LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone repaint their stock calipers on a GXP with a different color???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone repaint their stock calipers on a GXP with a different color???

So my car is out of warranty, and the calipers are starting to flake pretty bad to the point where I was going to re-paint them this spring. Here's the thing though, I'd really like to paint them glossy black over the factory red. I don't care about the GXP logo (it's half gone anyway) but with the "bleen" color, and dark GXP badges, I figured black might be better than red anyway.

Anyone done this? Or thoughts on the color choice? I figured 2 coats would hide the red completely.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine are black, put one thick coat of the caliper paint in a can, not spray, two would've looked better. I'll be redoing them, since I just painted the front and top of them.

Black is a good, subtle color. Unless you want to color match them to the car.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

mine are red still lol but i know someone who painted them black looked good.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I painted mine blue and bought the small gxp stickers off ebay. I think it looks pretty sweet with blue calipers on a blue car. And no one else has blue.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Teching In

hopefully added a pic
Attached Thumbnails Anyone repaint their stock calipers on a GXP with a different color???-getattachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think a darker blue would've looked better, but it's different.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

You guys with paint peeling, must have used some really nasty wheel cleaner. I'm at 55k and my calipers are dirty, but the paint looks great. They are powder coated from down under. This is much more durable then parts store, rattle can paint. Differnt colors would look cool... But the red matches the Pontiac emblem and red lighting.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
You guys with paint peeling, must have used some really nasty wheel cleaner. I'm at 55k and my calipers are dirty, but the paint looks great. They are powder coated from down under. This is much more durable then parts store, rattle can paint. Differnt colors would look cool... But the red matches the Pontiac emblem and red lighting.
You have an '08.

There was a problem with earlier models where only the white paint ("GXP" portion) would fade/flake away/off.

I have two very faint "GXP"s. Kind of like Marty McFly and his siblings from BTTF II.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXP25
You have an '08.

There was a problem with earlier models where only the white paint ("GXP" portion) would fade/flake away/off.

I have two very faint "GXP"s. Kind of like Marty McFly and his siblings from BTTF II.
06 and everthing looks good except for my front bumper. Its all chipped out!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

06 and everthing looks good except for my front bumper. Its all chipped out!
My bad on completely misreading your sig. I honestly [and really always] thought you had an '08.

But yeah, early models meaning '05s and early '06s (like mine which was built in '05).

I'm not saying all were bad, but there were enough to get GM and PBR on the issue.

There was a thread on ClubGP a while back about this.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have thought about doing this as my "GXP" is completely gone you can only see the outline up close. I was going to do either black or red again. black would hide more brake dust though
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXP25
My bad on completely misreading your sig. I honestly [and really always] thought you had an '08.

But yeah, early models meaning '05s and early '06s (like mine which was built in '05).

I'm not saying all were bad, but there were enough to get GM and PBR on the issue.

There was a thread on ClubGP a while back about this.
I do rember reading about this before. I've always kept a close eye on my calipers after each wash. Guess I got lucky
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do rember reading about this before. I've always kept a close eye on my calipers after each wash. Guess I got lucky
Don't count those chicks until they've hatched!

I also read the thread and thought I was lucky too. Then they began to fade!

GrafxWerks makes a decal, however, I've seen it on a few people's cars and I feel they're slightly a little too big when compared to stock.

http://www.grafxwerks.com/shop_detai...pid=GPGX2-1487

FYI: The pictures on their site are of the "Large" decal and they're on a Solstice (yes they're fugly). When ordering, you'd want "Regular White" and "Small."

EDIT: GrafxWerks decal (nvmygtp's) vs. Stock painted logo (Robert W. Stencel's):

From Rizzle's 2005 GXP:

Intact:

Flaking away:

So I was doing a little digging over at ClubGP (man that search sucks) and found a thread from '06 relating to the logo issue.

I did a search for the document ID in the service manual:

I believe the original bulletin stated to do nothing.

I'll be heading to the dealership tomorrow to find out what's up because I've already complained about the issue last year some time (maybe even two years ago) and mentioned a TSB and even the paint issue. I was turned down as they couldn't find anything.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah my logo's are gone, but it's the actual caliper paint that's chipping. I'm either re-painting red, or completely re-painting all black....

Quick Reply: Anyone repaint their stock calipers on a GXP with a different color???