LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

saving up to get the monte ss with the ls4

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saving up to get the monte ss with the ls4

Hi guys im saving up to get a monte with the ls4. The reason being I love monte carlo's, and I currently have a g body monte and plan on doing a LS swap but I have to put that project on hold.

So I plan getting this car so I can drive it and go to LS meets, I also wanna get the most N/A hp I can get out of it, I dont have the car but I already have a ls6 intake so im going to put that on it, and a header setup for the ls4. But when I get the car 1st thing I plan on doing is the transmission, I wanna be able to do it right the 1st time I want maybe a little bit more of a lower gear than stock, and I dont want a huge stall, I wanna be able to drive comfortable on the highway. I do plan on spraying it but maybe a year after I get it.

So what im asking is what gear and I guess converter would be a good set up for the tranny, I plan on getting everything for tep, next would be with maybe ported heads, ls6 intake, headers, no cat, either magnaflow or borla muffler system, and a tune with DoD disabled completely how much hp could I get with this, also what cams are out there for the ls4 I looking for good power, reliability, and nice v8 idle and good with nitrous.

my goal is possibly 400 whp if possible n/a and 450-475 with nitrous, wanna build for driving and meets like ls fest but want impressive number on a dyno thanks guys for the help and I won't be getting the car til a little after Christmas just wanna go ahead and get info, the car has 58,000 miles

Last edited by 91parkave; 12-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 83monteLS
Hi guys im saving up to get a monte with the ls4. The reason being I love monte carlo's, and I currently have a g body monte and plan on doing a LS swap but I have to put that project on hold. So I plan getting this car so I can drive it and go to LS meets, I also wanna get the most N/A hp I can get out of it, I dont have the car but I already have a ls6 intake so im going to put that on it, and a header setup for the ls4. But when I get the car 1st thing I plan on doing is the transmission, I wanna be able to do it right the 1st time I want maybe a little bit more of a lower gear than stock, and I dont want a huge stall, I wanna be able to drive comfortable on the highway. I do plan on spraying it but maybe a year after I get it. So what im asking is what gear and I guess converter would be a good set up for the tranny, I plan on getting everything for tep, next would be with maybe ported heads, ls6 intake, headers, no cat, either magnaflow or borla muffler system, and a tune with DoD disabled completely how much hp could I get with this, also what cams are out there for the ls6 I looking for good power, deniability, and nice v8 idle and good with nitrous, my goal is possibly 400 whp if possible n/a and 450-475 with nitrous, wanna build for driving and meets like ls fest but want impressive number on a dyno thanks guys for the help and I won't be getting the car til a little after Christmas just wanna go ahead and get info, the car has 58,000 miles
That was a rough first post, but good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Teching In

finally have a 07 monte ss, 106,000 miles wanting to do simple mods
Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 83monteLS
finally have a 07 monte ss, 106,000 miles wanting to do simple mods
106k miles?

Park it til you can TEP the trans. Otherwise it's a timebomb.

no. i am not joking. i am being serious.

at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM til you get the full TEP treatment...you NEED to do something...drop that transmission pan and do the Transgo shift kit and a new filter/fluid. add a Transmission cooler too.

forget anything else until all preventative maintenance is done.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
That was a rough first post, but good luck.
Concur, and fixed enough to be consumed.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Immediatley get that pan dropped for fluid filter change, and install a trans cooler (preferably in standalone) with the shift kit. Get a tune done immediatley it will prevent alot of ****.

Transmissioms can be a hit or miss it seems. Some have trouble some dont. Im at 102 k on nitrous and e85 with no issues to date. Then again i chamge my fluid 2 times a year and have it tuned along with upgraded lines,shift kit, and external trans filter as well.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Here is a video of a GXP with the same motor. His mods are in the comments. He also has true duals (pictures on Instagram) There are videos of this car beating terminator cobras and turbo supras on his channel. FYI This gxp is not the one I have

Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Teching In

I cant park it, its my daily right now, and the transmission isn't acting up yet. im gonna get a trans flush and filter with cooler next time I get paid, and tax time I am getting a tep transmission. hopefully the last one he offers for 450+whp, im not doing any performance upgrade til summer. just gonna do the studying and research first to see what im gonna set my hp goal at. I know the car is like 303 hp at the crank, and maybe 270 at the wheels. so that would make me wanna shoot for 350-370 to the wheels at the most, and I know a cold air intake and a tune couldn't get me that, so im asking like what do u guys do for mods and what hp have u achieved with certain mods. but indeed my transmission is 1st priority.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Whatever u do....do not flush the transmission just drop the pan and replace the filter.

Heres a good writeup to go by.
http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/79486-DIY-How-To-Install-TransGo-Shift-Kit-4T65E-Very-Detailed-Pictures?highlight=transgo

Quick Reply: saving up to get the monte ss with the ls4