LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Sold the SS but got the 2014 LTZ fully loaded**

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the SS but got the 2014 LTZ fully loaded**

Hey guys,

As I am saddened to say that I am no longer a part of the LS4 community, I did trade it in for the new 2014 Impala LTZ. Reason I traded it in was because the engine was fried (probably from the nitrous lol) and my mechanic told me what the bill would be to fix, so it was a financial decision as well. I am loving this new Impala, it's truly amazing the differences between the last model to this one. My only qualm with the new car is the V6 . It's quick for it's size and actually breaks better than the SS and has electronic steering. So far I've tinted the windows and plasti dipped my rims (19" sport). I recently won best New American Car at a local car show with hundreds of contestants and over 1300 cars came to the event. This thing is also going to be featured in Chevys new social ads for this car, so it's famous already. I'll post pics of the new car shortly.
Attached Thumbnails Sold the SS but got the 2014 LTZ fully loaded**-2014-impala-black-rims.jpg   Sold the SS but got the 2014 LTZ fully loaded**-2014-impala.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. And congrats. Debadge next?

That car is begging to be RWD though.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IMPALA SS 07
Hey guys,

As I am saddened to say that I am no longer a part of the LS4 community, I did trade it in for the new 2014 Impala LTZ. Reason I traded it in was because the engine was fried (probably from the nitrous lol) and my mechanic told me what the bill would be to fix, so it was a financial decision as well. I am loving this new Impala, it's truly amazing the differences between the last model to this one. My only qualm with the new car is the V6 . It's quick for it's size and actually breaks better than the SS and has electronic steering. So far I've tinted the windows and plasti dipped my rims (19" sport). I recently won best New American Car at a local car show with hundreds of contestants and over 1300 cars came to the event. This thing is also going to be featured in Chevys new social ads for this car, so it's famous already. I'll post pics of the new car shortly.
Complete LS4 engines can be had relatively on the cheap.

And going from FWD to another FWD car minus a V8, plus 200 lbs?

To each his own.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Made the move to save some money for now and when the lease is up I'm gonna see what is available from the C7 lineup.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

those new impalas are sick! i like the plasti-dip and tint. hope you enjoy the car
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMPALA SS 07
Made the move to save some money for now and when the lease is up I'm gonna see what is available from the C7 lineup.
Lease????? Never leased before, but it was my understanding you're not allowed to modify a leased car.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crich88848
Lease????? Never leased before, but it was my understanding you're not allowed to modify a leased car.
Plasti Dip and tint can just be torn off.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crich88848
if you do you HAVE to bring it back to stock and if they find out im sure they will not be happy. my sister leased a car and in signing they said modifications are not allowed (i believe unless it can be back to stock) except for tint, they allow tint
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I have test drove one and the ride is awesome.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The new impala's look nice. GM should give it AWD like the cadillac XTS.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
Complete LS4 engines can be had relatively on the cheap.

And going from FWD to another FWD car minus a V8, plus 200 lbs?

To each his own.
Sorry man, but a 2014 Impala is 3x the car of any W-body, V8 or no. The only thing his 2007 will do better than his new one is go fast in a straight line. If that's what you value, cool, but he obviously is looking at the whole package.

Congrats to the OP on a sweet new ride!! I've been trying to talk my wife into one to replace hers once we hit 250,000 miles next year, but she wants a Volt, an ATS, or possibly the new Tahoe, which gets unveiled tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car man, congrats!!! The rims look good, I wonder what the bolt pattern is ???
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Sorry man, but a 2014 Impala is 3x the car of any W-body, V8 or no. The only thing his 2007 will do better than his new one is go fast in a straight line. If that's what you value, cool, but he obviously is looking at the whole package.
That's all subjective really. A Grand Prix GXP (W-body) will out handle the new Impala and there are more/better [newer] options out there to consider. The new Impala doesn't even receive HiPer strut or MRC. So again, how is it 3x the car of any W-body?

But if you reread my original post, I was attempting to point out other options for his "financial decision." Considering that an LS4 can be had for ~$1,000. Not to mention that trading in a vehicle and getting a fully loaded 2014 Impala make smuch financial sense, lease or not.

But as to not appear vague this time, I'll list those options (new and/or old): Charger (both new generations), 300, Taurus (AWD), Genesis, G8, CTS-V (V1), CTS (V1), G35/7, 3 series, etc.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

That's all subjective really. A Grand Prix GXP (W-body) will out handle the new Impala and there are more/better [newer] options out there to consider. The new Impala doesn't even receive HiPer strut or MRC. So again, how is it 3x the car of any W-body?

But if you reread my original post, I was attempting to point out other options for his "financial decision." Considering that an LS4 can be had for ~$1,000. Not to mention that trading in a vehicle and getting a fully loaded 2014 Impala make smuch financial sense, lease or not.

