LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What is so "outdated" about the Impala styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure they could put the 270 hp 2.0 i4 in the Caprice and sell it for less than the ridiculously overpriced 26,000 they have set as MSRP for the base Impala.. The LT costs 27,200 and the LTZ is over 30,000..Jeez you gotta be high to pay that much for an Impala lol
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most nicely optioned mid size cars are around $30,000 even the Japanese cars. I just looked at a new V6 Charger for my wife and it was $29000 and the ones with the V8 where around $32000.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah but for a base Impala thats nuts...The Camry base is 21,000, the Volkswagen Passat base is 19,995..The Altima base is 20 and the Honda Accord is not much more... all 4 cylinders but still even ones with V6s and nicely optioned are still around 25k. IDK just seems like you can get alot more car for what they want for an Impala...each one listed has more room up front as well, didnt look at back seat room though
Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The American cars usually have more standard features and are a better value.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody pays sticker for an Impala in 2012...They can be had for thousands less than list. Or just get one out of fleet for half price and a few miles.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

How long do you think before we start seeing these for sale at police auctions?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably when they have 200,000 miles on them.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

i read a story that when they first were here in the U.S. 8 of them got into civilians hands..If i remember right they paid low 40s for them..GM found out and closed the "loophole" that allowed them to be sold though
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Launching!

forget the veiws and opinions of the magazines,critics etc i love how the 06-13 impalas look,i dont care how many times honda,ford or toyota redesign their cars they still will suck to me,the new accord is UGLY,the new taurus is UGLY the new camry is UGLY,the previous camry looks way better than the 2012 model,so toyota isnt moving foward they're stepping backwards,the taraus cant be helped at all every ford product is like the designers were drunk and high because everything that comes from ford is garbage,nissan has only 3 good looking products the maxima,altima and armada everything else in their line up is competing with honda,ford,toyota and subaru for the ugliest car award,i dont base my car buying decisions on what magazines,pundants,critics say about the car i like i dont care about gas mileage,im going to drive my WS6 until the wheels fall off and drive it using premium gas the american society has been brainwashed into buying ricers(toyota,honda,subaru) i couldnt live with myself if i drove a ford,honda or toyota and deep in my heart i really wanted to buy a GM product forget what the world thinks about my 06-13 impala ls,lt,ltz,ss i would drive it proudly,i still drive my 05 gtp comp g and i love the car everytime i look at it,grand prixs have swagger,style,finess,sportyness that you just cant find in a well equipped accord,fusion,camry,these cars are eyesores,do you think i care about what a guy in a 2012 ford fusion,honda civic,accord or toyota camry thinks? a camry,civic,fusion are chic cars anyway i dont even want to drive those as a rental give me a GM product toyota,ford,honda,subaru owners MAN UP! nothing about the impalas seem bland or outdated to me,stop judging YOUR car with other ppls opinions
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Model16
Yup even the L67 powered Impalas were faster than the 90s Impalas..

Heres 2013 impala spy spots..

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/14/2...aught-testing/

the interior looks pretty good from what the picture shows
GM needs the drop the idea of a 4cyl engine in the 2013 impala,thats one problem GM has they always try to get on the same page with the competition instead of executing and dominating them,raise the bar GM dammit! try a different and more menacing approach,GM needs designers with BIGGER NUTS some guys that will turn up the heat against the competition,guys who are aggressive,bold and t hat wont settle for nothing less than the best
Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Yeah cause the GP's have changed so much from the comp g to the gxp.

A hole in the fender and slightly larger spoiler I guess count as a change? I don't count rims cause those are easily changed out.

04SS

06ss(please excuse the horrible AFTERMARKET exhaust on this car. It was the best profile one I could find on a quick search.)

Are some of the things on the inside out dated? YES. I like the fact that they don't look like all the newer cars coming out. Most look the same to the point that without badging it's getting hard to tell whats what.
Call me insane but i would drive either of these cars(impala,gxp) before i drive a
2012 ford taurus,fusion
2012 toyota camry
2012 honda accord
2012 subaru impreza
2012 kia optima
i rather drive a 04,05,06 ss,gtp,gxp before i am caught dead in either one of these cars mentioned above u just cant deny the styling of that gxp
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Wow. Someone touch a nerve Fbody? Your emotions may be affecting your objectivity.

Wish we could have sprung for a Taurus SHO when we were replacing our 2004 GP. I drive plenty of them while doing sublet work for area dealerships. Man, those are nice! Too bad they built them on the Lincoln chassis and the price jumped accordingly.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ImpSS07

A hole in the fender and slightly larger spoiler I guess count as a change? I don't count rims cause those are easily changed out.
You forgot the unique GXP front fascia, rear bumper, rocker panels, and suspension that give the GXP a lower ride height than even the CompG. Do brakes count towards styling because they are easily visible?

