LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What is so "outdated" about the Impala styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is so "outdated" about the Impala styling?

I know just bought mine about 2 months ago but I don't think its outdated at all. Yes it is kinda simple but I thing that's a good thing in a way. I know its been the same since 2006 but it doesn't look old or outdated at all. I think it has a aggressive stance its I think it looks great! This is coming from someone who used to have a Mustang and I just dont get what a lot of these bad reviews are saying. Iyho what do you guys think?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im sorry but i agree with the reviews a hundred percent. people like to have something new. there is no way for it to compete with other cars if they dont change the body style. people want everyone else to know or just to have self satisfaction that they got a brand new car and everyone can tell by looking at it. im not about to buy a brand new impala when you can just get a 2006 and not even tell the difference.

its a nice car,reliable and nice high output v6 , but it needs to change. you can only keep the same body style for so long. hell the sebring ( 200) looks alot more badass then the impala, same with the camry
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah cause the GP's have changed so much from the comp g to the gxp.

A hole in the fender and slightly larger spoiler I guess count as a change? I don't count rims cause those are easily changed out.

04SS

06ss(please excuse the horrible AFTERMARKET exhaust on this car. It was the best profile one I could find on a quick search.)

Are some of the things on the inside out dated? YES. I like the fact that they don't look like all the newer cars coming out. Most look the same to the point that without badging it's getting hard to tell whats what.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well I was just saying that the imp doesn't look out of style(IMO). Look at how often most foreign cars are redesigned. I feel really bad for people who have accords or Maximas or even Camarys. They change about about 2-3 years and cost a lot more then the Impalas. Even the Ford Fusion is up for a facelift.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Now Now, No harsh feelings!

There were minimal changes, however to be exact....

"Cosmetically, the GXP differs from the other models with more aggressive bodywork including a different front clip, wheel well cooling vents on the front fenders, a different rear bumper, and twin-dual polished exhaust. The Grand Prix GXP also offers a unique feature of the different-width 18-inch (460 mm) polished Alcoa Forged aluminum wheels. The front wheels are eight inches (255 mm) wide, and the rear wheels are seven inches (225 mm) wide."

So,

Fender Vent,
Front and Rear Bumper,
Exhaust,
Spoiler,
Rims,
Suspension....

What else could they change without making a new body?

Hell, The only difference between a LTZ and a SS that I notice is rims (which don't count according to you) and a SS badge. Just saying

No harsh feelings, im just saying my opinion. I do like the interiors of the Imps and Montes. Lastly, we are here about the engines and are all alike in one sense. We drive FWD V8's and love every minute of it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how is comparing the same model year comp g to the grand prix gxp and comparing a completely different model year impala to the next generation impala ss a valid argument at all.
the grand prix gxp and the comp g have alot more differences then the same model year imp and imp ss.
and the fender,side skirts,bumpers,spoiler are diffrent
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hazards280
Now Now, No harsh feelings!

There were minimal changes, however to be exact....

"Cosmetically, the GXP differs from the other models with more aggressive bodywork including a different front clip, wheel well cooling vents on the front fenders, a different rear bumper, and twin-dual polished exhaust. The Grand Prix GXP also offers a unique feature of the different-width 18-inch (460 mm) polished Alcoa Forged aluminum wheels. The front wheels are eight inches (255 mm) wide, and the rear wheels are seven inches (225 mm) wide."

So,

Fender Vent,
Front and Rear Bumper,
Exhaust,
Spoiler,
Rims,
Suspension....

What else could they change without making a new body?

Hell, The only difference between a LTZ and a SS that I notice is rims (which don't count according to you) and a SS badge. Just saying

No harsh feelings, im just saying my opinion. I do like the interiors of the Imps and Montes. Lastly, we are here about the engines and are all alike in one sense. We drive FWD V8's and love every minute of it.
Yeah I agree! I also like the grand prix gxp alot! I really couldnt find a good one with low miles around the Indy area. My original point in this thread was that 06-Impalas do not seem as outdated as some of this magazines and reviews say it is. Chevy obviously did something right since there are a crap ton of imps rolling around town, and the SS seems kinda common too!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to redesign the Impala to look like this, with a 6.0 V8, 6-speed auto/manual trans and rear wheel drive.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I have to say is outdated or not I still get many compliments on my SS.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

they are outdated. Most of the other real competitive manufacturers have updated their mid size sedan EXCEPT GM.

Fords new Fusion.
Chryslers new 300c.
Dodges new Charger.
Toyotas new Camry. (Didnt do much really, but you can see the difference)

Its not just the exterior though, but the interior as well. Lets face it, the interiors on our cars are pretty crappy lol. Not only that but the engine and transmissions as well....210 hp 3.5l v6? I know they just finally put in the respectable 3.6l but come on...and a 4 speed tranny , what is this 1992? lol (i know the 6 speed was just put in...stating this because there have been talks about it being outdated for about 2 years now)

But at the same time the Accord and Altima are starting to look a little dated as well, although nissan did do a refresh to the Altima to help a little bit.

And before someone gets all butthurt let me just say I have an 06 Monte SS as pointed out in my sig...my car before this was an 01 Monte SS that got beat into the ground...my 06 is outdated but i still love it(well hate it at the same time, its a love hate thing)

Last edited by Model16; 02-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fusion is a new model but the Taurus has been completely updated and has been in production a couple years on the new design.

The 300C and the Charger haven't changed since they were introduced in 2005 & 2006.

The Camry was redesigned this year but hardly changed.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Havent changed? They mid cycle refresh they just did on both of them makes them look alot diffedent than the first model years
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

They already redesigned the impala to the above pic. However it's not for civilian use in the states. Even then it's not new, just a g8 with a different bumper.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I think they are calling it the Caprice not positive tho
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the Caprice,but only sold to the government.I've seen on on the streets with dealer plates,but when I called the dealer to see the going price they told me its not sold to the public.That's gay!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Caprice, Impala, same same. Impala just got higher end options.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah you have to be a municipality to purchase a Caprice. We have a few sitting on the lot over here.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is it for them only and not to the public?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
Why is it for them only and not to the public?
Because GM still makes some dumbass decisions.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVfq_oqR83c

Quick Reply: What is so "outdated" about the Impala styling?