LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

WORKING fender vents........

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WORKING fender vents........

working fender vents...........

wondering if anyone has done this or if it is even feasible, to make the vents into working vents to keep the engine bay a little cooler
looking for some ideas weather just to cut a passage or fab up some kind of duct work what are your thoughts
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had thought about this, couldn't make up my mind on how it would look, over all I think Id have to pass on it.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

inside our out side the gxp already has them in the fender but there dummys
Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I missed the fact that you were talking about a GXP, if that were the case id probably go through with it, since it wouldnt make a big visible change. Would you want to make them larger or add more or just make the dummies functional? Shouldnt be too hard as long as you have the patience and decent tools for it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

The vents do work. I read about them on another forum. ClubGP was the site if I recall... and there was an article they had posted from some engineers.
I'll look into it..

Hot air vents, from the front fender/core support area and exits thru shrouded side honeycomb vents.

They basically work like door jab vents.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 03-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine disperse a little heat, they have little rubber louvers on the inner part that I cut out, so I could put my signal in there.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are cosmetic..there is no ducting from the engine bay to the fender really..

did you know the lower vents under the foglights were supposed to be break ducts? Or so I heard.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Supposed to be brake ducts, that don't go to the brakes, lol. But, yeah, that's why they are there.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea im thinking about taking the hole saw, popping the vents out and drill baby drill

the 115 degree heat out hear sucks a$$ and even with the trans cooler things are still running warmer that i want and its only in the 80s out here, so if i can get some more air moving though there cool
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
They are cosmetic..there is no ducting from the engine bay to the fender really..

did you know the lower vents under the foglights were supposed to be break ducts? Or so I heard.
pulled my fender off yesterday. they are not dummy vents. you see right through them, but they is no ducting, just an open vent.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

works for me then i just assume not mess with it then, its pushing air out at speed then and if nothing else its i like it because of the fwi
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

You can see through them with the fender off, ya, but there still is no passage to that opening from under the hood.. Those vents dont do jack ****... In the cold, I stand at my front grill or by a tire to stay warm outside.. Lol.. The vent extracts 0 heat..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
works for me then i just assume not mess with it then, its pushing air out at speed then and if nothing else its i like it because of the fwi

No offense, but I think you have this backwards. As air flows past the vents at speed, a vacuum would be created due to the differential pressure. This is known as the venturi effect. (see Bernoullis Principal) This is what makes an airplane wing create lift, as the air pressure above the wing is lower than the pressure under the wing due to the difference in velocity of the air below and above the wing.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
No offense, but I think you have this backwards. As air flows past the vents at speed, a vacuum would be created due to the differential pressure. This is known as the venturi effect. (see Bernoullis Principal) This is what makes an airplane wing create lift, as the air pressure above the wing is lower than the pressure under the wing due to the difference in velocity of the air below and above the wing.
same principles in a carb
Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All you have to do is drive your GXP and then put your hand next to the vent to realize that they are partially functional. If you wanted to get clever you could cut some material out and rig up some fans from a laptop or desktop computer and have them blow the air out lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

what your feeling is ambient heat from the wheel well...there is no connection with the fender and the inner part of the engine bay..

Basically what some are saying and its not true..stick one of those Autozone hood scoops on your hood and you got ram air..
Yes there is a hole there in the out fender for the grill part..but it does not lead anywhere. It does not go into the engine bay it does not have access to the bay.

Look at the vents where they are compared to the engine..its near the cowl and not near the engine enough to let heat out. Heat goes up not sideways.

Would I like them to work in some capacity? Sure it would be cool but nothing but cool looking really.

and the brake duct holes..yes I know and I knw there is enough room to get a duct in the front dam to drill a hole and mount a duct kit into it
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Launching!

I BET if they DID work, my rotors wouldnt warp all the time??????..........

Maybe i should just stop using my brakes?..hmmm just down shift everywhere, like a 18-wheeler plan my stops.. lol.....

I wish those vent things did work...

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
what your feeling is ambient heat from the wheel well...there is no connection with the fender and the inner part of the engine bay..

Basically what some are saying and its not true..stick one of those Autozone hood scoops on your hood and you got ram air..
Yes there is a hole there in the out fender for the grill part..but it does not lead anywhere. It does not go into the engine bay it does not have access to the bay.

Look at the vents where they are compared to the engine..its near the cowl and not near the engine enough to let heat out. Heat goes up not sideways.

Would I like them to work in some capacity? Sure it would be cool but nothing but cool looking really.

and the brake duct holes..yes I know and I knw there is enough room to get a duct in the front dam to drill a hole and mount a duct kit into it
Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
exactly, it is creating air flow though the fender to extract some heat keeping the fender cooler and due to the fact that the intake is in there................

or perhaps i need some sleep a 48 hour marathon of work has a way of distorting ones thoughts

Quick Reply: WORKING fender vents........