLR (Remote control door lock receiver). Heres a bulletin from GM:

#07-08-52-001B: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters) - (Jun 19, 2007)

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne

2006-2007 Cadillac DTS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

This bulletin is being revised to include an "Important" statement containing breakpoint information based on the vehicle's build date. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

• The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.

• The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.

• The remote keyless entry (RKE) and/or remote vehicle start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause
Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.

Taking my car in tomorrow to have this problem looked at yet again. I will bring the above service bulletin in and show it to the service guys. I'll keep everyone posted on whether or not this resolves the problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you might have to shell out $60 for a new sensor in the tire that isn't working. I had to replace my front driver's side one. Fixed the issue.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had this problem about 1 year ago and had to take my car to the dealer a few times. All they wanted to do was reset the issue. Eventually, they decided to replace the sensor and the problem was solved.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

I know this is off topic but my airbag have came up the past week twice any body else had this prob????i to also had md my tire pressure light come on and had reset @ the dealer...no prob since then
Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Yeah, my dealer replaced sensors in two wheels which seems to have corrected the problem. I'm still under warranty until November, so it didn't cost me anything.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

mine has been doin it since about a week after i bought the car (used) I have had it up there 4 times and everytime before i get home the light comes back on again and somtimes the passenger rear doesnt read I just said screw it and I check my pressure from time to time manually to make sure everything is cool

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System Problem