LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion

Well I have been looking at picking up a truck for a DD for my g/f so I can start tearing into the impala. So far I've came up with 2 options as of right now.

2001 Chevy 2500hd Lt duramax, 215k miles, 4 door loaded to with every option possible...leather, heated seats, DVD...

2001 gmc 2500hd slt 6.0 vortec, 95k, 4 door most power options and cloth.

Both are around the same price and actually book for equal value.

I'm leaning towards the gmc for the significantly lower mileage, easier to start up, heats up faster, lower maintenance cost, but I would love the Chevy strictly for the duramax/allison combo.

I really don't tow anything, but I have a feeling I may need to tow a certain vehicle at some point this summer.

Just wondering what everyone's thought are?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say GMC. Lower cost maintance = more modding $$$ for the Impala.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

I vote for the Duramax. Deisel engines last a long time, and are mush easier to mod. Check out Gale Banks. Gas engines in work trucks are joke.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha you both hit my reasoning for wanting each.

And I would love to mod a diesel but I don't have 2K for injectors, 5k for a built allison, 5-6K for a nice twin set up, 1k for tuning, 2k for misc, lift pump, gauges, exhaust...and after 600 whp it becomes a time bomb and your looking at 10k+ for a built engine....but for some reason i still want the diesel.

The gasser has its perks though. The 6.0 should last another 100k easily if properly maintained. If any mod it would be lift/tires and a tune. This doesn't eat up my money I need for the built trans for the impala nearly as much as a diesel would..
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Sell the Impala, buy a duramax with under 100k, mod, done. Duramax is a lot more fun. i miss my 03 everyday.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRTH8R
Sell the Impala, buy a duramax with under 100k, mod, done. Duramax is a lot more fun. i miss my 03 everyday.
This has crossed my mind a couple of times, but my whole reasoning for buying a cheap truck is because I don't want to mod my DD. and my G/F would be driving whatever vehicle I buy because I drive 160 miles a day and have an 05 monte for that. She might drive 40 miles a week and that's not exactly the best senerio for a diesel.

And I already have a cartuning kit and gxp brake swap sitting ready for the car that I'd also have to sell, and I'm real curious how the cars going to feel at 10 psi!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My vote goes for gas. I just picked up an 03 GMC HD with long tubes, K&N, milled and ported 5.3 heads with .040 gaskets, on a LQ9 short block, and a mild cam 223 231 .610 .617 112. She's got a little rumpity rump. With 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ she is a blast to drive. The wife loves it and it gets better gas mileage the the GXP in town. I know you said you didn't want to mod it but you know how that goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Don't ditch the LS4. Finish it!

If you are looking for a car/truck for your g/f then marry her first (friendly advice).

My buddy has a 6.0 2 dr extended cab Silverado that is a drark green 4wd. It hauls *** and has never seen the dirt. He is a chiropractor, and has his truck detailed 3 times a year by a mobile company who has a crew of 3. Insane. I thinks its a 07'
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Don't ditch the LS4. Finish it!

If you are looking for a car/truck for your g/f then marry her first (friendly advice).

My buddy has a 6.0 2 dr extended cab Silverado that is a drark green 4wd. It hauls *** and has never seen the dirt. He is a chiropractor, and has his truck detailed 3 times a year by a mobile company who has a crew of 3. Insane. I thinks its a 07'
I'm only looking to get a vehicle for her to drive because I stole her 2005 monte a year and a half ago and have put 65k on it in that time. I drive 160 miles a day round trip for work. I got the impala SS for her to drive and haul our daughter around. I am now taking that away as well, so it's only fair to get her something else, and I really want a truck anyway.

As for marrying her. It will happen. We've been together for 7 years and living together for 5 and our daughter is now 2. As bad as this may sound her schooling is a lot cheaper if we stay "single".

And Brian I know I say I won't mod it, and I definitely know how that goes. I didn't plan on doing anything to the impala either
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackImpSS
As for marrying her. It will happen. We've been together for 7 years and living together for 5 and our daughter is now 2. As bad as this may sound her schooling is a lot cheaper if we stay "single".
I have been with my girl for 6 years and we have a 5 year old, so I know how it goes. She is ready to get married, so the pressure is on If I marry her I will have to divorce my car though..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I have been with my girl for 6 years and we have a 5 year old, so I know how it goes. She is ready to get married, so the pressure is on If I marry her I will have to divorce my car though..
Yeah she talks about it all the time. I told her I'm on the 10 year plan so I still have a few more years left in me. And she might not appreciate my love for "junk" but she deals with it. The impala is my newest vehicle I've ever owned next to a 97 k1500. Since we've been together I've owned 90 camaro, 3 1st gen dsm (1 parts car), 1 84 fox body, and 2 94/97 k1500. She knows I will never divorce my cars and on any given day there will be more "junk" in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion