LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

in a pickel about my cutout...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in a pickel about my cutout...

So I have had my cutout for about 5 months now (still in the box lol), but I have been debating putting it on or not. The only time I would have it open is at the track, and I was wondering if it's even worth putting on? Are any of you noticing any gains from it being wide open? FYI, I was planning on putting it before the Y split. Also, I went to get a quote on getting it installed and they told me $200...Fair Price?? If I do not feel the need for putting it on, I will most likely be selling it in the classifieds. BTW, it's the QTP electric low profile cutout with oval turn-down.

P.S. I say the only time it will be open is at the track, but I first have to find time to actually go to the track HAHA...
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
So I have had my cutout for about 5 months now (still in the box lol), but I have been debating putting it on or not. The only time I would have it open is at the track, and I was wondering if it's even worth putting on? Are any of you noticing any gains from it being wide open? FYI, I was planning on putting it before the Y split. Also, I went to get a quote on getting it installed and they told me $200...Fair Price?? If I do not feel the need for putting it on, I will most likely be selling it in the classifieds. BTW, it's the QTP electric low profile cutout with oval turn-down.

P.S. I say the only time it will be open is at the track, but I first have to find time to actually go to the track HAHA...
alright man first off, i love where i placed mine, right before the Y about equal with the front of the back tire. i absolutely love the sounds, i keep mine open all the time. i think if you put it there you would keep it open alot more. i can feel a significant gain in top end. next, i paid $80 to get my cutout welded in also replacing my res. with straight pipe so 200 IMO is high. BUT if you plan on only using it at the track i would get it on the down pipe.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

$200 is kinda high for a hour to 2 hour (max) job.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
BUT if you plan on only using it at the track i would get it on the down pipe.
Oh I def would put it on the DP, but it would set off the CEL and I would fail inspection. NY blows LOL. As far as the price goes, he would also run the line to my interior, and he was saying that he needs to drop my exhaust to cut and weld it on. One thing I do not want to do is keep opening and closing it because the motor will run out. When I start my car in the morning I don't want to wake the neighbors up LOL. Yeah, I'm weird like that, but hey I wouldn't want to be woken up at 5am every morning due to a loud car either HAHA.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

The DP would cause the CEL to come on, not the cutout unless you keep it open. If it did come on while it was open (say you were at the track) you could just reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for I believe 10 minutes and that would clear the CEL.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you hear the car with the cutout open, you'll keep it open..... a lot!

I paid $50 to have mine installed, by the same guys that installed my magnaflow cat-back.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Guess I was lucky, my local muffler shop only charged me $30 to weld my cutout in. I put it before the Y pipe just inside the right rear tire and I also made a small turndown for it. Sounds great and when you want quiet, you can shut it off also impresses folks. I can feel a definate improvement with it open, I have a Monte SS so I put the switch in the back of the little storage hole in the front end of console and wired to the acc outlet (cigarette lighter hole) next to it. Very stealth, can't see the switch very easily.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

so do all you guys live in no emissions states or do they not care as long as it's after the cat?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cully77
so do all you guys live in no emissions states or do they not care as long as it's after the cat?
From what I've read is that swapping the DP is easy. I's consider our inspection here in NJ pretty tough. I'm considering the noncatted dp and getting the bolt on version instead of the weld in one.

edit: as far as cutouts go i don't see any problem with having one. close the cutout and clear any codes before you get inspected.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you get your cutout you will love it. and 200 is high! way to high. And they do not need to drop any exhaust. shop around and see whats what
Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
Oh I def would put it on the DP, but it would set off the CEL and I would fail inspection. NY blows LOL. As far as the price goes, he would also run the line to my interior, and he was saying that he needs to drop my exhaust to cut and weld it on. One thing I do not want to do is keep opening and closing it because the motor will run out. When I start my car in the morning I don't want to wake the neighbors up LOL. Yeah, I'm weird like that, but hey I wouldn't want to be woken up at 5am every morning due to a loud car either HAHA.
First off...where in Buffalo are you?

Secondly, who'd you go to? I'd recommend MufflerMan on Delaware...but I suppose they'd be on the higher-side of the price line. I had them weld up my Magnaflow exhaust and swap in the TBSS tips...I think I paid $160.

I could see them charging about an hours labor to (safely/securely) run the wire to a power source and then to the cabin...and about an hour to weld in the actual Y pipe and cutout. At about $85/hr, that would get you near that $200 range.

I've been wanting an e-cutout for some time now, but household bills and other repairs have nixed that idea.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
First off...where in Buffalo are you?

Secondly, who'd you go to? I'd recommend MufflerMan on Delaware...but I suppose they'd be on the higher-side of the price line. I had them weld up my Magnaflow exhaust and swap in the TBSS tips...I think I paid $160.

I could see them charging about an hours labor to (safely/securely) run the wire to a power source and then to the cabin...and about an hour to weld in the actual Y pipe and cutout. At about $85/hr, that would get you near that $200 range.

I've been wanting an e-cutout for some time now, but household bills and other repairs have nixed that idea.
I live in Cheektowaga, but I went to Jim Deans Off Road in Elma to get the quote. I went to a Cole Muffler and they said try a performance shop. Then I went to Kustom Workz and they said try Jim Deans LOL. So that's where I went. But yeah it looks like I'm gonna have to shop around a bit.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Florida has no emissions law but I have a catted DP so that I don't have to deal with the exhaust smell..