But as to not appear vague this time, I'll list those options (new and/or old): Charger (both new generations), 300, Taurus (AWD), Genesis, G8, CTS-V (V1), CTS (V1), G35/7, 3 series, etc.
Maybe RWD isn't a concern for the OP. You're projecting your tastes on him, because if he would have wanted a poor quality Chrysler product, an ugly Infiniti or Hyundai, or an overweight Ford, he could have done that. You could argue the CTS, but maybe he didn't want to spend that kind of scratch on a new car.

Regarding ride/handling, I'm assuming that your 2014 Impala test drive involved mountain roads? Mine didn't, but I can tell you that it rode smoother and cornered as flatly as my ISS in city driving. And while it doesn't have Hi-Per strut, neither does your car or mine. What it does have is a supension NOT designed during the mid-1980's, along with a unique reverse-progressive coil spring that allows for improved ride and handling.

A GP GXP will probably go around corners flatter, but at the cost of ride quality. When I was 22 years old, this would have been preferable to me, but to most people who need/want a car of this size in this price range, they'll give up some ultimate grip for an improved ride.

So, the argument that a W-body, and specifically a GXP, will out-handle a 2014 Impala is subjective.

So yes, I will stand by my claim that a new Impala is 3x car of any W-body, and well it should: It costs more (with moderate levels of equipment) and is a newer design. If you compare the technology and equipment, it's not even close, and there's the interior, which is light years better than the hideous sea of cheap plastic in your GXP, and the blandness of my Impala, Monte, and to a lesser extent, the LaX Super.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Maybe RWD isn't a concern for the OP. You're projecting your tastes on him, because if he would have wanted a poor quality Chrysler product, an ugly Infiniti or Hyundai, or an overweight Ford, he could have done that. You could argue the CTS, but maybe he didn't want to spend that kind of scratch on a new car.

Regarding ride/handling, I'm assuming that your 2014 Impala test drive involved mountain roads? Mine didn't, but I can tell you that it rode smoother and cornered as flatly as my ISS in city driving. And while it doesn't have Hi-Per strut, neither does your car or mine. What it does have is a supension NOT designed during the mid-1980's, along with a unique reverse-progressive coil spring that allows for improved ride and handling.

A GP GXP will probably go around corners flatter, but at the cost of ride quality. When I was 22 years old, this would have been preferable to me, but to most people who need/want a car of this size in this price range, they'll give up some ultimate grip for an improved ride.

So, the argument that a W-body, and specifically a GXP, will out-handle a 2014 Impala is subjective.

So yes, I will stand by my claim that a new Impala is 3x car of any W-body, and well it should: It costs more (with moderate levels of equipment) and is a newer design. If you compare the technology and equipment, it's not even close, and there's the interior, which is light years better than the hideous sea of cheap plastic in your GXP, and the blandness of my Impala, Monte, and to a lesser extent, the LaX Super.
I'm not too surprised by this reply.

I incorrectly assumed RWD was the best option for him. I offered up that "solution" due to the many complaints on here about FWD. I wasn't projecting my tastes, but simply the RWD options (where handling usually rules) out there that were affordable, considering he mentioned the new car was purchased due financial reasons (odd, but whatever). However, you did continue on in showing your bias toward GM by injecting your personal tastes as to why he should not purchase any of those cars (plus your negative personal opinions), except, of course, the GM product.

Now as to the test drive, no, my test drive most certainly did not involve mountain driving. And yes, it was a smooth ride. I would sure as hell hope so considering what the car is intended for. I have never driver an LS4 Impala SS but I have driven a rental model which handled any and all road imperfections with ample body roll and nonexistent lateral support; the car didn't have a bench seat but it sure felt like it did.

I brought up HiPer strut and MRC because both of its cousins (LaCrosse and XTS) have the option, not because my car has (I'd like to retrofit it though). And sure its suspension was designed more recently than the W-bodie's and sure it allows for improved ride and handling. But improved over what? This purported improvement doesn't mean that it makes it superior to what GM did with the GXP.

And no one is contesting what GM has done for the interior and exterior of the car. Being a 2014 model and having to compete with the other car manufacturers, everything that encompasses the Impala is expected and not necessarily lauded. It's a crying shame that GM allowed the previous generation Impala [and C6 Corvette] to carry on for so long.

And if you're searching for ride quality, I would go ahead and advise any and everyone to go with the Impala (previous and current generation). But I wouldn't try to make the claim that since the Grand Prix GXP can handle corners better that its ride quality is detrimentally inferior or can only be withstood by a 22 year old. So no, the handling argument is not subjective. Ride quality (personal feel) would be subjective, where a majority would probably agree that the 2014 Impala offered the "smoother" ride [versus the GXP].

As for your 3x statement, that is also subjective. Where did you even get the figure "3" from? Why not "2" or "4?" Or even "2.5?"

