LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Alarm going off at 2AM is never a good thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm going off at 2AM is never a good thing

So last night I'm up til 1:15 or so. Daughter wasn't sleeping well so I put her in bed w/the wife and I slept on the couch. Fall asleep and at just about 2AM the car horn is going crazy (in the driveway). I jump up, race outside in my underwear w/aluminum bat in hand, and see nothing 'cept the car lights flashing.

Head back inside and grab some pants and to look for the keys. Didn't find the keys so I walk back out and do a once-around. Nothing out of the ordinary...no prints on the glass, or pry marks on the doors & cylinder. I figure electrical gremlins are wreaking havoc, or one of the cats managed to lay on/press the panic button somehow.

This morning, I go to take the kids to school and notice "Theft Attempted" displayed on the DIC, which was no surprise, but it was followed by "Hood Open." I get out and notice that, yes, the hood is ajar...and there is a hole in my ******* grill! Some sonofabitch cut a pathway out of the plastic grill to try to get to the hood latch. They left the cutout sitting a few feet from the car...."thanks," i guess?

Only God knows what they were after...could be the car as a whole, or just the AVIC-D3 & V1. I figure they were hoping to pop the hood, disco the battery or cut the horn, and go about their business. In the end, they left me feeling uneasy, and with a $80 repair bill

Tonight, I patched the hole with the cutout using a couple black twist ties and a zip tie painted black with a sharpie. I won't have the replacement grill until next week sometime, so I needed to do SOMETHING with it.

FWIW, I took a look at what's behind the grill and you cannot even get to the hood latch. There is a plastic shield behind the grill...likely to prevent this from happening.

Anyway...here are a couple pics:

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um isnt your lever to release on the passenger side of the car like the GXP's. I hate F-ing
theaves. Glad nothign got taken.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL what idiots....I'm sorry its probably not funny for you Chris, but really? These guys must be retarded.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately, they did approach the matter correctly. Assuming you had an alarm, they went for the grill, which can usually be cut or popped off without setting off the alarm. If they could open the hood quickly and cut the primary electrical wire, the 1 or 2 alarm blips may not have woken you up. They then have ALL the time they need with the car to open it up and take whatever's inside. If they're pros, they would have rapidly disconnected the battery, pulled the alarm fuse, then plugged the battery back in and drove off to some place so they could dissassemble and sell of the parts from your car. Good thing they didn't pull any of that off. I had a friend who found his car... or just the chassis of it
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry about this Chris. But keep your guard up they tried once they may try again!!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about it man, I've had two cars broken into and it sucks. Literally "BROKEN" into. brick through the rear windshield of my cobalt and the trunk of my first car and passenger door lock crowbarred. Just makes you wish you could catch the guy and string him up by the ***** from a tall flag pole. Hope that atleast cheers you up a little. Look at the brightside, you can always experiment with the broken grill with mesh or something to make a unique grill for it. Maybe.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

daaaaamn man, that sucks!

they take your front plate??? I see the holes there for it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Launching!

That Sucks.
Chris,
Are you using an after market alarm or just the factory?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

buy the aftermarket one that goes off if a cat walks by it
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

that sucks. i only live an hour from buffalo. if i were you i would go get a cheap little shotgun or something to use instead of the baseball bat in case it happens again. they may have a gun. get a motion light also.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

You can get an 8-shot mossberg pistol-grip pump for 200 bucks that's my home/car defense lol
Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
daaaaamn man, that sucks!

they take your front plate??? I see the holes there for it...
No, I took that myself

Originally Posted by bigboy3l
That Sucks.
Chris,
Are you using an after market alarm or just the factory?
Factory alarm.

There's a HPS (high pressure sodium) lamp on my neighbors house that illuminates the area between the houses where the car sits...but since the car was facing in, no one from the street could see them anyway. Plus, I don't have good line of sight to my car from my house...there are only a couple windows on the driveway side, and neither would have given me a good look at it.

Puggerton...some canadian & wny members of NAIOA are planning a BYO BBQ meet on 5/2 (rain date of 5/16) somewhere on the US side of the border (somewhere between Buffalo & Lewiston...didn't pin down a location yet). Feel free to join up there, regardless of what you're driving.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely sucks. That hole was pretty big I couldn't tell just how big it was from the text you sent me. What's this...the second time now? I remember them trying to get your D3 before.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scumbags.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Definitely sucks. That hole was pretty big I couldn't tell just how big it was from the text you sent me. What's this...the second time now? I remember them trying to get your D3 before.
Yeah, when my mother in law was in Hospice care back in September, the wife went somewhere and then parked back in the lot. I went out later that evening and noticed that the D3 was loose, and the radio bezel was partially cracked. She didn't remember or notice anything wrong when she drove back to Hospice, but I could only imagine where her head was, given the circumstances. What goes to show that these people haven't got a clue...they spent enough time on the radio, but could have reached up and yanked the $400 V1 off the windshield near the mirror.

I gotta say...thinking about that one too...I'm a lucky ****. Twice they were able to get into something, but twice they struck out. Let's hope the third time's NOT the charm.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sucks man - especially when they f-up your stuff and you have to pay a deductible to get it repaired. Disrespectful.

I also don't recommend charging out with the baseball bat over a car - call 911 and let the police handle them. Just like what was said, a bat is no match for a crackhead with a gun. Your kids need a Dad.

And guys leave the shotgun inside - don't need a brandishing charge back at you. Plus you'd end up on Cops running around your neighborhood in your underwear with a shotgun. Tazer time.

Get a CCW for personal protection.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just drag them back on to your property.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Neil, you're the man LOL I like the way you think!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the make my day law in colorado. Your property u can have a gun to protect it.