LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio questions

Hey everybody, just this past week my driver side door speaker went out on my 08 impala ss. I had 2 questions for you guys, 1: What is the size of the door speakers? Online says its 6.75 but I would need a special type of mount? And 2: I was thinking of upgrading to the nav cd player like the ones in the Tahoe, I do not have the bose sound system. I was told that I would need to buy an antenna for the gps, and an amp. Why would I need to buy an amp for just door speakers? And what size/brand would be my best buy? Thank you for your responses!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your going to get a ton of opinions on this, I would get polk audio to me they're a good bang for your buck and a kicker amp, smallest size they have. That's all u need.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Do you know why I need to have an amp to run the nav cd player? And do I wire the speakers into the + and - outputs?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need an amp but if you don't it won't sound as good. And yes to the outputs.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

you can get away with running 6.5 in the front you shouldn't have any problems mounting them...as for the factory nav and bose equipment, I think it would be a bit cheaper if you went with aftermarket setup. If you aren't running an amp on your door speakers pioneers are always a cheap and great sounding speaker. If you have more cash to spend I always like the sound of a component setup with external amp will give you very bright highs. As for double dins kenwood, pioneer, clarion, sony, and jvc have great units. I am biased toward pioneers decks as I think they are the best headunits you can buy.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I take it I should get a 4 way and wire the tweeters and the front speakers together?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. Tweeters seperate.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
No. Tweeters seperate.
What he said...unless you get reg speaker no more than 3-way imo or you will have too much of hiss sound (best way I can explain it)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

A little clarity here:

You can get replacement speakers in a couple configurations

Component: Woofer and Tweeter sold as a set and usually come with a passive crossover that runs off of one input wire. In this case you would wire the crossover (these are normally labeled) to the input wire and then run 2 separate connections to the woofer and tweeter. These are normally mounted in the door separately, with the tweeter within 6 to 12 inches of the mid woofer.

Coax: Woofer with Tweeter/Midrange drivers mounted above the woofer. Single component install, no separate mount needed for the tweeter. One connection for input.

Component speaker sets will sound better but have the trade off of a more complex install.

Coax speaker sets are generally drop in replacements, easy install, good sound but not as good as component.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes that did clear it up for me. I think I will get some 2 or 3 way speakers to replace for now, and get aftermarket cd player with nav instead of stock. Still thinking on it though!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

+1 to Pioneer being the best bang for the buck!
I would only do 2-way speakers up front and keep the stockers in the rear. If you need more bass wire up a sub. As for head units the pioneer with dvd/hdradio/nav is an awesome choice and plenty of power to the speakers.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Ok guys, now I am in the market for a head unit. I want it to have the following:
SiriusXM satellite radio
Work with my steering wheel controls
Nav
What I would like to have:
Pandora
Option for a backup camera
Sound ****

Any ideas? I am wanting to spend around 400-500, used or new but used only if it is a fixed screen, not any moving gears. Double din
Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my DNX9990HD Monday. Sounds awesome and has all the qualities you want besides pricing. You can get the 6990 model I believe it is for like $600. Then a wiring harness and steering wheel controls will be another $150. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Taking my old thread back so I dont have to make a new one. My friend is selling me his Sony XAV-64 cd player and I had a few questions for you guys.
1.What all wiring harnesses/adapters do I need? I was told I needed a GM one, one for my steering wheel, and one for my onstar. I cannot get a hold of crutchfield, any other good places to shop?
2. I was told that I would not be able to use cruise control when I install my radio, is this true? What causes this?
3. I was told that I could ground the parking brake to any ground to trick the cd player into thinking the park brake is set to watch movies as I drive around, is this true?
4. Good website for a dash fit kit
5. Anything else that I would be missing?
Thanks for any help!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

In case anybody wants to put an aftermarket cd player in their car call crutchfield and make sure you get the following; 2 adapters 1. GM Onstar GMOS-LAN-01 LAN Data bus interference (129.99) 2. Metra ASWC auto sensing steering wheel control interface (69.99) GM dash kit "DD" for 06 and up (free?) and for some reason a chrysler antenna adapter Motorola M to OEM antenna F (0.98) for a total of 200.96! Sounds high, but audio places wanted to charge me over 400 dollars to do this! I can also help you out with any questions that you have.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Launching!

My only real issue with going with an aftermarket Nav is having the stock nav give directions and other info on the HUD (which I really like).

That being said, I would like to upgrade my speakers. I put in a subwoofer a couple of years ago and it does fine with the windows up (which is pretty much all the time now). But when the windows are down, I get a lot of wind noise and can't really crank the radio to hear it real well.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barnett92
Hey everybody, just this past week my driver side door speaker went out on my 08 impala ss. I had 2 questions for you guys, 1: What is the size of the door speakers? Online says its 6.75 but I would need a special type of mount? And 2: I was thinking of upgrading to the nav cd player like the ones in the Tahoe, I do not have the bose sound system. I was told that I would need to buy an antenna for the gps, and an amp. Why would I need to buy an amp for just door speakers? And what size/brand would be my best buy? Thank you for your responses!
I replace my speakers a few weeks ago, on my monte if they are the same setup which i believe they are 6.5 will fit... you just have to mod the plastic mount for it, which is easy you will see what im talking bout when you remove the door cover, no special mount needed.....i sure if u upgrade to the nav you may lose all your steering wheel feats if you have any, and you will need to buy a ant for the nav. Amp no unless you want more sound, but not needed. i would get one if you plan on upgrading for ex. subs. i put kicker door speakers in my car sounds great, all depends on what you want to spend on speakers.......cheap stuff SONY, if you got MONEY go with RE AUDIO..or anything of your choice doesn't really matter....I've been in car audio bus. for a long time all sound the same for the most part until you put amps on them.....and how u listen to your music

Quick Reply: Audio questions