LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS1/LS2/LS6 intake swap Sticky!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks dave, i wish i was a engineer then i could make the big bucks just have the ability to combine work and play every once in a while.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone give a little insight to splitting up the DOD connector and how far it really needs to be taken down?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little late, but this is the best thread ever period. Thanks to Dave and anyone else involved! Dom you stuff is looking good too!

Question, wouldn't the best thing to do for a throttle body, for making more power, be to convert to a cable style? Pedal assemblies can be had at a junk yard cheap, and the throttle bodies themselves are cheaper especially if you want something giant to support big power. And the tuning for that is simple.

Also, those stock LS6 injectors, how much power are they good for? And any ideas on prettier fuel rails that fit?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
I'm a little late, but this is the best thread ever period. Thanks to Dave and anyone else involved! Dom you stuff is looking good too!

Question, wouldn't the best thing to do for a throttle body, for making more power, be to convert to a cable style? Pedal assemblies can be had at a junk yard cheap, and the throttle bodies themselves are cheaper especially if you want something giant to support big power. And the tuning for that is simple.

Also, those stock LS6 injectors, how much power are they good for? And any ideas on prettier fuel rails that fit?
Converting to a cable operated TB is no easy task and would cost a small fortune. You would need a ECM, pedal, cable, TB, and serious tuning. I also think the crank sensor would need to be changed too in order to use the older style ECM.

The LS6 injectors are good for 450+ crank HP on our engine. There are LS6 Vettes pushing over 400 whp running stock injectors.

FIC sells adapters that will allow the use of the LS4 mini injectors for use with a LS6 rail, and intake. The adapters fit over the tops of the stock injectors and uses thicker lower O-rings. New LS6 injectors can be bought for less then 150.00. You would still need to use the LS6 style rail with either injector.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Converting to a cable operated TB is no easy task and would cost a small fortune. You would need a ECM, pedal, cable, TB, and serious tuning. I also think the crank sensor would need to be changed too in order to use the older style ECM.

The LS6 injectors are good for 450+ crank HP on our engine. There are LS6 Vettes pushing over 400 whp running stock injectors.

FIC sells adapters that will allow the use of the LS4 mini injectors for use with a LS6 rail, and intake. The adapters fit over the tops of the stock injectors and uses thicker lower O-rings. New LS6 injectors can be bought for less then 150.00. You would still need to use the LS6 style rail with either injector.
I'm building a new motor anyway because of the new trans' bell housing bolt pattern going to use an LS2 or a 5.3 aluminum truck block bored out to 5.7. So I'm gonna go for some bigger injectors.

I need a new E67 ECM to make the trans work as well. Then I save money on the TB vs getting a stock 90mm and having it ported. But IDK just tossing around options. I really want to run some billet fuel rails to dress it up a bit. My best friend is a dyno tuner too, so I want to give him a challenge anyways
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

Keep you stock ecm and send the ls6 intake off to t.p.i.s and have them plastic Weld a ls2 90mm inlet. Then use the ls2 tb and maf. (bolt-on)

You will need to modify the DT headers, crossover pipe in order to gain clearence. Make sure you use the bellhousing adapter. The block will be pushed towards the presenger fenderwell about 1/8-1/4 of an inch. You'll have room, as long the engine gets installed from underneath.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Keep you stock ecm and send the ls6 intake off to t.p.i.s and have them plastic Weld a ls2 90mm inlet. Then use the ls2 tb and maf. (bolt-on)

You will need to modify the DT headers, crossover pipe in order to gain clearence. Make sure you use the bellhousing adapter. The block will be pushed towards the presenger fenderwell about 1/8-1/4 of an inch. You'll have room, as long the engine gets installed from underneath.
thanks for the info on the intake/TB

I would keep my stock ECU if it would work with the 6T75

also, i wont need the adapter plate, i could use a spacer i guess if i really need the clearance
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i got a little more headway toward doing the swap. i bought a brand new GM alt bracket and cut it up on a band saw today. Im gonna smooth out the edges and send it out for powder coating soon. i had a buddy cut and weld the new position for the OPSU. did it a little different than stated here. i like the location of how this is done, just hope it all works out in the long run. wont know till its on the car. BTW im gonna sand the OPSU area down a little and shoot the whole thing with black paint because dirty aluminum is ugly.

