LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impala vs Monte Carlo vs Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala vs Monte Carlo vs Grand Prix

Whattup guys, i'm new here and this is my first post Well in February ill be in the market for a new car. The three cars im looking at are the Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS and the Grand prix GXP. I want your guys's opinions. Which one is superior in that group in all aspects. Moddibility, reliability, looks, performance and anything else worth noting. I'm 16 and looking to upgrade from my current car. 2002 Buick Century Custom
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just opened a can of worms...

If you want a coupe, get the Monte, if you want a large car, get the Impala, if you want the "performance inspired" one get the Grand Prix. Straight line performance is very similar, however, the GXP's staggered setup, upgraded suspension, larger brakes, TAPshift, etc., give it the edge around a course. The HUD is nice too, I miss that the most.

Also, if you want a nice car, with the GXP's Bilstein suspension, look into the LaCrosse Super.

Across all, the transmission is quite weak, aftermarket has little support, just browse through this forum and gmls4.com.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM

So you had a GXP? What happened to it?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stolen and stripped.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Ah man that sucks major, what do you drive now?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing I could not live without is my HUD. That was the deciding factor for me between getting a GP GXP and a Goat. Otherwise I just like the looks of the GP and have always loved Pontiac cars.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Yeah I love the features on the GP, I was originally looking at the GXP I just thought id look at the other LS4's. I love the remote start option. This guy from work starts his impala from inside the building. Im jealous
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get any one of these cars, you'd better budget $2,000-$4,000 for a transmission, as it will eventually become a problem.

That said, it's really a matter of whether you want sporty (GXP) or understated (Impala SS/Buick LaCrosse Super) or a coupe (Monte SS).

If price is a factor, Impala's tend to be the cheapest and have the fewest gadgets, though they're marginally lighter than the other 4-doors. GXPs are more desirable to most because of the HUD, nicer wheels and suspension. Styling is a subjective thing. I'm not a fan of the GXP interior at all, as they seemed to use cheaper materials that need more attention then on the ISS. Many folks would with disagree with me, which is why you need to look for yourself.

If I were to buy one of these cars again (and I most definitely would not), I'd look for a LaCrosse Super, as they're the classiest of all, and have most of the cool GXP features.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Couldn't you get a trans cooler and a shift kit? Also how much doe a Buick Lacrosse Super run for, just saw the interior of one and WOW :O
Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HedgeBrah
Couldn't you get a trans cooler and a shift kit? Also how much doe a Buick Lacrosse Super run for, just saw the interior of one and WOW :O
A cooler and shift kit are good, but they don't prevent the problems that are way too common to these cars. Do a search here and on GMLS4.com and you'll see what we're talking about.

I haven't searched for a LaCrosse Super lately, so I'm not sure what the going prices are, but I imagine you're probably looking at GXP money.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Huh, well if the LS4's are not reliable what could I pick up for the same price? RWD could be diffucult living in wisconsin and not have a place to store it in the winter. Preferably a AWD or a FWD
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huh, well if the LS4's are not reliable what could I pick up for the same price? RWD could be diffucult living in wisconsin and not have a place to store it in the winter. Preferably a AWD or a FWD
Or learn how to drive.

I guess there are no BMWs or Mercedes in Wisconsin either.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which one is superior in that group in all aspects. Moddibility, reliability, looks, performance and anything else worth noting.
Oh, that would be the GXP.

It's not that they're unreliable, the transmision has a couple of engineering defects. I don't think your going to find anything camparible for the price, even with money set aside for the trans.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah man that sucks major, what do you drive now?
'84 944

The Grand Prix is only a little heavier than the Monte Carlo, the Impala and LaCrosse are a little larger and a bit heavier.

May be barking up the wrong tree, but what are the prices of MazdaSpeed 3s, MazdaSpeed 6s, WRXs, Evos, and the like up there?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian396
Oh, that would be the GXP.

It's not that they're unreliable, the transmision has a couple of engineering defects. I don't think your going to find anything camparible for the price, even with money set aside for the trans.

Totally agree. I should have been more clear. These cars don't have a ton of major issues, just one big one (the trans), and a handful of minor annoyances. Aside from the trans problems, our car has been very reliable, never leaving us stranded in 160,000 miles of driving.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Well honestly never looked at MazdaSpeed 3's and 6's. Evo's haha I wish. Not many around here though. The WRX's could fit in my range. Just can't find a damn subaru around here under 160,xxx miles. Also whe on the topic of WRX's whats the differences between that and an STi. Lol not very smart when it comes to subarus
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Afaik, STi has higher boost, better brakes, better suspension, and some appearance differences.

Well maintained Subies can go much further than that. Legacies (Legacys?) are nice also.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Yeah Legacy's are pretty cheap, but hey back on the topic of Pontiac's. What about a 2004 gramd prix gtp comp G?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

i had one of the first GXP's.. junk.. total junk. I look back and laugh at what i bought lol.. Lasted 6 mos before i ran like hell and grabbed a new TBSS.. You should be looking at a G8, you're only going to be able to afford (if you're budgeting 12k or so) a high mileage V6 but even a V6 with 120k miles on it is heads and shoulders above any of those cars.. Or a CTS with the 3.6 nicely optioned, a little older. maybe even the G35... stay away from the W lol...

PS: trans was banging/stuttering into 2nd with only 1500 miles on it, water leaks through moonroof, onstar antenna and a gremlin in the wiring that used to make the car inoperable at any given time (eventualy found a pinched wire to the yaw sensor under the center console.. way to go canada).. just junk
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Said he'd rather not a RWD. And a V6 is a waste of a motor, I don't care how fast you can make it, why settle for an inferior motor? The '05s were a bit more prone to malfunctions than the other 3 years.

If he wanted RWD, I'd have recommended an F-body.

The Comp-G is basically a GXP sans the LS4 and body kit. As far as I know the trans holds up a little better under a bit less torque.

Quick Reply: Impala vs Monte Carlo vs Grand Prix