LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS1 intake here I come!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 intake here I come!!!!!

Ok so I just picked up an LS1 intake for $60. I am trying to find another rail and stock injectors to mod so I don't have to much down time as this is my daily driver. I was thinking about using the LS2 valley cover but I'm not to sure what all I need to do to make it work. I think I am going to try to relocate the power steering res. as well so I don't have to mod the intake too much. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

search for the relevant posts in this section. Lots of people have tried lots of things.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't mean to bust your bubble but by not going with the LS2 or LS6 intake your gypping yourself of 10-15hp.

On another note, a couple people have completed the swap. I would assume the LS1 swap would be similar to the LS6 swap. Try doing a search on the topic.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Well my bad I did search and read but guess I missed This part.

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Here's a pic of the OPSU adapter from SMC on my LS2 valley cover.

and truck throttle body on the ls6 manifold:

I have also tried going to the SMC site to check there valley cover out but it says there updating the site.

And yes I know I could have gone with the LS6 manifold but then I would have had to spend $300 more and I don't have cash like that. So I will do what I can afford. But thanks for the helpful info.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://store.katechengines.com/oil-p...take-p148.aspx
Old 03-01-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I just found that looking at some old threads but thanks for the link
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Sean or email at the SMC number listed on their site, he will give you pricing and set you up.

Originally Posted by Haulin_Ls4_GxP
Well my bad I did search and read but guess I missed This part.

I have also tried going to the SMC site to check there valley cover out but it says there updating the site.

And yes I know I could have gone with the LS6 manifold but then I would have had to spend $300 more and I don't have cash like that. So I will do what I can afford. But thanks for the helpful info.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Supercat did you tap and pluge the 8 holes below the valley cover for the dod or no?

Last edited by Haulin_Ls4_GxP; 03-01-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so tonight I got the fuel rail and injectors fitted to the intake, and also got the end sealed up next i'm gonna take car of the vac. fittings in the manifold neck whick shouldn't be too bad.

Here are some pictures

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Should be a nice a upgrade over stock and on a 5.3 possibly be better then a LS6 intake with a stock cam.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so I need an answer on this. Does it matter how deep the injector sits in the hold on the manifold?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

you'll need to use the ls1 injector o rings I believe. So yes!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure you understand what I mean. You can use the stock injectors they fit fine I'm talking about how deep they sit in the injector boss. The reason I ask is because the stock mounting points from the ls4 fuel rail are different then the ls1 mounting points.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

The bore sizes are different so that's what I'm talking about. All you need to do is use some fender washers or some flat stock to mount the fuel rail. there's a few on this sit how have done the Ls6 swap and went that route. Good luck man
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Default LS1/6 manifold/fuel rail fit

Actually bore sizes are the same ,the stock LS4 injectors and O rings fit fine in the LS6 manifold I got. CAUTION: Do not soak the injectors with the O rings attached in carb or fuel injector cleaner, the O rings will become the size of bagels lolol and use only real GM O rings if replacing them, the Felpros are not the same. The injectors should seat completely down into the manifold. The mounting tabs on stock LS4 fuel rail as you found out do not line up with LS1/6 manifolds. I used fender washers, soldered to fuel rail tabs. The tabs should still be contacting the tops of LS1/6 manifold mounting points, but holes won't line up.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake here I come!!!!!-1-wholea.jpg   LS1 intake here I come!!!!!-2-teea.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Launching!

As you can see, I did not want to try and carve up the top of my manifold to let LS4 fuel rail fit and bending the cross over tube on the LS4 fuel rail was not going great for me either, so I cut off the cross over and and soldered some fittings and used flexible fuel push lock rubber tubing with push lock fittings rated at 250 psi. I also used a truck electric TB as it was a direct fit to LS6 manifold. It is 78mm, same as LS4 except it needs a 4" air tube instead of LS4's 3.25" air tube. I am using a silicone 45 degree reducing elbow and spacer to attach to stock MAF. Try and keep MAF in same relative distance from manifold as stock. If you use the truck TB you need to rewire the stock electric connecting cable or make an adapter cable like I did. The wires are oriented differently.
Also as you can see, I tapped the truck TB and thread in 2 brass hose fittings, one (1/2") for power brake vacuum line and one (3/8") for PCV vacuum line both of which you lose when going to LS1/6 manifold.

Last edited by Tappeter; 03-31-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tappeter
Actually bore sizes are the same ,the stock LS4 injectors and O rings fit fine in the LS6 manifold I got. CAUTION: Do not soak the injectors with the O rings attached in carb or fuel injector cleaner, the O rings will become the size of bagels lolol and use only real GM O rings if replacing them, the Felpros are not the same. The injectors should seat completely down into the manifold. The mounting tabs on stock LS4 fuel rail as you found out do not line up with LS1/6 manifolds. I used fender washers, soldered to fuel rail tabs. The tabs should still be contacting the tops of LS1/6 manifold mounting points, but holes won't line up.
Originally Posted by Tappeter
As you can see, I did not want to try and carve up the top of my manifold to let LS4 fuel rail fit and bending the cross over tube on the LS4 fuel rail was not going great for me either, so I cut off the cross over and and soldered some fittings and used flexible fuel push lock rubber tubing with push lock fittings rated at 250 psi. I also used a truck electric TB as it was a direct fit to LS6 manifold. It is 78mm, same as LS4 except it needs a 4" air tube instead of LS4's 3.25" air tube. I am using a silicone 45 degree reducing elbow and spacer to attach to stock MAF. Try and keep MAF in same relative distance from manifold as stock. If you use the truck TB you need to rewire the stock electric connecting cable or make an adapter cable like I did. The wires are oriented differently.
Also as you can see, I tapped the truck TB and thread in 2 brass hose fittings, one (1/2") for power brake vacuum line and one (3/8") for PCV vacuum line both of which you lose when going to LS1/6 manifold.
I know what you mean about the rail. I know what you did with it will work just fine but I didn't like the way it looked. Either way you came up with a way to fix a problem and I respect that. I'm going to finish the intake swap and then start on the fast intake set up after that I’m going to do a nitrous set up. Word has it Zex is coming out with a new system that works just like the carb plate set up to where it sprays out the entire perimeter of the plate. So it should be sweet.

Thanks for the help. Do you have the wiring diagrams for the truck tb and where did you get the connectors?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't understand why you are using a LS1 manifold when the LS6 one can be obtained for much more performance.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I don't understand why you are using a LS1 manifold when the LS6 one can be obtained for much more performance.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Should be a nice a upgrade over stock and on a 5.3 possibly be better then a LS6 intake with a stock cam.
I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money against this one.

Quick Reply: LS1 intake here I come!!!!!