LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Best trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Best trans

Hey guys whats the best trans to go with? I will pull it and have my trans guy rebuild it. Who has the best master high end kit to hold up to a beating!And whats the best tqconverter. Car just has tune,full exhaust,1.8 rockers,cold intake,tb spacer.
Ty Skydog
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skydog
Hey guys whats the best trans to go with? I will pull it and have my trans guy rebuild it. Who has the best master high end kit to hold up to a beating!And whats the best tqconverter. Car just has tune,full exhaust,1.8 rockers,cold intake,tb spacer.
Ty Skydog
As far as transmissions go, triple edge performance is what most people get as far as I know and is what I will be getting soon. As far as rebuild kits, I don't think any are going to really make the trans stand up to any beating since they don't fix any of the issues that our transmissions actually have. Someone may correct me, but I'm pretty sure that's what I have gathered as I've been looking to upgrade my trans as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

The TEP upgrades correct the stock issues these tranns have. If you have a competent rebuilder, get a hold of TEP and they will get you what you need.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

So TEP is best then? I see intense racing and thrasher offer built trans too. I will put a 100 shot dry on car too.
Ty Skydog
Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

TEP street/strip here with 3.29 gears, had it in the car since January and no issues at all
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98Greenz28
TEP street/strip here with 3.29 gears, had it in the car since January and no issues at all
AWSOME just ordered the same from them cant wait!!! :-) :-) How do you like gear change? What difference can u tell/feel?
Thank u Skydog. PS Did go with just a touch tighter on the tq converter and upgrade input shaft.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I also did the 3.29 upgrade and love it! Definitely more fun in town and not much difference in RPM's on the highway, maybe 2-300 RPM @ 55.

If I had to do it again, it would be the same upgrades with the TC and IS upgrades you are getting. I didn't think I would have as much fun modding the LS4. I'll probably be giving Dave some more business and get the input shaft at the least.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Greenz28
same here.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

AWSOME Man he has the best feedback ever!! That just rocks, good to see some companies still take pride in there work.
Skydog
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWSOME Man he has the best feedback ever!! That just rocks, good to see some companies still take pride in there work.
Skydog
Best feedback ever until he gets your money. Then the worst customer service I've ever experienced.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i will say the transmission is great... once you get it. that part took awhile.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lVloses
Best feedback ever until he gets your money. Then the worst customer service I've ever experienced.
I'd like to hear about the details on this. I have had nothing but stellar service from Dave.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The_Madcat
I'd like to hear about the details on this. I have had nothing but stellar service from Dave.
Well here goes my long rant. I ordered my transmission at the end of May. He told me it would be 4 weeks build time and then a week to ship it. Five weeks later he emails me saying the hardened input shaft was on back order which put them behind but he'll start working on mine in the next week. I wait another 5 weeks before emailing him back asking how the build was going and he says he'll have an estimate for completion time later that week. Two more weeks pass until he emails me back saying it's done but they'll be closed the following week so I have to either find a tranny shop to do my install in the next couple of hours or I have to wait another two weeks. So I found one willing to do my car and the rest of that went fairly well.

Now I paid a core charge and shipping both ways so I could just turn around and send my old transmission to him and get some money back. Also I had paid for a TCM reprogramming for the gear change. For the next month I try to send this transmission back to him but every time he says he'll get on it I just wait, and wait, and wait. So he currently has $300 of my cash for shipping and the tune, and another $600 for the core. Currently he's screwing me out of $900 and made me wait 3 months to get my transmission in the first place. Now tell me how that's good customer service?

But his transmission is standing up to the beatings I'm throwing at it, so his quality is spot on.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Oof, sorry to hear that, dude. But he has been great with me before and after he got paid, so I dunno what to say about that. And mine has taken quite a beating too. Street/strip with 3.29s and hardened input shaft. If I were to do it over again, I'd have gotten 3.69s or stuck with stock, though. Probably 3.69s.

Edit: For what it's worth, I also did the core program.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UseAsDirected
Oof, sorry to hear that, dude. But he has been great with me before and after he got paid, so I dunno what to say about that. And mine has taken quite a beating too. Street/strip with 3.29s and hardened input shaft. If I were to do it over again, I'd have gotten 3.69s or stuck with stock, though. Probably 3.69s.

Edit: For what it's worth, I also did the core program.
Hey man why would u not do the 3.29s? I still have time to change mine, you are the first I have heard say that.
Ty Skydog
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Hey man why would u not do the 3.29s? I still have time to change mine, you are the first I have heard say that.
Ty Skydog
I'll say this, making the power I make, 2nd gear still feels sluggish and dead to me. You shift into third and you have all that power back. And for hwy cruising my mpg maybe change .5mpg going from stock to 3.29 so I don't see the 3.69s adding a lot more. But also be aware that with 3.69s traction in first will be damn near impossible as I already spin all the way through first with 3.29s.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Ty what is stock gearing, think I am going to spary it 100 shot too. Mmmmmmm
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Stock is 2.93 I believe. Funny though, I feel 2nd is my best gear power wise. Not sure why you would be different. Heads n headers should give you more low end grunt than I have.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ty Skydog
I think because it feels like getting more out of 1st and 2nd would be desirable if I stuck with stock, because with 3.29s I get into 3rd gear and it seems like a "longer" 2nd gear would be better. Or, on the other hand, with 3.69s, 3rd gear wouldn't be so bad and I'd definitely hit it. Of course, I don't necessarily know what I'm doing out there, so take me with a grain of salt. I think 3.69s would be more fun too though I don't care about gas mileage or highway driving, since I don't have a commute.

Quick Reply: Best trans