LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems repaired (update and COST$$$)

My trans is starting to act up. Sometimes when I put it in drive, I hit the gas and it's not there then bang I'm going. It does the same occasionally in reverse put it in gear hit the gas nothing then bang. The problem is only in these two gears.

Update...
Man my car is different now and even the ZZP shift seemed to be performing better now that the trans is fully rebuilt. Here's the bill and it was done at an actual trans only shop (highly recommended here in Pittsburgh). I'm gonna put a couple hundred miles on it before I take another run through my almost 2 mile tunnel and really test the tranny and kit.

1) Master kit with steels and rings (and I had this clutch kit installed, not as good as the Raybestos blue, but good for my application the Raybestos red clutch pak is fine. Their Z Pak base kit was tested on an 1100 hp motor http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/r...d_f_stage1.php this is the link to the red kit)
2) New torque convertor
3) Upgraded and better quality input diode type sprag
4) Upgraded lower roller clutch
5) Hardened 4th clutch shaft (mine was gone and I told the F*****S at Pontiac that my 4th gear was jumping rpm when it shifted and that is now RESOLVED!!!)
6) Sonnax upgraded boost sleeve assembly
7) Fluid and Filter
$1007.98/parts
$1365.00/labor
$2272.98
$0 out of pocket expense (my Zurich $1700 warranty just paid for itself and I still have 3 years left)

Next up;
earn more money to do more upgrades
save that money and get a car already done by someone else
save that money and buy a 2009 G8 GXP in 2010 or 2011
or buy a G8 GXP already upgraded by someone else

Last edited by dj_stylzpgh/GXP05; 02-19-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

I think im having a similar issue. The guys on the forum said that they think im pressing the gas to early after i switch gears (drive/reverse) and that you must wait for it to engage. The gear changes do seem slower than on previous cars ive driven.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM

mine kinda did the same thing in reverse only but i lost reverse completely then i put it in park then back in reverse and it worked fine, it did it like 3 times like you described after that then i lost reverse later that day and it never came back, the only remedy was getting it rebuilt, idk if your problem could lead to this or not but i'd have it looked at if you still have your warranty
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Input clutch piston is ring cut. Seen it 100 times.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you read my thread about my tranny issues, mine is getting rebuilt too, sounds to me like your next in line
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Trans

Originally Posted by bdyman
if you read my thread about my tranny issues, mine is getting rebuilt too, sounds to me like your next in line
Have a link?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the shop getting torn down to find out what's up. Have a Zurich warranty with a $100 ded.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by dj_stylzpgh/GXP05
In the shop getting torn down to find out what's up. Have a Zurich warranty with a $100 ded.
I really hope you don't have it at a dealership. If you do, most likely things will be overlooked. I work in a dealership, but I learned how to build transmissions way before my dealership days. Several times a week I have to go into a transmission behind another guy that just threw some clutches in one, or "re-sealed" it. Most transmission guys in a dealership know very little about them, or how they work. GM lacks severely on their transmission training. I can go on and on about this, but it really does no good. Good luck with your car, and maybe you'll get someone that knows what they are doing!