I think the engineers extended themselves as much as they were allowed to in differentiating the GXP. I appreciate that. The result is still a quality nightmare but it's not their fault. I blame the bean counters.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Not just holes in the fenders, the fender stampings themselves are completely different to cover the wider wheel/tire combo. Much wider. The cars are actually quite a bit different than the standard GP.

Not sticking up for the GXP either. It's my wife's car, not mine. Standard reviews when they came out was "would have been a really cool car...ten years ago." as they were already outdated when they came out.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by teamfbody
GM needs the drop the idea of a 4cyl engine in the 2013 impala,thats one problem GM has they always try to get on the same page with the competition instead of executing and dominating them,raise the bar GM dammit! try a different and more menacing approach,GM needs designers with BIGGER NUTS some guys that will turn up the heat against the competition,guys who are aggressive,bold and t hat wont settle for nothing less than the best
While I agree with much of your sentiment, I think you miss the point, and that GM is out to sell as many cars as possible...And not just to enthusiasts. To make it viable, it needs to appeal to a wider audience. The other issue is CAFE standards. If GM is going to sell these in quantity, they need to get decent mileage so they don't wind up with massive fine from the Feds that will ultimately get passed on to us.

IMHO, a 2.0 liter turbo 4-cylinder is a great idea for the next Impala. 270 HP/260 LB-FT is a huge improvement over the 2006-2011 V6 base, LS, LT, and LTZ models. The superior mileage is bound to find buyers who want style and some performance, but also don't need or want a fire-breathing hot rod. As long as there are better engines available like the upcoming 3.0 twin turbo mill, I'm fine with lower power base motors.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed. High sales to the general masses rather to appealing to the smaller numbered specialty niches are higher on their list of priorities. Higher fuel mileage figures are a sign of the times, like it or not.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like to see a new impala ss, with the cts v motor, more of an updated style , i feel it has gotten so far away from the 94,96 models, and lets be honest they were a nice big car and had a good power and rwd. i turn my head when i see a 96 drive by but dont even look twice at the newer ones. this is just imo when i hear impala ss i just think its a joke now a days
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i would like to see a new impala ss, with the cts v motor, more of an updated style , i feel it has gotten so far away from the 94,96 models, and lets be honest they were a nice big car and had a good power and rwd. i turn my head when i see a 96 drive by but dont even look twice at the newer ones. this is just imo when i hear impala ss i just think its a joke now a days
Not gonna see an LSA in the next Impala, as it will be FWD/AWD.

And while you may consider the 06-09 Impala SS a joke, it will easily show it's taillights to the 94-96 models, so it's hardly something to laugh at.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing

And while you may consider the 06-09 Impala SS a joke, it will easily show it's taillights to the 94-96 models, so it's hardly something to laugh at.
Very true!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
You forgot the unique GXP front fascia, rear bumper, rocker panels, and suspension that give the GXP a lower ride height than even the CompG. Do brakes count towards styling because they are easily visible?

I think the engineers extended themselves as much as they were allowed to in differentiating the GXP. I appreciate that. The result is still a quality nightmare but it's not their fault. I blame the bean counters.
Nope didn't forget about them.

Since everyone is talking about how the GXP differs from the comp g and think the impala's all look the same, here's some differences:

Bare with me as I'm going to be jumping back and forth as I remember things and right them down on here.

The Impala has 4 different packages from the factory, LS, LT, LTZ, and SS. This is NOT including the police package 9c1/9c3 models which would make 6.

LS and some LT models have a different front(no fog lights) and rear bumper(no dual exhaust cutouts), as well as the grille inserts being different(SS models are honeycombed)(the 2012's now come with a honey combed grille that can be black or chrome, but there's no SS for that year) than the LS.

LTZ's don't have the polished tips(even though they're not my favorite) that the SS does. They also maintain the ugly chrome trunk strip as the SS model was the only one offered with a color matched strip.

The SS actually does have a different suspension than all the other model(with exception of the 9c1/3 i think).

The SS spoiler is different than the LT spoiler or the no spoiler at all option of the LS. They did start putting SS spoilers on the 09(i think) LT and LTZ's though.

Yes I know you "can't" compare a comp g to a GXP, I did that more to **** off all the fan boys and clearly it worked. Have fun.

Quick Reply: What is so "outdated" about the Impala styling?