LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

changing battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing battery

car is a 2006 i was reading a post on what to disconnect first but can't seem to find it. it was here or on the ls4 website. any help would be appreciated
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Positive then negative.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

then hook negative up first thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars and their computer systems are very delicate as far as the electrical system. All the power runs from Positive to Negative.
(as in Positive voltage is applied almost everywhere and the computers control the grounds)
Because of this it is very important to disconnect the Negative first and re-connect it last.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

thanks for help there seems to be a difference of opinions. maybe some other people could help out. would be nice for everyone to know for sure. I'm going to see if i can do a little more research. if i can come up with a definitive answer i will post it.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m1a2d3
thanks for help there seems to be a difference of opinions. maybe some other people could help out. would be nice for everyone to know for sure. I'm going to see if i can do a little more research. if i can come up with a definitive answer i will post it.
Dont think you will, ive been doing positive then negative forever no sparks no issues ever....but some will say the other way around because theyve never had issues
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove negative first because the entire car is connected to the negative terminal via ground cables , so theoretically when you touch anything metal on your car its grounded to Negative, with that said the reason i remove negative first is that way when you remove positive you don't accidentally short positive to ground with your ratchet or something during removal. This in my opinion is the ONLY reason negative is removed first

Regardless in my opinion it does not really matter which way you disconnect it as long as you don't create a short on accident which you have a higher chance of if you don't remove negative first. , Power is flowing or it is not , someone mentioned about everything being ground switched , this is simply not true , both methods are employed as far as ground switched vs power feed switched.

Last edited by Sint3k; 11-29-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:43 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Negative ground... Always disconnect the negative terminal first.

I had a hell of a time just getting the old battery out. I swear they installed the battery first then everything else when manufacturing the car. Damn fuse box just wouldn't get out of the way, not enough slack on the wire harness.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah its almost a two person job. You need someone to hold the fuse box up while you turn the battery to slide it in the bay.

Quick Reply: changing battery