Name:  IMG_4591.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4594.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4596.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  89.5 KB
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

question i have for whoever would know. there are plastic inserts in the valley tray at each hole where the bolts go through. I am missing like 5 or 6 of these inserts, as you can see the 2 by the OPSU port are gone, and need to know what these were for? are they a cheap retainer so you dont need loose the bolts, or are they for something else? and lastly, do i need them? i woudlnt think so, but would like to know so before committing to putting this on.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Couple steps forward tonight. I sanded the intake down with an angle die grinder and washed it the whole thing down with hit water then some brake clean to get all the old gummed up stuff out. Tore the old MAP sensor bracket out as well. I also boxed up my alternator bracket and its going put to powder coat tomorrow. So I need to plug the back and possibly trim around the throttle bracing area on the intake. Its a tight fit to where the OPSU is welded and the neck of the intake and don't want problems last minute when installing it. And plug the old vacuum port on the neck area as well.

Name:  2012-04-16_20-27-49_56.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  110.7 KB
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Your getting close!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I'm actually getting pretty excited to do thisbecause with it comes a tune and I think this thing will wake up quite a bit from 100% stock to tune/intake
Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

It will wake up a lot. The swap adds power across the band not just peak.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not much to report, but I got the alt bracket back from.the powder coater and it looks awesome. Can't even tell where I cut it up. That little bit of work smoothing it all out made it look a lot nicer.

Name:  2012-05-01_16-56-49_735.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  75.4 KB
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking alternator bracket,wishing would have taken the time on mine.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Question regarding fast intake... does the "hump" u discussed only make contact with the power steering tank? I'm thinking of just making longer lines and relocating the radiator support. In order to utilize a fast intake
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

any updates on this?
Also, I was wondering if instead of replacing the vacuum port on the back of the intake with a freeze plug why not make a piece that can go in its place, use the stock oring & fit the map in it. This is a better spot for the the map instead of near the tb.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Question regarding fast intake... does the "hump" u discussed only make contact with the power steering tank? I'm thinking of just making longer lines and relocating the radiator support. In order to utilize a fast intake
as far as i can tell that is the only major issue. im STILL waiting on my buddy that has a FAST intake to let me poke around and see what all needs done. there's a couple nipples that look to also need trimmed off and sealed with epoxy back there too.

longer lines and a PS Res relocation would be the best was to go about making the additional room required. side effect of possibly running it a few degrees cooler as well not being right up on the engine like that.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fubar569
as far as i can tell that is the only major issue. im STILL waiting on my buddy that has a FAST intake to let me poke around and see what all needs done. there's a couple nipples that look to also need trimmed off and sealed with epoxy back there too.

longer lines and a PS Res relocation would be the best was to go about making the additional room required. side effect of possibly running it a few degrees cooler as well not being right up on the engine like that.
Even with those mods, I am sure there will still be fitment issues. The PS pump will probably be in the way. Test the intake and let us know though!

I don't think that anyone on here (including myself) has enough supporting mods to benifit the FAST
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Even with those mods, I am sure there will still be fitment issues. The PS pump will probably be in the way. Test the intake and let us know though!

I don't think that anyone on here (including myself) has enough supporting mods to benifit the FAST
as soon as i have the intake i'll be doing some comparisons with a factory LS1 and LS4 intake. I'm THIS close to just buying the LS1 swap here on the forum for now and just installing the FAST when i get time. That way 90% of the hard stuff is already done.

Only one issue with that is i'm currently in a guns/ammo/reloading/etc buying spree just incase SHTF soon. i'm well up over a cam swap and close to a CarTuning turbo kit in total spent in 2 months.

Quick Reply: LS1/LS2/LS6 intake swap Sticky!!!