But at the end of the day, why are you even inferring that I was comparing it to a W-body? I only brought up the fact that there were other options out there that can match or even rise above what the 2014 Impala has to offer. If anything, I was poking a large hole in his reason that the purchase was due to a "financial decision." And it was a negative decision since he deemed it not okay to replace the LS4 engine in his vehicle (which is fine). If it was a positive financial decision, where money was of no issue, then so be it. But to say that replacing the LS4 engine wasn't in the cards and then to walk out with a new 2014 loaded vehicle doesn't sound much like the right decision. Or at the very least, the OP could have been more honest about it all.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

I think by "financial decision" he meant that it made more sense to lease this car than to finance a car he might end up trading in for a C7 in a couple of years or fix his apparently broken previous model.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice car, they are leaps and bounds above any of the W-Bodies.

How do you like the steering wheel??

I think GM dropped the ball on its design but I haven't had a chance to drive one yet.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not too surprised by this reply.

I incorrectly assumed RWD was the best option for him. I offered up that "solution" due to the many complaints on here about FWD. I wasn't projecting my tastes, but simply the RWD options (where handling usually rules) out there that were affordable, considering he mentioned the new car was purchased due financial reasons (odd, but whatever). However, you did continue on in showing your bias toward GM by injecting your personal tastes as to why he should not purchase any of those cars (plus your negative personal opinions), except, of course, the GM product.

Now as to the test drive, no, my test drive most certainly did not involve mountain driving. And yes, it was a smooth ride. I would sure as hell hope so considering what the car is intended for. I have never driver an LS4 Impala SS but I have driven a rental model which handled any and all road imperfections with ample body roll and nonexistent lateral support; the car didn't have a bench seat but it sure felt like it did.

I brought up HiPer strut and MRC because both of its cousins (LaCrosse and XTS) have the option, not because my car has (I'd like to retrofit it though). And sure its suspension was designed more recently than the W-bodie's and sure it allows for improved ride and handling. But improved over what? This purported improvement doesn't mean that it makes it superior to what GM did with the GXP.

And no one is contesting what GM has done for the interior and exterior of the car. Being a 2014 model and having to compete with the other car manufacturers, everything that encompasses the Impala is expected and not necessarily lauded. It's a crying shame that GM allowed the previous generation Impala [and C6 Corvette] to carry on for so long.

And if you're searching for ride quality, I would go ahead and advise any and everyone to go with the Impala (previous and current generation). But I wouldn't try to make the claim that since the Grand Prix GXP can handle corners better that its ride quality is detrimentally inferior or can only be withstood by a 22 year old. So no, the handling argument is not subjective. Ride quality (personal feel) would be subjective, where a majority would probably agree that the 2014 Impala offered the "smoother" ride [versus the GXP].

As for your 3x statement, that is also subjective. Where did you even get the figure "3" from? Why not "2" or "4?" Or even "2.5?"

But at the end of the day, why are you even inferring that I was comparing it to a W-body? I only brought up the fact that there were other options out there that can match or even rise above what the 2014 Impala has to offer. If anything, I was poking a large hole in his reason that the purchase was due to a "financial decision." And it was a negative decision since he deemed it not okay to replace the LS4 engine in his vehicle (which is fine). If it was a positive financial decision, where money was of no issue, then so be it. But to say that replacing the LS4 engine wasn't in the cards and then to walk out with a new 2014 loaded vehicle doesn't sound much like the right decision. Or at the very least, the OP could have been more honest about it all.
Yup, I am biased. Guilty as charged. But I've also driven all of the cars you've mentioned except for the Taurus. I've also owned Chrysler products recently (within the last 5 years), so I think my opinion is informed. In my life, I've owned 32 different vehicles...26 of which were GM products, and with the exception of the LS4 car and a 1995 Aurora, they've all treated me well, so my bias is well-founded. Anyway, the OP bought a GM vehicle, so it would appear that my bias is shared by him, at least to an extent.

That said...

I did assume that you were comparing the LS4 W-bodies to his new Impala, and since you've clearly said that was not your intent, then I apologize for my lack of reading comprehension in this case. I will say that in comparison to the cars you mentioned, the Impala is still a better package for the money, even when compared to the current (but soon to replaced) non-V series CTS, drive wheels not factored in.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

We had a 2010 impala ltz and traded that in for a 2014 lt. Theres is a big difference in size, fit n finish, ride and handling. The old w bodies feel really old now and ive driven most of them. My only complaint is that the steering is a little on the light side for a car of this size but ive gotten an even 30mpg on a 450 mile road trip going 70-75 mph.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Electric assist steering is so numb... The ex-wife had a G6 with it, I wasn't a fan.

Quick Reply: Sold the SS but got the 2014 LTZ fully loaded**