LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What's the deal with the remote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with the remote?

So since I got my car I've been noticing a drop off in the performance of my remote. When I first got it, it would work everytime. Now, I have to say a prayer to God everytime I want to unlock my car, and all bets are off if I try to remote start it. It isn't the battery, I replaced it today- same problem. What gives?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I can bet dollars to pesos it's the battery clip detaching from the PCB. Look and see if the solder is broken away from the base of the clip if not check the solder in the 2 other contact points. I just fixed 3 out of 4 of my remotes and that was the issue.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's just one of the remotes. Otherwise it may be the module/antenna tsb.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Hey redlight did you just solder them back on or how did you do it? One of my fobs has the same problem and I kind of want to fix it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BeckZ06
Hey redlight did you just solder them back on or how did you do it? One of my fobs has the same problem and I kind of want to fix it.
Yeah I just soldered them back on, just make sure the clip is sitting right on the PCB before you do it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redlightrampage
I can bet dollars to pesos it's the battery clip detaching from the PCB. Look and see if the solder is broken away from the base of the clip if not check the solder in the 2 other contact points. I just fixed 3 out of 4 of my remotes and that was the issue.
i just threw mine today and it hit the ground, wouldnt work after so i opened it up to find battery clip solder broken.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
i just threw mine today and it hit the ground, wouldnt work after so i opened it up to find battery clip solder broken.
Yeah the solder joint is really weak they skimped on the amount of solder which makes no sense to me. You can literally gob it on and it would probably never come off again, the other trace paths aren't that close to that piece so it's not really an issue.

I've never seen a truly damaged component on the board, there isn't a lot going on in that circuit to cause problems.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what it was- 12 dollars at RadioShack later and I can now start my car from the comfort of my bed again thanks for the pointers. I would've torn the car apart looking for the transmitter before i would've thought of the battery clip. I did notice it was loose when I changed it but I guess i forgot how finicky electronics are
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Sweet good deal!