LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Converting trans to AN lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Converting trans to AN lines

*update* I made the switch over to 1/2inch Lines now for the cooler or -8 AN line. Setup is working great with the increased fluid capacity and flow potential throughout the system. on avg i dropped another 5-10 degrees while doing normal driving. This time around i used pushloc fittings but installed a snug fitting hose clamp anyway for good measure. See pics at bottom of this post for updated setup.

Just wanted to save somone else alot of time if they wanted to bother converting to AN fittings/and braided line, this only applies to 04+4T65 transmissions.

You will (qty 2) -6 AN Male Port adapter w/ oring to male fitting, you can get these fittings off ebay, amazon summit local speed shops etc...Remember O ring side goes in trans. You can use a 19mm deep socket to install them. After your two male 6ans from the trans case you can then route your lines accordingly i used a 90 * bend and routed my lines to my trans cooler from there. very easy to do, leak free and youll never have to deal with "quick disconnect" b.s again. Note: i didnt use braided stainless -6 line,i used 3/8 rubber line which is pretty much the same size and still mates in the connectors just the same. ive never had a issue with rubber trans lines bursting cracking etc...but if you want to complete the package go for the stainless line.

parts can be found here

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220166b/overview/ trans case fittings.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Fittings-Hose_...00707/10002/-1

pics

Note** i removed the teflon tape from the black fitting which was from another project. thread tape isnt neccesary but i imagine it couldnt hurt either if applied in the right amount and direction.

EDIT also while youre messing around with fluid yall shoud take the time to check out the dorman transmission pan, for like 40 bucks off of rockauto you get a brand new pan plus it comes witha drain plug.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Updated pics

What you need For trans case AN -6 port oring fitting to -8 AN male fitting. Then of course 45deg pushloc -8 AN fitting and -8 straight pushloc fitting. To the trans cooler of course you can figure out. The 45 degree will be your pressure line.

Comparison to the old 3/8ths barb to the 1/2 barb

Last edited by 91parkave; 06-22-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet man you have great timing on this post i have a small leak from my top rad line where i cut in the cooler at so this would be a great opportunity to run new lines and put my ext filter on that i have had sitting on my toolbox will these also fit in the radiator because i think those one are the real bastards to get out i caught hell on the bottom one changing my radiator a couple months ago
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Sweet man you have great timing on this post i have a small leak from my top rad line where i cut in the cooler at so this would be a great opportunity to run new lines and put my ext filter on that i have had sitting on my toolbox will these also fit in the radiator because i think those one are the real bastards to get out i caught hell on the bottom one changing my radiator a couple months ago
are you still using that factory rad cooler?and im not exactly sure on the thread size of the fittings on the radiator side. im running standalone plus an external filter
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91parkave
are you still using that factory rad cooler?and im not exactly sure on the thread size of the fittings on the radiator side. im running standalone plus an external filter
Yes i have both hooked up should i not? I have the biggest one bennet sells as a external
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Yes i have both hooked up should i not? I have the biggest one bennet sells as a external
standalone man especially since your in florida and have a high output car. your also dropping the pressure significantly during WOT going through two coolers. switch to standalone and run your external filter so your trans can live long and happy. BTW in your tune did you ever make any more changes to your trans tables?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Does it look like a -8 fitting/Line could fit in there? Is there enough room?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ackbar00
Does it look like a -8 fitting/Line could fit in there? Is there enough room?
definatley is. I'm sure you could find a -6 to -8 somewhere -8 is equivalent to like 1/2 inch line which will flow a lot.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

My cooler has -8 on it, so I was courious if it would fit.

And they do have a fitting:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%26%23039%...85086/10002/-1
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ackbar00
My cooler has -8 on it, so I was courious if it would fit.

And they do have a fitting:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%26%23039%...85086/10002/-1
That's awesome if I wouldn't have done -6 already I would do that
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91parkave
standalone man especially since your in florida and have a high output car. your also dropping the pressure significantly during WOT going through two coolers. switch to standalone and run your external filter so your trans can live long and happy. BTW in your tune did you ever make any more changes to your trans tables?
Ok ill do that this weekend get rid of rad and go straight to standalone could u give me a exact parts list and what exactly to order the best way with the #8 stuff what hose how many fittings the whole nine... And yes shift points were changed on the dyno to try to stay in the power band and line pressure was bumped up a little bit thats all that i know that was changed i had my tuner there with me to help as we were playing with the afr also witch was about right on 12.7 with his last tune when i did my mani swap
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Only reason I am looking at -8 is my cooler has -8 ends on it. -6 should be plenty.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the small write up
Ive been trying to look up the fitting sizes with no luck until you posted these. I was going to grab a TEP trans cooler, but didnt want to shell out a crazy 225bucks
http://shop.tripleedgeperformance.co...CoolerKit1.htm
I know theres a bunch of coolers that have the 6an line fittings welded in the side that would make this install super easy then too..
Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Updated main post
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

which way does the cooler flow? Because im pretty sure the goons that did my trans last year messed up. So Right now i just have my aux cooler. line coming out of the trans is going to the bottom of the cooler and the return line out of the top of the cooler is going to the trans... I just did this today and it seemed weird and after driving it the temps never went down got to about 200 in 30 minutes.

I remember when I installed my trans last year and flushed both coolers there was a check valve but I don't remember which way it was. If anyone could chime in with info that be great
Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 AM

According to tep 04+ transmissions do not have checkvalves.of course you should verify with him... for my cooler install i am completley standalone and run pressure to top of cooler and return from the bottom

Quick Reply: Converting trans to AN lines