LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Fooling DoD...DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fooling DoD...DONE!!

Trying to figure out a way to turn off DoD, without tuning it out all together. If I can do this, I can make a "sport mode" switch.
Taken from the info thread:

Listed below are the powertrain conditions that will inhibit V4 mode, while operating under light load driving conditions:
-Engine manifold vacuum low
-Brake booster vacuum pressure low
-Accelerator pedal position rate of increase too high, electronic throttle control
-Accelerator pedal position too high, electronic throttle control
etc...

the question is, can I simulate a condition without throwing any codes or altering the fuel mapping/timing.

How about Brake booster vacuum pressure. I should be able to fool that one pretty easily. What I don't know is if the ecm changes anything to try and build more vacuum (is that possible?).
I know if it were reading no pressure, it would throw a code, but maybe there is a threshold that will shut off DoD but not alarm.
I just hope someone can tell me if it will affect mapping.

Last edited by jderou_GXP; 05-22-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a tune, much easier!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

You misunderstand, I don't want to eliminate DoD. I still want to use it for most highway trips!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

This would be a cool mod if possible!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

I've thought about this too, I'd love to have something like a switch on the dash to turn it on and off. I find it rather annoying driving around town but really like the mpg going down the highway.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

still better off and a lot easier to tune it...

changing tunes takes all of about 20 seconds with a predator or trinity...

install the Diablo Tune No DOD tune for all your regular driving... and when you're going on a highway drive/trip, install the regular Diablo Tune so that you have the DOD available, and away you go...

or, just put the car in 3 for around town... DOD doesn't come on in 3rd... have to be in D....

so, in 3 around town, and in D on the highway...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
still better off and a lot easier to tune it...

changing tunes takes all of about 20 seconds with a predator or trinity...

install the Diablo Tune No DOD tune for all your regular driving... and when you're going on a highway drive/trip, install the regular Diablo Tune so that you have the DOD available, and away you go...

or, just put the car in 3 for around town... DOD doesn't come on in 3rd... have to be in D....

so, in 3 around town, and in D on the highway...
DOD/AFM works in 3rd and 4th gear on the GXP.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I think I will just try it. I have an led wired in to tell me when DoD is activated (I will post pics when I get the install cleaned up. I was amazed how much of the time it is active, and how seemless the transition is). I will wire a pot into the pressure sensor (not sure if series or parallel yet), and increase or decrease resistance while driving until the led goes off, then see if I get any alarms. I am assuming this is a pressure sensor and not a pressure switch? I hope...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GXP25
DOD/AFM works in 3rd and 4th gear on the GXP.
It is also active when cruising around town, contrary to what I have read. It doesn't disable until you get below around 15 mph.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well that blows.. heh...

doesn't do it on the Monte's/Impala's... has to be in D....

well, you could still just tweak it with a custom tune... I've done it for people... you adjust the characteristics of the DOD/AFM operation... i.e. adjust the vacuum settings, the % throttle settings, the rpms at which it's "allowed" to operate, etc etc..

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
well that blows.. heh...

doesn't do it on the Monte's/Impala's... has to be in D....

well, you could still just tweak it with a custom tune... I've done it for people... you adjust the characteristics of the DOD/AFM operation... i.e. adjust the vacuum settings, the % throttle settings, the rpms at which it's "allowed" to operate, etc etc..
does that include at certain mph, for example at 55 and above dod kicks in. 55 and under 8 cyl mode all the time?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd really like an ON, OFF, and AUTO option in the DIC.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

DOD drives me nuts, especially with my exhaust drone. I wish it only came on in forth gear at speeds above 50 while cruising. What if we just unplug the connector going into the valley tray? Engine check light I would assume but has anyone tried?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

DOD I tried it Saturday in third and it stayed in V8 mode all the time even above 55
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
does that include at certain mph, for example at 55 and above dod kicks in. 55 and under 8 cyl mode all the time?
in the diablo cmr software, it goes by rpms, throttle position, rpms by gear, etc etc...

Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mels SS
DOD I tried it Saturday in third and it stayed in V8 mode all the time even above 55
one time i forgot to shift it to drive and got up to 125 mph while in 3rd lol
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
DOD drives me nuts, especially with my exhaust drone. I wish it only came on in forth gear at speeds above 50 while cruising. What if we just unplug the connector going into the valley tray? Engine check light I would assume but has anyone tried?
I read where someone tried that. When it tried to turn on DoD, it failed miserably lol.

I think you could probably just unplug the brake booster sensor, but I don't want a fault code.

Has anyone here ever had the previous generation GTP? I would really like to have the shifter **** those had with the sport mode button on it (which I swear didn't do anything on mine). Wonder if it would fit? Guess I'll worry about then when I figure out if this works.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can adjust the tune so DOD only activates in 4th gear. No more annoying helicopter sound driving around town, but still have it on the highway.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, you should probably post this in the PCM tuning section, it's going to take a lot of know how to get this to work. I see what you're saying though, use the performance shift to command the DOD on/ off. I don't see how it's going to work though. From what I can see you would have to fool the computer somehow but the sensors it uses to command DOD on/ off are very important and you would experience undesireable results if you skewed them. Someone really good with computers might be able to help though.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No fooling around required, just change a flag value for third gear in two dod disable tables = done.

**edit**
Here's a pic of the tables - change the indicated zero's to "1"

Fooling DoD...DONE!!-dod-tables.gif

Last edited by TiredGXP; 05-18-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Fooling DoD...DONE!!