LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Consensus on GXP rear camber

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consensus on GXP rear camber

I've noticed some wear on the insides of my rear tires, just as everyone else states too. I'm wondering if theres any way to prevent this without camber bolts? I'd like to keep it close to stock handleing....maybe the alignment or toe is out of it?

I see all kinds of other vehicles on the road with a lot of negative camber and they all seem to keep their tires just fine.

It sucks to waste a perfectly good tire since only the insides of mine are worn whereas the rest of the tire looks brand new...
Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

I've been wondering the same thing. I noticed the camber, but not any excessive wear on the tires (granted they're fairly new, probably put on shortly before I bought the car).
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Common issue with gxp/ss cars get some camber bolts for the rear to correct it and have a alignment done
Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZSpeed07
Common issue with gxp/ss cars get some camber bolts for the rear to correct it and have a alignment done
I've read about the camber bolts but won't that change all the factory handleing and ride?

The wear isn't crazy, just a little more than the rest of the tire so I'd like to keep it close to stock. I'll go get an alignment done atleast though, as I have read it could actually be the toe angle and not the camber.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't noticed a crazy amount of extra wear on the inside of my rear tires.

However, I do look at it as a reason to take spirited curves and such to even the wear out.

Might as well use the whole tire. You can also rotate the tires side to side when they are starting to show wear on the inside by flipping the tire around or having it mounted on the other side. Then the inside becomes the outside.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax

However, I do look at it as a reason to take spirited curves and such to even the wear out.

Might as well use the whole tire. You can also rotate the tires side to side when they are starting to show wear on the inside by flipping the tire around or having it mounted on the other side. Then the inside becomes the outside.
Man I was actually thinking about doing this exact same thing lol. I think I'll probably do that.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Technically if you have to much negative camber then your vehicle is not handling they way it was intended to by gm... With that being said the coupe tenths of a degree won't be noticeable but will drastically alter the way your tires wear.

I work at a dealership and recently completed my factory training for suspension geometry but with that being said in the performance side for racing purposes camber is generally added a bit to help with cornering.

When I got my impala the back tires were worn to the cords on the inner edge but the center out I had a even 7/32nds so I corrected that right away cause my car is more daily driven then track driven
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax

I'd recommend against that cause when thread gets to the end of its life the ability to grip depreciates greatly compared to when the tire is new. The compound of the tire gets harder as the tread wears down
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSpeed07
I'd recommend against that cause when thread gets to the end of its life the ability to grip depreciates greatly compared to when the tire is new. The compound of the tire gets harder as the tread wears down
That has more to do with age than anything. My tires might only be a year old and the inside is worn more than the outside, but not worn out so I have them rotated. Its not a problem. Esp if the "inside" is now the outside and rarely if even coming into contact with the pavement.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Ya I hear ya. I agree with duramax though as my tires aren't that old either. I bought the car used a year and a half ago. The tires looked like they were brand new as there was no uneven wear yet.

I did the switch suggested and so far so good.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are set up like this out of the factory as part of their high performance handling package. I went to a hole in the wall shop the old man ordered some bolts and fixed the camber, probably four years ago, haven't needed to replace the rear tires since.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna get an alignment done first.

Check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...nt-issues.html

The guy in there who works for GM said it all had to do with his Toe angle. So I'm going to try there first. Only because I would really like to leave the appearance and handling of the car as close to stock as possible. If that doesn't work then I'll be getting camber bolts with my next set of tires lol.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pauls325
They are set up like this out of the factory as part of their high performance handling package. I went to a hole in the wall shop the old man ordered some bolts and fixed the camber, probably four years ago, haven't needed to replace the rear tires since.
So after talking to my shop it sounds like they're going to do that. Said they actually have to take out one of the bolts or something to do the alignment anyway? (Hard to hear on cellphone).

Anyway, did it completely remove the camber? And did you notice different handling?

As much as it sucked I sort of want a little camber still just to keep with the whole performance thing of the car.

Quick Reply: Consensus on GXP rear camber