LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Aftermarket Stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo.

So I know I need to buy the "adapter" to retain door chimes, etc but what am I getting myself into with putting an aftermarket stereo in with the Monsoon system? Do I need to buy some type of line output converter to avoid sending an amped signal to the stock amplifier? I've never attempted putting an aftermarket stereo in a car with a stock amp, and I'm googling as I type this but I was hoping for a more personal experience, lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been about 3 years since I put mine in. I did the pioneer Aviv z3, you need 2 adapters, one for the door chimes and one (that u have to program) for the steering wheel controls. There is a really good write up in the impala forums with lots of pics.. one thing I lost even with the adapters was the date function on the dic and also the radio station channel on the headsup. No biggie
Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now why did you lose those functions just curious
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume they were an original function of the stock hundred where info is stored and when changing it the aftermarket harness' are not vehicle specific as the gxp and Hudson and dic are unique.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I broke down and took the plunge on a new head unit today, a Kenwood DPX308U. I also lost my calendar function and my steering wheel controls... which isn't so bad as they make an adapter for it to get them back. $300 later and still with stock speakers, it sounds pretty damn good inside
Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you post a picture of how it looks?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Absolutely. I took some earlier to show a friend of mine.

This is the snake pit of wires and the adapter

I used crimp connectors and electrical taped the shizz out of them.

This is the finished product. I bought it specifically cause you can change the color of the unit, so I could match the gauges and DIC in the car. It's on sale for $169+tax at Electronic Express.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Wow. I've been debating an upgrade. What is better with the aftermarket vs. stock if it still going through the factory amp and speakers?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That adapter/module thing is $130 at crutch. Yikes.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by heavyft
Wow. I've been debating an upgrade. What is better with the aftermarket vs. stock if it still going through the factory amp and speakers?
You get better signal processing, for one. Stock radios don't have the guts to hit those clear notes like an aftermarket does. Even without changing out the "Monsoon" (read- delphi) speakers in my car it sounds 20 different levels of fantastic.

Another thing is you get functions not previously present- aux input, bluetooth, etc. The only real limit here for outfitting your car with things GM didn't see fit for a 35k car is the size of your wallet. They had some really nice navi units when I went yesterday, but I can live without navi for 700 bucks. A good thing about getting a navi unit though, they make adapters that include functionality to display directions on your HUD just like the factory one would (if you have a HUD ), if the navi you buy supports it. And, I was -finally- able to hook up my 12" JL Audio w3 the RIGHT way instead of doing line level

Originally Posted by neilownz
That adapter/module thing is $130 at crutch. Yikes.
I have no idea why yours is more. Crutchfield shows mine for 99 bucks, Electronic Express gave it to me for 89. Maybe you should try ebay?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are always more expensive.

I was looking at the Rosen GM replacement unit for the ss. Seems nice.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to get one with navi too but for a good one they are like $700-up and thats without out the adaptors, sub, amp, and interior speakers I want.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo.