LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Not Happy about my trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not Happy about my trans

I'm sure many of you have or had trans problems with your cars. So I need some suggestions on how I can go about this.
I bought my GXP two weeks ago from the local dealer and thought I got a good deal on this used 06 GP GXP. 3 days after purchase the SES light came on. No biggie, its an emissions code. Also has a missfire code. Figure its due for a tune up. So I'm not too worried about these problems.
Now the transmission slips in first gear taking off from a stop sign/light when its nice and warmed up. As a former auto mechanic, I pride myself that I can test drive a car and give an accurate description of a car's condition and general health. But this one blindsided me after I signed the purchase agreement. I test drove this car twice, put almost 50 miles on it and never noticed any trans problems knowing these cars have a history of them. Now its rearing its ugly head.
I drive this car everyday and I do get on it once in a while but I never beat on it mercilessly. Obviously the previous owner knew what was happening and traded it in asap. And I got hosed.
I didn't buy an extended warranty for it since I fix my own cars but I realize now that was a huge mistake. I haven't even made the first payment on it. I like this car a lot and think its the perfect car for myself and it still holds the whole family. And the wife can drive it easily and likes it too.
I've read some of the trans articles that are stickied on the top of this forum but I got tired after page 5 of looking at it. I'd rather hear everyone's personal issues that they've had with their trans.
So my question is, what are my options?
Has anyone done a fliud change and save one of these? It is a daily driver, 93k miles with no mods and only plan on minimal upgrades via bolt ons in the future. Maybe an intake, rockers and a downpipe at the most. And those are maybes beacause I'd rather spend the cash on my TA instead.
Thanks guys.
Mike
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, as it is all too common.

There are only two kinds of LS4 cars: Those that have already had trans problems, and those that will.

As for the issues we're all having, with all due respect, that's what the stickies are for. And the first post pretty much sums up the common problems that we've all seen.

If you want to get it fixed it right the first time, contact Dave at www.tripleedgeperformance.com and discuss your options. He is the foremost 4T65 trans builder in the country, and we all swear by him. I personally have over 100K miles on a trans upgraded with his valve body and other parts.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Sorry to hear about your experience, as it is all too common.

There are only two kinds of LS4 cars: Those that have already had trans problems, and those that will.

As for the issues we're all having, with all due respect, that's what the stickies are for. And the first post pretty much sums up the common problems that we've all seen.

If you want to get it fixed it right the first time, contact Dave at www.tripleedgeperformance.com and discuss your options. He is the foremost 4T65 trans builder in the country, and we all swear by him. I personally have over 100K miles on a trans upgraded with his valve body and other parts.
Yeah I guess I'm just venting a bit. Thought I was getting a decent car but it seems I got duped. The car is worth getting fixed, I just didn't want to have to do it out of pocket. I hate car dealers since I saw firsthand what they do or more specifically not do to used cars. They patch em up and ship em out to the lot. I felt I tested it pretty well before I bought it but hey I guess its on me.
This Dave guy seems to have a good rep here on the forum so ill have to email him or call. I might try changing the fluid and filter for now to kinda nurse it along. I used an Lucas Oil trans fluid additive in another car (Dodge Intrepid) I had with trans issues and got good results but this is a different animal for sure.
Thanx
Mike
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of things should be addressed first have you Fixed the things that brought your check engibe light? Have you verified you're lower motor mounts aren't torn to **** and sagging. The front lower is prone to ripping in half and the fluid condition? Remember don't flush and no additives use dex 6.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I checked the top one already but I will check those out today. Parts are ordered for the check engine light. Fluid is not too dark and does not smell burnt.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to get a new tranny , id highly recommend dave at tep. I just finished installing mine and couldn't be happier. Hope with new fluid and tranny cooler it works out. One thing dave recommended was by passing the cars cooler and just going with the one supplied. When I cut my tranny cooler lines there was so much metal I couldn't believe it. I rubbed some on my hand and it looked like silver anti seize. Instead of cleaning the old ones I just bought new ones. I was going to start a new post with some pics if I get time.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Being a mechanic, are you planning on rebuilding it yourself? If so, I still recomend calling TEP. I had mine go out at 30,000 and the second at 33,000. Second was more than likely my fault, but my rebuilder had never seen anything like it. Actually spun the clutches on the shaft tearing the tabs off. I called Tep but their lead time was too long for me, I couldn't do without the car so I bought the parts he recommended. His valve body and skift kit. I also regeared mine and reprogrammed the TCM by Overkill. Couldn't be happier. Have 65,000 on it now and hasn't given me one lick of trouble.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No lemon law in your state?

You can try cleaning the MAF, but I don't think it'll help you. It's cheap and easy enuff to try.

If you have to rebuild it DEFENETLY GET THE TEP UPGRADES.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Teching In

As far as lemon laws for Indiana, it seems rather vague for used cars so I am doing some research on it now. I also haven't contacted the dealer yet. Been working long shifts but I got to get a hold of them soon.

Originally Posted by smoooth
Being a mechanic, are you planning on rebuilding it yourself? If so, I still recomend calling TEP. I had mine go out at 30,000 and the second at 33,000. Second was more than likely my fault, but my rebuilder had never seen anything like it. Actually spun the clutches on the shaft tearing the tabs off. I called Tep but their lead time was too long for me, I couldn't do without the car so I bought the parts he recommended. His valve body and skift kit. I also regeared mine and reprogrammed the TCM by Overkill. Couldn't be happier. Have 65,000 on it now and hasn't given me one lick of trouble.
I doubt I have the time to actually rebuild it myself. I did a few when I went to tech school but none since so I wouldn't trust myself. I will call TEP this week to get some ideas on possible courses of action.

Is it crazy to say that it DOES NOT slip when I put the 'tapshift' into manual mode? I mean I can get on the throttle in first from a stop and it gives no sign of slip or 'rev-clunk'. Weird.
Later
Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Different line pressure in tap mode
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian396
Different line pressure in tap mode
More or less? Im about to get my trans tuned and trying to figure out what to tell me tuner to do as far as line pressure goes.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More line pressure in tap. Idk what your tuner is using, but I don't think there is very many options for line pressure with HPtuners?

Last edited by Brian396; 04-23-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

Hp tuners yeah. What about torque management?

Quick Reply: Not Happy about my trans